Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

300 Rum powder

dainer

I just picked up a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. From what I have read, Retumbo seems to be everyone's go to powder. However, it always seems to be extremely hard to come by.

I have kegs of IMR 4350 and 4831, everything else is for varmint rifles. Don't think I want to bother with any of these.

My question is this. Would you way overpay for retumbo, or will I be ok using imr 7828, us869, or 50bmg. Planning on using the 200 accubond. Is it worth getting a lb of the 3 listed that are available? Are you confident in buying a keg of any without shooting the rifle?

Let's here some thoughts!

*edit*.

I bought 2 lbs of H-1000, 7828, and us869...

Last edited:
Sub inch with 7828 on a heretofore finicky 7 RUM. 75.2 g w/ no pressure signs, good speed 150 gr TSX...just under 3000 fps w/ 180 Hunting VLD (diff powder weight)...virtually same poi

Nosler lists Ramshot Magnum as the most accurate powder for the 200gr slugs in the .300RUM. May try that one as well. RL25, IMR7828, H4831sc, and H1000 also may work. Retumbo would absolutely be my first choice, but if you don't want to overpay... The above powders may work well.

I would not be comfortable buying a keg w/o testing the powder in the rifle first. Try a few powders, find a load that works for your needs then buy a keg.

I'd go with a lb of Retumbo and see how it shoots. If it works, start looking for some 8lb jugs. I picked up several 8lb'rs the other day at $167 a jug. They were no more expensive than any other powders the guy had in stock...

Triple BB- did you find the Retumbo locally? The only place I have found it has been on gun broker...which was $40 a lb plus $40 hazmat. Pretty rich for my blood. Kegs were $240 plus $40 hazmat. Locally or through online retailers I haven't found any.

I've been playing with RUMs for 15 years. In the .300, Retumbo and RL-25 will probably be your best bet. I've heard good things about RL-33, but haven't had time to play with it. Using Retumbo or RL-25 you should be able to push a 200 grain Accubond to around 3200 fps. I use Remington brass and Federal primers. It's interesting Nosler lists Magnum as most accurate. In my particular rifle I could not get acceptable groups with any bullet I tried. mtmuley

I've been playing with RUMs for 15 years. In the .300, Retumbo and RL-25 will probably be your best bet. I've heard good things about RL-33, but haven't had time to play with it. Using Retumbo or RL-25 you should be able to push a 200 grain Accubond to around 3200 fps. I use Remington brass and Federal primers. It's interesting Nosler lists Magnum as most accurate. In my particular rifle I could not get acceptable groups with any bullet I tried. mtmuley

It will be interesting to see what your results will be if you try the Re 33. I could not believe how well it worked in my 7 mag and it is on the lower end of where the powder should work. I got over 3000 fps with a 175-grain bullet with 1/2 -inch accuracy from a 26-inch barrel. With a mild load, I got 3124 fps with a 160 Nosler Partition, also with 1/2 inch or so accuracy. Good stuff and I found plenty at a local shop.

It should really shine in the RUM, as those big boomers is what the powder was designed for.

Ramshot Magnum is pretty tough to find right now too, so don't get your hopes up too much.

7828 works good in my .300 Weatherby. Should be close enough for now.

Thank you all for the advice! I saw there was a thread on the 210 Nosler Acubond LR last year. Seemed the consensus was why mess with a good thing, as most guys had the 200's dialed in. Since that time, has anyone messed with the 210's much? If you were starting from scratch, would the 210 be worth it??

I hunted with the 210 gr ALR last year. Youy can find the results I posted with a search. I will tell you I'm back to the regular 200 grain Accubond this year. mtmuley

I have my best groups with 200 gr. Partitions with Magnum and OK groups with H1000. I had good results with Hodgdon 50bmg and 180's I never got around to trying it with the 200's.

Remington 700 with mcmillan stock jewell Trigger berger VLD 168 grain bullets Hodgdon RETUMBO powder 93 grain nosler brass Remington primer shot group .452 can cover group with a nickel yea well worth it.

To review my recent posts my Remington 700 with MCMILLAN stock JEWELL Trigger in 7mmRum caliber after reviewing my target closer cover 3 shot group with dime at 100 yard using Hodgdon retumbo powder 93 grain nosler brass Remington 9.5 magnum primer berger VLD 168 grain bullets well worth the effort most good things don't come easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back