Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

260 for elk

bobbydean

I have use a A bolt .338 with a muzzle break for the last few years. Problem is that it sounds like a cannon. I have had significant hearing loss. Cannot afford any more loss.

I have a Remington .260 won in a SCI convention. Set it up for my daughter with a Leopold scope 3x9. She is not hunting. Excellent shot, but likes the shooting and not the hunting.

Would the .260 be enough gun for elk. Thought I would try one more time to get drawn.
A great tag, I would consider the .338. I am leaning to try the .260

Thoughts?

I killed a big bull with a 257 Weatherby. A 115 grn Barnes at 3400fps was more than enough. I am sure a 260 would work as well.

Last edited:
Unless you wear hearing protection, a muzzle break is a BAD idea.

A .260 with a 140-grain Nosler Partition or Ab will kill any elk you can find at about any reasonable range. That would definitely be my pick of the two rifles.

I have no use for a .338, unless big bears are the target.

I talked to a man a month or so ago that has killed several elk with his 25-06
so your 260 will do fine.

This guy here, a good friend of mine hunts elk with a .243 using 100 grain partitions.

This year at our annual elk camp, I asked him how many elk he's killed with his .243 and he said, "40 at least, but probably closer to 50".

Packing a spike bull that he killed with his .243 at about 80 yards:

IMG_4100.JPG

A .260 will kill elk all day long.
I would suggest a bullet made for the job, like a Partition or Barns.
A .338 will kill them with more authority, maybe at a bit farther range.
What ever gun you use, I would suggest un screwing that BOSS, putting a cover on the threads and using the BOSS as a fishing weight.

My wife has taken a number of cows with her BLR .243 She is very selective about her shots and has yet to lose one.

I don't really have anything to add, but since this is the internet, I'll go ahead.

Pick a good bullet and don't fear.

As Buzz pointed, out for every elk "expert" advocating .300 or .338 magnums, there's a local guy who continues to fill his tag every year with his .243 because he never read the magazine article telling him he couldn't. I know a few myself, and quite frankly, these guys kill far more elk than most. If elk were smart enough to fear certain hunters, it would be these guys. The guys dressed head to toe in Sitka or Kuiu packing magnums with turrets and Berger bullets would be far, far down list of who elk worry about.

I don't really have anything to add, but since this is the internet, I'll go ahead.

As Buzz pointed, out for every elk "expert" advocating .300 or .338 magnums, there's a local guy who continues to fill his tag every year with his .243 because he never read the magazine article telling him he couldn't. I know a few myself, and quite frankly, these guys kill far more elk than most. If elk were smart enough to fear certain hunters, it would be these guys. The guys dressed head to toe in Sitka or Kuiu packing magnums with turrets and Berger bullets would be far, far down list of who elk worry about.

This may be the best post I've seen in a long time .... Seriously . I agree with u 110% . I know a guy that shoots elk (usually a bull) almost every year in Montana , and he usually wears cowboy boots and a pair of jeans or brown dickie overalls , uses no scent blocker and uses a model 70 .243 pre 64 . It's beat up but he's deadly with that gun and he's a smart hunter.

As someone who deals with severe tinnitus everyday, I say protect your hearing and lose the break no matter which gun you use. I do enjoy my .260 as well.

But, but, but how can the Davidson's make a living with talk like this! Oh, the shame!

I think brakes are an unnecessary gimmick. Why buy and shoot a rifle you need to brake. Use a gun you can shoot comfortably, and shoot very well. But yea a .260 will work just fine

...gotta love these passive aggressive swipes :D...tis the internet alright.;)

Back