MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

260 Rem- 6.5x55- 7mm-08

I hunt mostly with my 270 model 70 fwt pre 64 but the op didn't ask about the 270 and his desires are with three other cartridges. There are so many great cartridges out there that will get the job done it comes down to personal preference.

Well then, my vote would be for the 6.5x55 because it's the "coolest." And, why go with a short action cartridge in a rifle that is only made in a long action. The 6.5x55 will be a a very good choice for long range shooting and minimal recoil.

I hunt mostly with my 270 model 70 fwt pre 64 but the op didn't ask about the 270 and his desires are with three other cartridges. There are so many great cartridges out there that will get the job done it comes down to personal preference.

+1 thank you

Please school me on this why not just a 270win?

I'm confused is tmvikings not the "OP"? Regardless I have both a 260 and 270. 270 is my lighter weight backpack gun and my 260 is a Savage I re-barreled that I mainly use for deer, antelope, and target shooting, but wouldn't hesitate if an elk stepped out. I shoot 130 Accubonds in the 260 over H4350 and 140 Accubonds in the 270 over H4831. Both are about equally capable, 6.5's are the current "in" thing that I fell for, but glad I did.

I'm confused is tmvikings not the "OP"? Regardless I have both a 260 and 270. 270 is my lighter weight backpack gun and my 260 is a Savage I re-barreled that I mainly use for deer, antelope, and target shooting, but wouldn't hesitate if an elk stepped out. I shoot 130 Accubonds in the 260 over H4350 and 140 Accubonds in the 270 over H4831. Both are about equally capable, 6.5's are the current "in" thing that I fell for, but glad I did.[/.QUOTE]

You are right, he is. I believe the 270 would be an excellent choice as well

If you're a reloader, 257 Ackle Improved is a killer all around round. From groundhogs to deer it does it all... on the right.
IMG_0583.JPG

Last edited:
I guess he is the OP. I was still waking up when I posted that in my defense. Sorry!

In that case, I guess the 270 would be great if you were considering it.

I have nothing agianst the 6.5x55 or the 260, but would vote for the 284 Hunttalk! :)

Please school me on this why not just a 270win?

With comparable bullets, the 270 win will shoot a bit faster and flatter than the other three rounds you mentioned, especially the 6.5s. The negative trade off for that will be an increase in recoil, but you'll have a better selection of factory ammo...

One question you should ask yourself-- will this be a one load, one species gun? You mention that this rifle will be for "deer on down." On down to what? If you'll be doing much coyote or varmint hunting, you might throw the .243 into the mix. Plenty for deer and antelope, and a much better selection of bullets for the smaller stuff. You could take it out west for deer and antelope with one load, and when you get home, rezero with a lighter bullet for plinking some local varmints.

Last edited:
The swede has been doing it for a long damn time. I'm a fan, and it's worked for me for 20+ years. it's a long action anyway, may as well put it to good use. I'm a little bit leaning that way, I've owned three, two of which now belong to my children, they used them for their first deer, and the other belonged to my father at one time. It's always close to the front of the safe.

I was going through the same decision as you. I finally chose the Swede. Right before I pulled the trigger on it, I made a last minute decision to throw a custom stock on my current rifle instead of buying a new gun. I still wish I had the Swede and if, after shooting some this spring I decide the stock isn't for me, I'll sell it and buy one.

Thanks for the post I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Well I can't remember the original question anymore so I'm going to go wax my Rollie Fingers mustache and roll my jeans up. I'll even measure some stuff using the metric system to boot.

I'll just add what's becoming my standard response on these rifle caliber threads:
What ever happened to a 270 and a tin of copenhagen?

Back