Yeti GOBOX Collection

.300 WSM for Pronghorn?

Would a .300 WSM shooting a 130 gr. TTSX be too much for pronghorn? At this time I do have other options available but if my wife or son wanted to hunt as well, I would be using my elk rifle.

I am new to everything pronghorn so please excuse my ignorance.
Sweet Mother of Jesus!! When I saw this I nearly swallowed my tongue, thinking really?? But then I reigned myself in and realized that I shoot Antelope with a .270 140 gr. Hornady SST‘s 😳! Like someone said on a previous thread, it looks like an IED went off inside.

Your choice will do just fine!

Why blast ants with a bazooka? They are NOT that big. Powder capacity & Boom will never surpass just a good old accurate shot with a '08 caliber cartridge.

I’ve shot two pronghorn with a .300 wsm with 185 gr Berger’s. No meat loss. I’ve shot larger grain bullets for many years now. Is the 130 grain your go to for all game?

Fun fact.

If you neck down a 300 wsm to 25 caliber, making a 25-300 wsm.

That cartridge is called the 25 pronghorn.

If you get a fast twist, you can shoot the new bigger 25's really fast. (~3200 FPS) [Berger's G1 BC is 0.65 if that matters]

134 ELD X

131 ACE

135 Berger

Or you can get a little copper bullet and shoot laser beams (~3800 FPS) [Max Point blank range of 420 yards or so]

90 CX

80 TTSX

92 Hammer Hunter

Do with this information, however you wish.
Thanks a lot, now I know how I'm going to rebarrel my Kimber.
2023 no new gun resolution almost made it a month

I’ve shot two pronghorn with a .300 wsm with 185 gr Berger’s. No meat loss. I’ve shot larger grain bullets for many years now. Is the 130 grain your go to for all game?
No, I have both 168 and 180 grain loads already. As I have not hunted prongs before, I was trying to determine if a lighter load would be a better option than what I currently have available in the event I would have to shoot a .300 wsm instead of my go to 7mm-08.

No, I have both 168 and 180 grain loads already. As I have not hunted prongs before, I was trying to determine if a lighter load would be a better option than what I currently have available in the event I would have to shoot a .300 wsm instead of my go to 7mm-08.
I am a firm believer in shooting the bullet that shoots the best out of my rifle, no matter what I’m hunting. I caught hell for years for shooting 165 grain bullets in 30-06 for Columbia blacktail deer.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t overkill like it would be here in a lot of KY. And who knows, if I make a 130 gr. load I like I might use it here too.
I’ve killed several deer here in Eastern Kentucky with 180 grain bullets with no issues at all.

I wouldn’t feel bad using any bullet in 300 wsm as long as you shoot through the lungs. But I load 125 grain nosler ballistic tips for antelope and smaller game.

Since I once shot a young mule deer barely bigger than a lope with a 300WM trophy copper bullet I am definitely for shoot what you got. But Did want to say there is an older video where Randy is reloading with somebody important at Nosler and I think he specifically warns against shooting an antelope with a 300WM E-tip and similar performing monos. Something about being so fast the slower opening bullet doesn’t expand fully in the narrow body cavity. Not sure what/if lighter for caliber bullets effetc that. I watched the video like 3 years ago so don’t quote me on what he says. 😜

I thought it would be over kill but my buddy shot one last year and the bullet didn’t even exit. I was shocked think it was 150 corlock. 180 yards shot.

I use my 300wsm with 180gr accubonds and it works great. I wouldnt try to hit the shoulder but Ive never had an issue with it.

Since I once shot a young mule deer barely bigger than a lope with a 300WM trophy copper bullet I am definitely for shoot what you got. But Did want to say there is an older video where Randy is reloading with somebody important at Nosler and I think he specifically warns against shooting an antelope with a 300WM E-tip and similar performing monos. Something about being so fast the slower opening bullet doesn’t expand fully in the narrow body cavity. Not sure what/if lighter for caliber bullets effetc that. I watched the video like 3 years ago so don’t quote me on what he says. 😜
That important guy needed to stand next to me as I dumped an antelope buck with my RUM and 180 E-Tip. mtmuley

For 17 years my go to rifle was my 300 WSM. It killed pretty much every big game critter that lives in NA, except moose and grizz.

Your 300 WSM will work just fine. Personally I'd load a 165 or 180 gr. Nosler Accubond, Partition, or E-tip and not worry a bit. I'd also use any of these for all the critters I hunted the 300 WSM with. I used a 140 gr. Accubond on my 7 1/2' grizzly bear on the North side of the Brooks range. One shot is all it took. That was in a 280AI.

Back