Caribou Gear Tarp

300 WSM ADG Question

OpenCountry

I should be picking up my new 300 WSM this next week so I figured I’d load up some bullets today with what components I had around that I don’t use much. My plan was to burn up some 180 ETIPs until I switch over to an Accubond load after shooting the gun a bit.

Nosler manual shows H4831SC 65.5 grains (96% load density), 67.5 grains (99%), and 69.5 grains (102%) using nosler brass.

I loaded 5 up with ADG brass, 65.5 H4831SC and the 180 ETIP. It compressed powder on all 5. How far are you guys backing off with new ADG brass? I would’ve thought I was fine with the 65.5. Figured I’d reach out and see what you guys thought.

I should be picking up my new 300 WSM this next week so I figured I’d load up some bullets today with what components I had around that I don’t use much. My plan was to burn up some 180 ETIPs until I switch over to an Accubond load after shooting the gun a bit.

Nosler manual shows H4831SC 65.5 grains (96% load density), 67.5 grains (99%), and 69.5 grains (102%) using nosler brass.

I loaded 5 up with ADG brass, 65.5 H4831SC and the 180 ETIP. It compressed powder on all 5. How far are you guys backing off with new ADG brass? I would’ve thought I was fine with the 65.5. Figured I’d reach out and see what you guys thought.
Got rid of my ADG brass. Good luck. mtmuley

Did you run into issues or just prefer something else?

For clarification by being fine I meant I didn’t think I’d be compressed at the starting load for other responses.
No issues. Just don't need it. I can load every cartridge I want to do everything I want without the added useless worry of the brass I use. mtmuley

The reason for compression would be because non lead bullets are longer compared to the same weight lead bullet. Those load density numbers you are seeing I’m guessing are for the lead bullets and probably the shorter partition
This.

Also ADG brass typically has thicker walls, so less internal volume. I’d back off the full 10% and work back up.

I honestly don't like how nosler groups all of their 175-180 bullets together with the same powder charges. The e tip is a long bulet. What coal are you using? Nosler #8 shows 2.8. For reference I use a coal of 2.99 on the 178 absolute hammer.
I think you need to get the gun first measure your clip and throat then build to that.
Also you should measure the h2o capacity of your brass

Attachments

• 20230819_204939.jpg
    20230819_204939.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
I think you need to get the gun first measure your clip and throat then build to that.
Also you should measure the h2o capacity of your brass
This is how I’ve done it with my other rifles and haven’t had an issue finding an accurate load. May just need to be patient on it until I can measure it.

I shoot 300wsm on the regular in 4 different platforms, it's my go to caliber.
I don't think Etips will function satisfactory in any short magnum... the best groups I could get was 3-4" in those rifles .
Etips are on always on sale @ SPS w/promotions for a reason. ....
Look elsewhere if you're interested in non lead options....

I find it interesting that Nosler only has the Setup seated only 0.030" deeper than their lead core bullets.
Most mono's would have you give them a 0.050" jump to start with.

Of course until you get the rifle, you have no idea how far it is to the lands.

Personally I'd pull the bullets and dump the powder back into the jug until I got the rifle.

I shoot 300wsm on the regular in 4 different platforms, it's my go to caliber.
I don't think Etips will function satisfactory in any short magnum... the best groups I could get was 3-4" in those rifles .
Etips are on always on sale @ SPS w/promotions for a reason. ....
Look elsewhere if you're interested in non lead options....
I have 165/180 accubonds and 175LRX set aside as well. I originally picked up the etips for my 300 win mag. I was hoping to burn up the rest just to clean out the inventory.

I don't care for compressed loads. Means to me with lead core bullet's that the powder is actually to slow for the cartridge. Depending on how much compression you have it's possible for the powder to push the bullet out a bit. Might change things! I try to seat bullet's to just off the lands if they will fit in the magazine. Don't fit in the magazine then seat to fit in the magazine with just a bit of clearance. Like it best if I can seat the bullet base to the junction of the neck and shoulder. As for monolithic bullet's, never use them so no clue what it might mean other than a compressed load could still move the bullet out a bit. As for case's, never heard of ADG brand case's. I shoot what I think I can afford, usually either Win with lead core bullet's or military with cast bullet's. Doesn't bother me at all to use someone other than the bullet maker's data to load so long as it's a lead core bullet. I simply back off 10% and take it from there. Has never caused me a problem. Also if I switch to a different brass I'll start low and work back up. primer's I just switch out but I don't substitute magnum primer's for standard primer's. Don't know if it would really hurt anything or not but know not doing it doesn't hurt a thing for sure!

I load 180 accubonds into Nosler brass with 4831sc. I’m loading them longer than book and IIRC I’m getting compressed loads ~66.5 grains. If you’re worried about it change powders now because you’ll compressing low/mid range loads with the accubonds to.

4831 with a 300wsm loaded to SAAMI length is just going to frequently be compressed with 180+ grain bullets. A mono makes it worse.

For what it’s worth it seems my adg SAUM brass is in the same ballpark as Norma saum brass for case capacity.

I am using 300wsm Norma and 175 lrx with r19 but did not notice any crunching. I am looking to drop bullet weight to 130s but haven’t sat down to fill any cases.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back