300 wsm

tndanny

anyone have any good loads for a 300 wsm shooting accubonds ? have a model 7 remington with 23 inch we shaw barrel any help would be great...thanks

I'd probably start out with a bullet that has a short OAL. Since you have a model 7 (I think they are just a hair smaller than a 700 short action?) you will not be able to seat your bullets very far out. A longer bullet will eat up your powder space.

Here is one of my favorite: 180grn Accubond, 67 grn of reloader 22 powder, Remington brass, Federal match 215 primer, over all cartridge lenth 2.86, 2970 fps. I get 1/2 groups at 200 yrds.

I shoot a different gun but you might try it and see how you do.

H4350 and IMR 4831 would also be good powders to play with. Check reloading manuals for max loads and always work up.

I like RL22 as well, but have a hard time finding it.

I shoot a Sako Finnlight 300WSM and I shoot 180 Grain Barnes Triple Shock bullets. Loaded up with 66 grains of IMR 4350, it is dialed. 64 grains shot well too.

RE 19 performed well too but not quite as good as the IMR 4350.

This thread is good info for me. Im just starting to reload and I'd like to get a good load for my weatherby vanguard 300wsm shooting accubonds. The factory ammo I use shoots great but at $50 a box, I can't shoot as much as I'd like.

MNHunter-The load I posted above I'm using in my vangard...180 grn accubonds great for elk and the groups are tight...so tight I really don't want to mess around with any more combos for that gun.
However, I bought a box of 150 grn surroco bullets I'd like to play around with and see how tight I can get them. If anyone has a good recipe for those please post it.

MNHunter-did you give it a try and what where the results? I'm curious if you end up with similar results.

I haven't tried it yet. I am brand new to reloading and it will be a while to get to a range to shoot where I live. Plus, with it being so friggin cold here I am not in a hurry to get out and shoot :) Last year I was able to get out in late Feb / early March. I'll let you know.

thanks

Went out to the range yesterday since it wa balmy 30 degrees. Tried 180 gr accubond with 67gr of RL22. I also tried IMR4831 with loads of 63.5 and 65.5gr. I achieved solid groupings from all three loads though the 65.5gr of IMR were compressed and the casses showed signs of excessive pressure. Accuracy wise I was happy, velocity wise I wasn't. With the aforementioned combos the velocity was significantly less than I hoped for. I have no room to increase the IMR but I will try to up the RL22 and see if I can keep the tight groups.
Thanks to all those that offered recipes.

Not sure if you have shot any of the 150 grainers but my 300 WSM shoots them great with the 23 inch barrel.

MNHunter-what kind of velocities did you end up with? The RL19 idea is getting me interested.

I was getting very consistant readings in the 2740 fps range with the RL22 and pretty similar with 63.5 gr of IMR. With the 65.5 IMR I was getting 2880s, closer to the factory Winchesters which read between 2940-2980.

I'm going to load up a few RL22 in 68 gr, 68.5 and 69 (max load) and see if I can keep the groupings with increased velocity. I'm going to try some of the other powders mentioned earlier as well. Will probably be another month or so before I get a pass from the wife to spend a day at the range again though :(

RL 22 burns so dang slow I hope it is finished flashing before the bullet leaves the barrel or the velocity won't increase. The other thing that might increase velocity is a different primer that burns the poweder more efficiently. I can't remember the velocity I was getting but I thought it was around 2980. Perhaps I can get out Saturday and check it.

For the life of me I can't get a hold of 215 Federal primers that I want so I'm using Winchesters rigt now...could that make that much of a difference???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back