Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

26 days

I have a few questions to just satisfy my own curiosity, and to figure out if there are advantages to working for the federal government versus the state or local government, especially in service type jobs like mine (water treatment and reclamation)

What kind of retirement? For my local government job here, I pay in to Ohio Public Employees retirement and will be eligible to retire with 32 years service, and drawing 87% of my salary based off of the final 3 years of service. I can work an additional 5 years and draw somewhere around 93%. I've always heard fed employees can retire super early. Any truth to this? I'm truly ignorant on how it all works for the feds.

Also, I get 11 holidays, several gift days (Friday after Thanksgiving, birthday, a fair day for local fair, xmas eve), employees start out with 2 weeks vacation progressing to 5 weeks by year 15, we can build comp time in lieu of overtime, health insurance is fully paid, 20 dollars copay or you can take a $5000 per year insurance buyout if your spouse's insurance covers you.......and no shutdowns.

I looked at a job with the DOI taking care of the water and sewer systems for Yellowstone and it paid no where near what I make at my current job.

With all that being said, I'm just curious as to any advantage I may be overlooking. I'm feeling for you all. I hope the politicians can all put on their big boy pants and get this resolved.

I can answer most of your questions.

For starters, I think that in most States, your wages are probably better. Insurance is tough to gauge since you really didn't give many specifics there. I pay about $150ish a month for what I consider adequate insurance, but not stellar. Pay a small out of pocket expense for dental supplement, not bad at all and coverage is good.

Retirement is based on your MRA and depends on when you started and when you were born. My MRA is 58 years and 6 months. Pension retirement is calculated on years of service and based off your high 3 years salary. Under FERS, you can also draw social security between your MRA and age 62, which was a concession for a smaller pension than CSRS employees.

Health insurance you carry for life and pay the same amount in retirement that you did when you worked, this is probably the biggest benefit to Federal employment. It will also allow my wife to retire at the same time I do, if she chooses, since we wont be paying a lot for health insurance before Medicare kicks in. Life insurance is dirt cheap as well, and after 65 you have to choose one of three (currently) options that reduce your survivor benefit when you die.

We also have the TSP with an employer match of up to 5% of your gross salary per year. One percent is automatically paid by the employer, another 3% dollar to dollar match and another 2% 50 cents on the dollar match for a total of 5%. This is a huge part of your retirement and I've been contributing 19% of my base salary to this for the last 20+ years. There are several investment funds that follow major stock indexes and management fees on your fund are minimal. Providing things don't go completely to chit in the market, my projected TSP balance at my MRA should be significant enough that my monthly pay-out may very well exceed my pension. Its almost a given, between SS, pension, TSP, and another IRA that I'll make more in retirement than I do working.

We get all national holidays off. Vacation is dependent on length of service, but maxes out at 208 hours a year (after 15 years). I haven't taken overtime pay in at least 15 years and any additional hours I work are comp time or credit hours. We also get 4 hours sick leave each pay period, which any balance you have at retirement is "paid out" as additional hours of service for your retirement. Not uncommon for employees that are lucky with their health, to have a year plus of accrued sick leave upon retirement. Knock on wood, I hope to be in that position....very close already as I rarely use sick leave.

I don't know, there's some good things, and some bad things about working for the feds. No question that you make more money doing an equal job in the private sector, and likely in most State/Local Governments as well.

Ditto Buzz's response.

Considering furlough possibilities, if you save appropriately, those furloughed are on a free vacation as Congress has always approved backpay and not a stitch of annual, sick or comp time is used. (Not guaranteed though doubtful they ever would deny backpay). They've already announced for this shutdown furloughed employees will be paid for their "vacation".
It is a tough gig to be on a low GS level pay w/ a city expense based budget though for that field, your compensation would keep good (GS 9 or possibly 11?) https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...es-wages/salary-tables/18Tables/html/RUS.aspx

There is a cap on TSP contributions, I believe it bumped up to $19k this year. The best one can budget to capitalize on this (and other retirement plans), it may be one of the best settings for retirement outside executive golden parachute settings. Times get awkward, the G fund for TSP is available.

Medical I believe is fantastic for the cost. In fact, an example, my 2012 wreck (quadriplegic) for the surgery (2 neurosurgeries), 3.5 months inpatient pt, ot, etc, that part cost $590,000. Of which I paid $10k (max out of pocket). By the end of that year, my medical bills for outpatient, follow-up visits, etc exceeded $800k I paid an additional $12k for excess pt/ot therapy.
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/

Fed government are humans, regardless the belief. The support was amazing (1000 hrs donated). Between that and my spent leave categories and week w/ week w/o pay, I maintained my employment status and luckily recovered to the point to return to work. My point in sharing a bit more is to present we all beat hearts. People run the various public sector positions and we all unify when needed.

