Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.25.06 for Elk

Nosler 100 gr. E-tip
Nosler 110 gr. Accubond
Nosler 120 gr. Partition

Go forth and kill elk with either of these. I'd have 100% confidence in any of these.

The Hammer guys aren't scared of putting so callled "little" bullets through stuff and killing it. I'm getting there. Probly use the 166 in the ol RUM this Fall. mtmuley
Those hammer guys are fools?
A mono in theory punches 30% better @ weight, I.E a 130gr ttsx = a 165gr cup core lead . Some folks IMO take that to the extreme and don’t get the physics of energy bleed, thinking fast & lite= better
I split the middle per say and go 150gr mono instead of 130gr mono or 165gr accubond lead
but to each their own , lots of different opinions :unsure:

I shot my biggest bull with a 257 Weatherby. Complete pass through on a 200-250 yard shot. Took out the top of the off side humors and left about a 2 inch hole. Elk never took another step. Stayed on his feet for about 15 seconds then dropped.

The pause caused me to try for a bigger elk gun. I bought them sold a 300 WSM. It shot great but never loved the gun. I quit chasing bigger better elk calibers.

My son has a 7mm-08 and I have my 257 Weatherby. I am looking at getting a 280 AI as a reloaded but know my 257 will do very well and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Years ago a local rancher lady heard a commotion in her sheep corral one night. She grabbed a flashlight and her .22-250 and went out to see what was going on. She found a sow and 2 yearling grizzlies killing sheep in her corral. Three shots later they were three dead grizzlies. FWP ruled the shootings justifiable. My point is that you don't need a cannon to kill a grizzly.

In the last 45+ years that I've lived, worked, hunted, fished, and hiked in grizzly country I've only carried a gun a small percentage of the time, and I've never been worried that I wasn't carrying. Even though I have a canceled carry permit, I rarely carry in town, but personally I worry more in town than in the woods..

I also have a friend that I used to work with that was attacked by a sow grizzly twice one day while he was walking on a Forest Service trail near here. He survived, walked out, videoed himself (the video went viral on Facebook), and still works in the woods. He did have a pistol when he was attacked, but couldn't get it out fast enough. He is no stranger to pistols and gets his elk most years with one.

Far, far from it. mtmuley
Drinking that made in Montana cool aide / hammerhead ? E=MC2 😉
or velocity doesn’t equal , mass+velocity combined
think a porche doing 100mph hitting a brick wall vs a F150 vs a gravel truck .
the OP was 25-06 on elk , my vote is 120gr monolith @ 3100fps vs 80gr hammer @ 3400 JM 2ct

I shot my biggest bull with a 257 Weatherby. Complete pass through on a 200-250 yard shot. Took out the top of the off side humors and left about a 2 inch hole. Elk never took another step. Stayed on his feet for about 15 seconds then dropped.

@noharleyyet. Looks like that mashburn found its replacement. I’ll take it off your hands for you. Want me to send a check or PayPal?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back