.300 Win Mag vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Can happen with any cartridge. Shitty shooters with mildly recoiling cartridges are a problem also. mtmuley
Much as I would like to agree with that, I never blame a cartridge. I believe every cartridge is capable of killing cleanly any animal in North America IF, the shooter chose's the right bullet in that cartridge and IF the shooter knows really how to best use the cartridge as to shot placement and range and IF the shooter lives within that range. Several IF's there but I can't imagine them not being there especially depending on the cartridge you shoot. Larger cartridges with heavier bullets increase the kill zone to some degree, at time a lot. A 22 Hornet with say a 55gr solid will kill any elk as dead as anyone's 338 Mag but at much less range and with a lot less recoil and less spots for good shot placement.

The mild recoiling cartridge's is what I'd disagree with. I believe a fair shooter can become a better shooter by shooting a milder cartridge. Ever wonder why some people can't shoot their 30-30 for didlly but wipe your eye with their 22RF? Recoil!

Much as I would like to agree with that, I never blame a cartridge. I believe every cartridge is capable of killing cleanly any animal in North America IF, the shooter chose's the right bullet in that cartridge and IF the shooter knows really how to best use the cartridge as to shot placement and range and IF the shooter lives within that range. Several IF's there but I can't imagine them not being there especially depending on the cartridge you shoot. Larger cartridges with heavier bullets increase the kill zone to some degree, at time a lot. A 22 Hornet with say a 55gr solid will kill any elk as dead as anyone's 338 Mag but at much less range and with a lot less recoil and less spots for good shot placement.

The mild recoiling cartridge's is what I'd disagree with. I believe a fair shooter can become a better shooter by shooting a milder cartridge. Ever wonder why some people can't shoot their 30-30 for didlly but wipe your eye with their 22RF? Recoil!
Is that a 55gr wooden solid in that hornet?

The 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't get a lot of love on this forum. Perhaps it has to do with all of the extraordinary claims about the cartridge. In contrast many here extol the virtues of the 7mm-08. I really don't get it. The difference between these two is insignificant. My personal experience with the creed is its just a little less powerful than my 270. Put a good bullet in it and it will get it done at reasonable ranges with good shot placement. Its no 300 wm though. That is a substantially more powerful round. If you can shoot it well go for it. I've seen those who can't and that extra power doesn't replace good shot placement. I remember when a friend who moved up to a 300 wm because of all the hype. He didn't shoot it well but took it hunting anyway. He then gut shot an elk with it. The elk stood there and he fired 2 more rounds but didn't hit it. In frustration he asked me to put him down. I put him down with my 06. Power isn't everything. Personally I think more people are better served with a good 06 or a 7mm rem mag for a general hunting rifle. They have excellent performance with less recoil. Just my 2 cents

I have shot about 30 Pennsylvania deer with the 6.5 creed in the last 5 years. I have no complaints at all with the cartridge. Also picked up a weatherby in 6.5x300 last year and shot a couple with it. Its all about shot placement.

I have shot about 30 Pennsylvania deer with the 6.5 creed in the last 5 years. I have no complaints at all with the cartridge. Also picked up a weatherby in 6.5x300 last year and shot a couple with it. Its all about shot placement.
I bought a 6.5 a couple years on a whim because it was a good deal. It has turned out to be one of my favorite guns. It shoots great and I am amazed at how flat the trajectory is. I zeroed it in at 100 yards and was consistently hitting inside the kill zone at 250 with no adjustments. It certainly doesn’t carry the punch of my 300 win mag, but I would feel comfortable using on deer or elk.

There's a basic truth here we always seem to miss. Shoot any animal properly with the cartridge and bullet in use and you have a dead animal.

Back