30-06

Preacher shaner

I just got a Rem 700 ADL in 30-06. I am wanting to put together a load. I would like to use it for a moose in NF but most of the time will be mule deer and elk. What grain so yall think i shoukd go with as a do all bullet.
Thanks

I80gr accubond or partition gets my vote. I'd try RL22 with either one. I'm still not sold on solid bullet performance.

I personally shoot 165's in mine and reload for my dad and brothers. It seems to be a good compromise between 150s and 180s. I have no experience with the monometal bullets but I think that would be a great choice as well. I shoot Hornady bullets at the moment, but am not a brand fanboy. I think the Nosler offerings would probably fit your bill just fine.

I'd go with a copper monolithic bullet in the 165-170 grain range. Depending on your barrel twist, you could potentially go a little higher.

I've only used one load and bullet weight in my 30-06 for years and it has served me well. I shoot a 165 gr. Nosler Accubond or Partition. It will work just fine for all the game you listed and more. IMR4350 and H4350 are two good powders to start with!
David

Barnes TTSX 168gr in front of H4350.

The 30-06 is very forgiving when it comes to hand loading. You shouldn't have much trouble finding what works for your rifle.

I’ve had great success with the following in 30-06:
165 and 168 TTSX (168 has been more finicky on load development)
165 Accubonds
180 Accubonds
RL17
I4350
RL26

Couple of years ago, fall of 2016, I used my 30-06 and one handload for four species:

mule deer @ 140 yards, one shot drop, had to administer a finishing shot when I walked up on it
antelope @ 245 yards, one shot kill
black bear @ 325 yards, one shot kill
cow elk @ 338 yards, one shot kill

Load was the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over a max charge of H4350, for good velocity and excellent accuracy. That 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is a tougher bullet than many imagine.

If I was contemplating a bullet more for elk, moose & bear, I'd change up to the 165 Nosler Partition, or perhaps one of the many 180 gr bullets available. The ol' 30-06 is a great cartridge for the hunter, and will do most of what needs to be done afield.

Regards, Guy

Another one for 168gr Barnes TTSX with H4350 behind it. An absolutely accurate and devastating on game load. One load any game for the 30-06.

180 gr. Accubond or Partition over a max load of rl22, fast and accurate. Use it in 3 different rifles.

I have a Browning 30-06 I got for Christmas when i was 16 that I want to do a hand load for this summer

Thinking about trying RL-19 and H4350 powders and Hornady ELD-x 178gr and Berger VLD Hunting 175gr.

Anyone have an opinion on these?

I built a load for my 7mm Rem Mag with 4831SC and a Berger VLD Hunting 168gr and was very happy with the results. A little extra satisfaction when tagging out using your own load.

The 165 is a great all-around bullet for the 30-06. I've used the Hornady interlocks, SST's, Interbonds, Partitions, TTSX in 165's and the 180 grain E-tip with great accuracy and velocity in my 06. I've got a new (to me) 06 that should be back home in 4-6 weeks that I'll be working up loads for using what's worked for me over the last 15 years - IMR 4350, RL 19, RL 22.

I'll give a few other powders a shot if those don't produce results, but my standard load is 57 grains of IMR 4350 & a 165 grain Interlock. I've moved over to the 165 grain TTSX for hunting needs and I'm hopeful that they will continue to be accurate in the new rifle.

If you like lead, try the interlock. At 06 velocities, you don't really need a premium bullet and the interlock offers the best mix of reliability and price, IMO. Partitions are a great bullet as well in the 06 if you want more controlled expansion.

30-06 is a fantastic do-it-all cartridge. It's 113 years old, and it's proven. It may get a yawn factor from some, but the old 30 Gov't still does what you need it to do on all North American game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back