300 win mag vs 300prc vs 30 nosler vs 300 RUM

I'm not sure an elk would know the difference between any of those. They are all good performers. I would go 300 win mag simply based on cost.

Well that is not true.
When it comes to killing elk at reasonable ranges (perhaps to 500 yards) they certainly are.

And let’s look at the Hodgdon reloading manual for these 4 cartridges with 200gr projectiles and the fastest speed with a Hodgdon powder.

300 Win Mag 2962fps
300 PRC 2916fps
30 Nosler 2943fps
300 RUM 3048fps

Or look at Nosler load data.

300 Win Mag 2989fps
300 PRC No data
30 Nosler 3080fps
300 RUM 3185fps

Looks pretty similar to me. And a 200 fps difference between the slowest and the fastest won’t make a difference within 500 yards when it comes to killing an elk.

Last edited:
Curious what people have to say if they had a choice between the above 4 cartridges for a elk rifle what would you choose and why?
I'm considering upgrading my xbolt HCLR 300 win mag. I have interest in a Fierce build or m48 nosler mountain carbon LR but I'm in the early stages. Haven't even priced out my xbolt to sell yet stages.
Just curious what people on here have to say.
If those were the only choices I would never hunt elk. Problem being I hate shooting magnum cartridges, recoil sucks! I can think of a number of different cartridge's with far less recoil that would work just as well. Of course if recoil just doesn't bother you, seems it doesn't bother many, then I suspect each cartridge will work well! The animals killed with one will be just as dead as the animals killed with one of the other's. The cartridges mentioned you should go out and shoot. There is no magic in a cartridge but there is in the shooter's ability to handle the cartridge choosen.

My .300 Weatherby has never seen a factory cartridge but it has killed a pile of critters in Montana, Texas, New Zealand, Azerbaijan, South Africa, and Mozambique.

Even with Barnes bullets, my reloads are only a fraction of the cost of factory shells with any kind of bullets.

As for the number of elk that I've actually killed, more than 25 of them were with my .30-06/.30 Gibbs, and all of them were killed at less than 350 yards.

300 RUM is great but difficult to load with long heavy projectiles and keep them at magazine length. Very few factory ammo options.
This is a good point. had a 7mm mag years ago that simply would not shoot lighter bullet's for hunting as well as I wanted. Rifle was an L61R Sako. So I had a gunsmith lengthen the distance to the threads to where I could seat the bullet's out farther in the case and still have them work in the magazine. Reason to involved but then I believed seating the bullet to the base of the neck was the best choice, in that rifle it seems to prove to me I was right. Something I didn't consider was the length of the action! I was going to try the same thing with a 6mm Rem in a Rem 700 and tried seating out a 100 gr bullet's where I wanted it and it would not go into the magazine. never did get that 6mm to shoot as well as I wanted! Seems that long action Sako was a bit longer than a long Rem 700. Was going to try the same thing with a Rem 700 in 7mm mag and ran into the same problem I had with the 6mm! There s European company, I forget who, the at least used to make actions in five different length's. Just can't remember who but someone here probably will

When it comes to killing elk at reasonable ranges (perhaps to 500 yards) they certainly are.

And let’s look at the Hodgdon reloading manual for these 4 cartridges with 200gr projectiles and the fastest speed with a Hodgdon powder.

300 Win Mag 2962fps
300 PRC 2916fps
30 Nosler 2943fps
300 RUM 3048fps

Or look at Nosler load data.

300 Win Mag 2989fps
300 PRC No data
30 Nosler 3080fps
300 RUM 3185fps

Looks pretty similar to me. And a 200 fps difference between the slowest and the fastest won’t make a difference within 500 yards when it comes to killing an elk.
Those numbers don't tell the whole story of these cartridges. You are robbing the RUM big time taking it's numbers from a 24" barrel. I am not personally familiar with all 4 but in particular comparing the 300 Win to the 300 Rum you are talking about a 20%+ case volume and a chamber that can handle 2,600psi higher chamber pressures. Give the gun enough barrel to burn all that powder and it starts to distance itself more than you are showing with those book numbers.

Do you reload?

If not then 300WinMag. If you do then 300WinMag.

Let's be honest if you're not reloading then you have no need for a long range cartridge and a 3006 is really what you want.
I've said this before, but I think a .30-06 AI with a Hammer Hunter at extra high velocity would be a killer in .30 cal. mtmuley

I'd love to have a month to just shoot each one and dial up loads. Starting to get cold here in MN so I start thinking about how I can improve my firepower for next year. I know there is a lot of excellent options out there besides the .308 but I just like that caliber. Everyone has there thing.. some archers like fast and light and I like moderate speed and heavy arrows. I like to have the same approach with my reloads. 190-210gr with respectable velocities. If I make the next upgrade in my rifle I really want to be sure. I completely understand the component deal. I have alot of respect for the RUM. I'm curious about the Nosler, don't know enough about the PRC and I love the 300WIN. Its like my old horse rock solid, does everything you ask and if I spend a little more time on him he's tough to beat.
Good stuff to read. You guys are making my muzzleloader sits much more enjoyable

I'd love to have a month to just shoot each one and dial up loads. Starting to get cold here in MN so I start thinking about how I can improve my firepower for next year. I know there is a lot of excellent options out there besides the .308 but I just like that caliber. Everyone has there thing.. some archers like fast and light and I like moderate speed and heavy arrows. I like to have the same approach with my reloads. 190-210gr with respectable velocities. If I make the next upgrade in my rifle I really want to be sure. I completely understand the component deal. I have alot of respect for the RUM. I'm curious about the Nosler, don't know enough about the PRC and I love the 300WIN. Its like my old horse rock solid, does everything you ask and if I spend a little more time on him he's tough to beat.
Good stuff to read. You guys are making my muzzleloader sits much more enjoyable
Load the 166 Hammer and don't look back. mtmuley

The only one I wouldn't consider is the RUM. Just too overbore for my tastes.

300wm - Most factory ammo available. Negative is the belt and possibly having to body size with a specialized die. More than enough juice IMO.
300PRC - Nice factory design for long slick bullets, not crazy overbore. Only real negative for a handloader is a factory chamber might end up with clicker issues
300 N - Just a little more juice than i want in a hunting rifle. SAAMI freebore is a little short for the heavy bullets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back