3 Week season for Mule Deer

Are you guys listening to yourselves? "Quality bucks" is all I'm hearing. FWP is charged with managing the whole herd, not just the wall hangers. Older bucks are not necessarily better for the herd. Smarter ones definitely are according to the laws of evolution. If forked horns are doing the majority of the breeding, it sure hasn't hurt the deer numbers anywhere I've been hunting. The spread of CWD due to overpopulation poses a much greater threat to health of the whole herd, including the wall hangers.

I agree that stricter enforcement of access restrictions might go a long ways to changing the quality of hunting in some areas. I gotta say most of the worst offenders I've observed over the years have been landowners. It wouldn't break my heart if quads and SxSs were banned entirely everywhere on federal and state land during hunting season. THAT would make a huge difference overnight. But then the govt agencies would be going head to head with the lazy fat old rich guys. Seems most of the people making decisions in govt are the fat old rich guys.
I try not to listen to myself, but sometimes I am the only one will to do it. ;)

Quality matters to a lot of people. I understand FWP's remit, but they have a budget too. When the quality of the hunt declines and NR's go elsewhere, the budget will show it. Along with MOGA members revenues.

CWD is not simply a condition of "overpopulation" (despite how FWP likes to manage the issue). High density can exacerbate the problem, but is more complicated than just population. It does point out how deer, or any animal, is not uniformly distributed over the landscape. Especially during drought. The high quality feed is on irrigated land and roadsides.

WHHHHAT? you mean cowboys don't ride horses anymore? I'm shocked!!!

The month of October would be far more opportunity than any other state.

I don't claim to know exactly how to enforce it. But I will say that limiting motorized access seams to me that it would significantly help the problem that people are concerned with. I live in SW montana and I know for a fact that would solve a lot of issues here. The animals run all season long. There are next to no sanctuaries that don't have sxs after sxs cruising through day in and day out.

If you want better quality animals give them sanctuary and let them grow. Make people exert effort to get to them.

Yes there are disabled people and little kids. There are always the 1% but you can't govern an entire population based on the exception.

I don't claim to know exactly how to enforce it. But I will say that limiting motorized access seams to me that it would significantly help the problem that people are concerned with. I live in SW montana and I know for a fact that would solve a lot of issues here. The animals run all season long. There are next to no sanctuaries that don't have sxs after sxs cruising through day in and day out.

If you want better quality animals give them sanctuary and let them grow. Make people exert effort to get to them.

Yes there are disabled people and little kids. There are always the 1% but you can't govern an entire population based on the exception.
Just as long as you don't fall in the minority, got it.

Just as long as you don't fall in the minority, got it.
Make exceptions for disabled people. They already do, and I'm all for that. I don't hate minorities. You just like to argue.

I gave my opinion of a posible solution to address an issue. Worry about your own state. We will worry about ours. If you care so much move here and become a part of it.

I'm done here.

Why is it only considered opportunity if it’s in November and not october. If a person wants opportunity to shoot a younger buck, is that not still opportunity if they have to do it in October? People don’t want all of November in season just because it’s more opportunity. It’s because it’s easy opportunity. I don’t think many of us care if anyone shoots a young buck. I know I don’t. But, it is ok if a few live to 4+ years old also.

Why is it only considered opportunity if it’s in November and not october. If a person wants opportunity to shoot a younger buck, is that not still opportunity? People don’t want all of November in season just because it’s more opportunity. It’s because it’s east opportunity. I don’t think many of us care if anyone shoots a young buck. I know I don’t. But, it is ok if a few live to 4+ years old also.
THIS. Fine, have a long season, but just do it outside the rut when you can walk right up on bucks that have their nose up a doe’s ass.

In a dream world, I think something along the lines of
OTC archery: Sept 1-20
OTC rifle: Oct 1-20

Sprinkle a dozen or two dozen late Nov rifle tags into the draw across the OTC units

Any resident that did not draw in a special permit unit could buy only one of the following:
Archery whitetail
Archery mule deer
Rifle whitetail
Rifle mule deer

Everybody gets to hunt and there’s quality to hunt.

Additional private land antlerless tags could be sold OTC as needed.

Are you guys listening to yourselves? "Quality bucks" is all I'm hearing. FWP is charged with managing the whole herd, not just the wall hangers. Older bucks are not necessarily better for the herd. Smarter ones definitely are according to the laws of evolution. If forked horns are doing the majority of the breeding, it sure hasn't hurt the deer numbers anywhere I've been hunting. The spread of CWD due to overpopulation poses a much greater threat to health of the whole herd, including the wall hangers.

I agree that stricter enforcement of access restrictions might go a long ways to changing the quality of hunting in some areas. I gotta say most of the worst offenders I've observed over the years have been landowners. It wouldn't break my heart if quads and SxSs were banned entirely everywhere on federal and state land during hunting season. THAT would make a huge difference overnight. But then the govt agencies would be going head to head with the lazy fat old rich guys. Seems most of the people making decisions in govt are the fat old rich guys.
Do you think some older age class animals should exist in a healthy herd? What age do you consider a mule deer buck mature? Rut hunting with high powered rifles in areas with a lot of access, easy terrain, etc such as public lands in eastern Montana can pretty well eliminate complete age classes of mule deer bucks. Is this a healthy herd? Is this what we want to do as hunters?

You could always give deer a sanctuary by holding the season when deer are higher up in the mountains.

Montana is the land of opportunity. Thats fact. Personally, I love the long season and what if offers. What I dont love is lazy people.

If you're goal is to eliminate every other forky being blasted from the road which in turns keeps the mean age class low, how about reducing access. Blasphemy, I know. Close all secondary roads to anyone but ranchers and require people to exibit a bit of effort to get to their quarry. Create safe zones and sanctuaries that require effort to access. Nothing annoys me more than seeing big fat guys with a whole 2yr old deer strapped onto the back of their sxs, for many reasons.

I'm sure i'll get bashed for this but you asked my oppinion.
You simply don’t get it.

What is a good buck to doe ratio in everyones mind. Iam thinking 3 or 4 bucks to 10 does. Only way to manage for age class is a draw limited.

Is there a summary of the meeting I can view somewhere?

Did they make a decision on 380/392?

Problem is that its otc most places. So the private and the ones willing to pay private are not on board. No respect for the private or public

I try not to listen to myself, but sometimes I am the only one will to do it. ;)

Quality matters to a lot of people. I understand FWP's remit, but they have a budget too. When the quality of the hunt declines and NR's go elsewhere, the budget will show it. Along with MOGA members revenues.

CWD is not simply a condition of "overpopulation" (despite how FWP likes to manage the issue). High density can exacerbate the problem, but is more complicated than just population. It does point out how deer, or any animal, is not uniformly distributed over the landscape. Especially during drought. The high quality feed is on irrigated land and roadsides.

WHHHHAT? you mean cowboys don't ride horses anymore? I'm shocked!!!
Ranchers can move cattle or fix fence without a gun in their SxS.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back