30-06 reload info

Montana2015

Just looking for a place to get started. I recently bought a Winchester model 70, 30-06. I want to load up some Barnes 168 Grain TTSX. However, I am having trouble finding various recipes. I read on this forum that a member had good results using RL-22. Just so happens I have some of this, as well as RL-17 and RL-19. Based on experience with members, what powder should I start with. My primary goal is to use this gun for Elk. Any feedback and suggested websites, for recipes on these various powders, would be appreciated. I am using cci-250 as a primer Thanks so much.

I did not have good luck with the Reloader powders so I cannot speak for them.

Now H4350 and IMR4350 are both excellent and IMR4350 is what I use in my particular rifle . Using 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds and Partitions 57.4 grains using Federal 210 M primers is fantastic. Of course you would need to reduce that load to start with the 168 gr. TTSX.

Personally, I’d use CCI 200s instead of the 250s, but they may work just fine.

I like 4350 for the 30-06, but the three powders that you listed will work, with the RL17 probably giving the best results.

The 168 TTSX gave me fits on finding an accurate seating depth and I gave up, but others have had success with it.

Start with Barnes and Alliant online data. They should have exactly what you need.

I’d stay with magnum primers for the monos. I’ve had more consistent results with them over the years. RL16 is also an option.

Used to be a rule of thumb for selecting powder for a cartridge. Check your manual, which ever you use, look for the powder giving the fastest velocity for the bullet you want. Always seemed to work for me. Then it was simply a starting point, nothing more. Powder I've always found work well in about anything are IMR 4350, H4350, H414, RL-19. Now, is your goal to get 5/8" 100 yd groups or 3/4" groups? Your looking for a hunting load but if your like me it has to be more accurate than need be, go figure! My elk rifle is a 30-06 and I use 180gr Hornady Interlock' in it. Very old rifle built on a 1903 Springfield and barrel is very pitted. Best I've got with it is 1 1/4" groups but it has killed three elk in three yrs with one shot each while I was still elk hunting. No idea what powder I was using in it anymore.

If the TTSX doesn't shoot very well you could also try the Nosler 150 gr. or 168 gr. Nosler E-tip. I think if I used one of those that I would load the 150 gr. just for the increase in fps you will have. With the 98% weight retention they have you will have plenty of penetration!

Here are 90 gr. Accubond, 100 gr. Partition, and 90 gr. E-tip shot into gallon water jugs at 400 yards.

1593193197550.png

1593193262414.png

Good stuff those E-tips! Son's first elk was a nice cow. One shot at 350 yards with his 6mm and 90 gr. E-tip. She staggered 20 yards and dropped.

1593193463392.png

This is perhaps the most forgiving cartridge there is to hand load.
I’ve used more powders than I remember.
I have one to rifle partial to H4350. Another likes full boat loads of whatever fits in the case.
Unlike an overbored magnum, you can shoot the hell out of an ‘06 doing work ups without worrying about throat erosion.
If you find a good node I’m betting you can hit it with almost any powder that Will safely get that velocity.

In my personal 30-06 I use Barnes 168gr. TTSX with H4350 behind it. I am 1 grain below max and out of 22" barrel am getting 3000fps, with absolutely no pressure signs, accuracy is 1/2 MOA at 100yds. I use H4350 only because I have found it to be the most consistent over a wide temperature range. Some of my friends think I'm nuts, but I do go to the range and shoot in foul weather conditions and keep notes of my range sessions, I do this because if I travel to hunt, I don't let adverse weather affect my hunting. Good luck.

My .30-06 shoots 168 ttsx's over H 4895. It won't set any velocity records, but it's another good option. I'd agree that 4350's are going to be a good place to start.

I have a load that shoots very well out of a Sako AV in 30-06 using 168 gr tsx and 56.5 gr of RL-17, cci 200 primers.

You can dig up recipes all day long for any cartridge that you want. The problem is that every rifle/barrel is different. Go to published data (powder, or bullet companies) and start from there. The 30-06 is extremely easy to find accurate loads for. If you cannot get a good load with H4350, or Imr 4350, then you have a rare -06. Imr 4451 is also a good powder for the -06, as is Reloder 16.

I am getting ready to start load development for the 168TTSX as well in my 06 for this fall's elk hunt. I am starting with H4350 and Fed 210M primers.

H4350 is touted the gold standard for the 165 class bullets in 3006s. Not to mention it is a temperature resistant powder that is more stable through a broad range of temperatures, which is more important to me for where I hunt than obtaining top velocity.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back