300 RCM Not impressed

SST's do what they are designed for! You have to match rifle with bullets as previously mentioned, shot them under 3000 muzzle and they are great on deer sized game. When going bigger and faster do same with bullet construction. I got a pile of racks in the garage that will speak to fact they work on whitetails but I will say the bullets frag but work perfect on lung shots so again bullet placement prevents any blood shot. Out of a 300 shot a inter bond, accubond or partition or a mono, just my 2¢

CCC

Thanks for all of the comments. Buying a reload set and trying different loads is and option. The two options of bullets for this rifle (factory loads) are the SST and the GMX since I don't reload. I've shot a Remington 700BDL 25-06 for 27 years. Over the years I have lived in Wyoming, Missouri and now Nevada. My father reloaded when I was young. He was a Sierra fan and loved Sierra's. I've shot 100g Sierra BTHP, 100g NBT and now that I'm in NV I shoot 115g NP. With that said I've taken several animals at the 200 yard range similar to my wife's antelope. I cannot remember ever finding a bullet from the 25-06 that looked like my wife's SST. Last year we tagged (Myself, my wife and daughter) one mule deer, one cow elk and a bull elk with it. I guess the 25-06 has spoiled us over the years with bullet performance on my side and little recoil for the wife and daughter. I mentioned that I was going to replace the 300RCM with a 7mm-08 but now considering a 260. Does anyone shoot a 260?

Thanks again

I don't shoot one, but my buddy has one. He helped me on some deer depredation hunting a couple summers ago and I am really impressed with the rifle. It has low recoil, low muzzle blast and that long, slim bullet just plain kills stuff. The .260 kills way beyond its potential and at long range really shines due to the high BC. A .260 with a premium bullet will kill anything within reason. The 6.5x55 has been the go-to gun in Europe for moose for a reason.

The down side is that there is a limited amount of factory ammo for it. Time to start reloading!

Just my take, but if you don't reload I probably narrow my choices down to 243 and 308 in a short action. EVERY company loads for them and there's a variety of bullet styles to choose from. Either one would be sufficient for anything in NV given you choose an appropriate bullet.

I have a 25-06 that I shot with the 110 gr Accubond as well. Just curios how far you would feel comfortable shooting a Bull with that caliber? I might bring it as a back up gun for my Elk trip.

I would shoot it at an elk out to 385 yards without hesitation with my hand loads. But it is also my best grouping gun, so I know where that bullet is gonna end up every time I pull the trigger. Any further than that, the energy drops below 1500 ft. lbs.

Just my take, but if you don't reload I probably narrow my choices down to 243 and 308 in a short action. EVERY company loads for them and there's a variety of bullet styles to choose from. Either one would be sufficient for anything in NV given you choose an appropriate bullet.

I agree with 1PT. If you don't reload yourself, choose a caliber that is readily available and in many different set ups. The .243 would be my first pick. . .just my 2 cents. RJ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back