Retirement is a mandatory 20 years for my field. Retirement years are based at 1.7 for every 1 - so it makes up for the mandatory 20.

I'm not furloughed. I still work. The difference, govt required to back pay our position vs furloughed employees - Congress deciding whether or not to pay.

In all... Fed employment is a huge win. Pay, retirement, medical... All get their check marks.

Edit: I should add, annual leave is structured: 4 hours per pay period until 3 years then bumps to 6 hours, then 8 hours after 15 years per pay period . (Bi-weekly pay).
Sick remains 4 hours per pay period.

Last edited:
Thanks Buzz and Sytes. It sounds like the two are pretty comparable, actually. To clarify on insurance, I pay no premiums. All insurance costs are picked up by the city. My only costs are the copays for office visits, urgent care, ER (20, 50, 75, respectively). I have a $2500 a year deductible , but the city has a reimbursement account set up to pay us back $2000 of that so my max out of pocket is $500.

I'm assuming the TSP is like a deferment plan? We can do that also through PERS except it is called Deferred Compensation. It is invested in a variety of funds as well and is added to what we draw from the traditional retirement plan. I believe our max is 10% of our salary though. We get sick time at 4.61 hours per pay and can accumulate 2200 hours max. Overall I'd say the two are very similar, with you all having the edge on possibly the insurance after retirement and some other areas. I appreciate what you all do. Hope this all ends soon.

Edit: I should add though that I work for a very good employer and we have remarkable citizens who make sure we are taken care of. There are other cities that don't treat their employees nearly as well, especially in regards to how insurance is handled. Some things, like sick time, are mandated throughout the state for public employees. Every state or local employee gets 4.61 sick per pay in Ohio and has the same options for retirement if they choose to contribute in that fashion.

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed is that many government employees must really look forward to retiring as most can tell you how many years or in many cases how many months until they are done. Almost seems like some are "doing time" for lack of a batter description as they seem to talk about how long until they get out as much as prisoners. Sometimes those are also the ones who complain about working for the government.

The benefits sound pretty good, especially the healthcare. But then again not everyone is going to enjoy that kind of work environment.

A good comedy making fun of government work the same way office space made fun of corporate america work would be quite entertaining to watch as I am sure there are plenty of "TPS report" type stuff that goes on.

One thing I have noticed is that many government employees must really look forward to retiring as most can tell you how many years or in many cases how many months until they are done.

That would be correct. Love my job, but I would prefer spending more time in the woods enjoying myself. Doubt that is a unique opinion.

BTW, May 27, 2027

One thing I have noticed is that many government employees must really look forward to retiring as most can tell you how many years or in many cases how many months until they are done. Almost seems like some are "doing time" for lack of a batter description as they seem to talk about how long until they get out as much as prisoners. Sometimes those are also the ones who complain about working for the government.

The benefits sound pretty good, especially the healthcare. But then again not everyone is going to enjoy that kind of work environment.

Not everyone is counting the days...but, there are days when you wonder if another week is even possible. I know a lot of people that have worked 1-20+ years longer than their retirement age or eligibility. I'm of the opinion that retiring should be mandatory after 30 years, all you're doing is plugging up a job for a younger employee. The exception to that statement is when health insurance makes retiring cost prohibitive. I know lots of people in the private/state sector that almost have to work just to afford health care. That's a damn shame IMO and one of the biggest reasons I have no use for Congress. People shouldn't have to work until the day they die because of health care/insurance costs.

I don't know what I'm going to do in another 8 years...we'll see when I get there. I have a lot of other interests and opportunities I would like to explore career wise, in particular on a part time basis in retirement.

I really like the current position I have, lots of flexibility, lots of time in the field, and plenty of time off to hunt 5-8 weeks a year.

The Senate and House have to vote yet but that's what it looks like...but for only 3 weeks.

Unlike Miller & Co I have quite awhile before I'm eligible. I believe I'm looking at Oct 2040 give or take (that's a minimum of 38 years of service if I last that long)

Last edited:
I hope all you guys get your checks before too long and the rest of us just have to wait and see what happens in three weeks.

That's it, right there. Until we change campaign finance laws, this crap won't stop.

To be honest we don't really need politicians at this point. Their purpose was to represent the people when we had horses, trains, and telegraph communication, with technology America could vote on the wall tonight and have this back open at dawn. The people can speak for themselves at this point.

That would be correct. Love my job, but I would prefer spending more time in the woods enjoying myself. Doubt that is a unique opinion.

BTW, May 27, 2027

Down to the day, nice.

I can certainly see why you would want off but not everyone is quite that ambitious, some seem to just want it to be over like it's a sentence. I'm sure you will have even more great pictures to post and more adventures with dogs to share once 2027 comes around.

Not everyone is counting the days...but, there are days when you wonder if another week is even possible. I know a lot of people that have worked 1-20+ years longer than their retirement age or eligibility. I'm of the opinion that retiring should be mandatory after 30 years, all you're doing is plugging up a job for a younger employee. The exception to that statement is when health insurance makes retiring cost prohibitive. I know lots of people in the private/state sector that almost have to work just to afford health care. That's a damn shame IMO and one of the biggest reasons I have no use for Congress. People shouldn't have to work until the day they die because of health care/insurance costs.

I don't know what I'm going to do in another 8 years...we'll see when I get there. I have a lot of other interests and opportunities I would like to explore career wise, in particular on a part time basis in retirement.

I really like the current position I have, lots of flexibility, lots of time in the field, and plenty of time off to hunt 5-8 weeks a year.
8 weeks a year, that sounds like European vacations where people leave for a month a couple times a year!

I think for what you like to do the job sounds pretty ideal as it allows you to plan quite a few hunts and really be able to enjoy it while you are out in the field. Half these NR's who come hunt have jobs such as sales where they can't really even get away from cell service as they know it will ultimately cost them if they do. The health insurance is the best perk from what you described, especially after retiring. That's thousands of dollars a month for some folks, we still pay close to $1,000 a month with the highest deductible plan through my wife's job with the state. And it sounds like you are smartly taking advantage of matching and what not. I guess it doesn't matter if it's a hunt or retiring you plan well.

My brother in Bozeman who works for the USFS is much the same way but he screwed up and has an environmental science degree which has limited him somewhat by not having an advanced forestry degree. But he likes the job, low stress, good benefits, and allows him to work 4 days a week which allows him to spend time with his kids. Doesn't make a killing, especially for that town, but he takes advantage of matching and does a good job saving. He has been loving the shut down as he hangs out with his young kids and has enough savings to get by without a huge problem. Once they said that back pay would happen it's more or less a paid vacation in his eyes.

One interesting thing is the USDA office here in Laramie has pretty much been open the whole time so it appears most of them are working through this without pay. That would be much more frustrating than simply being off like my brother.

One thing that this has brought to light is how many people in this country live paycheck to paycheck in all sectors, not just federal workers. That and I have looked to see how many people lose their jobs completely every day and it's really amazing. Just today Verizon announced they were letting go of 7% of their staff so there goes thousands of paychecks. Lots of good hard working people have lost jobs since the shutdown simply from situations like corporate cutbacks. That's even worse than know knowing when you are going to get a check or go back to your job.

Down to the day, nice.

My Service Computation Date (Start Date) is on all my Leave and Earning Statements. I am just really good at math and added 30 years.;) Now to see if I can afford it when I get there. No kids Miller, no kids. :D

One interesting thing is the USDA office here in Laramie has pretty much been open the whole time so it appears most of them are working through this without pay. That would be much more frustrating than simply being off like my brother.
May be funded via the Farm bill. Those Federal employees continue to receive their paychecks.

To all the other Federal employees on here thank you very much for your service and support we made it through part one of the 2019 furloughs. However, spend your back checks wisely because this thing is not over by a long shot.

I have just under 10 years till retirement and I very much looking forward to it. 2028 is the magic year for a lot of employees in my line of work, that will give me 30 years government service along with my military.

Hang in there Ladies and Gents the light is at the end of the tunnel!!!!

The USDA NRCS had previous year mandatory funding as part of the Farm Bill. We were working as normal with pay however about 1/3 of the agency (the technical staff mostly) was getting ready to shutdown at the end of this week which didn't happen because of the agreement last week. They brought in Farm Service Agency staff to assist with farm loan payments and disbursements...those staff were unpaid.

I wish I could predict the future but I have a feeling that we're going to be in the same spot in 3 weeks.

My Service Computation Date (Start Date) is on all my Leave and Earning Statements. I am just really good at math and added 30 years.;) Now to see if I can afford it when I get there. No more kids Miller, no more kids. :D
I fixed it for you. BTW, your two are doing fine. ;) :D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back