Yeti GOBOX Collection

.25.06 for Elk

If this fella intends to hunt elk with his daughter in grizzly country, he could back her up with his bigger gun. That would definitely be sensible.

Killing an elk with 25-06 is doable but the margin for error is significantly tighter than for a larger 30 calibre cartridge. How experienced is she? If inexperienced, I would say go with something that hits a little harder with wider margin for error. Of course, dad will be there to clean up (and protect if necessary) but the objective is usually for our kids to take their own animals.

Really? So a young hunter, inexperienced and all needs to use a more powerful weapon than say an old man like me who has hunted for 50+ years?

How about just being a bit more discerning about taking a shot. That will easily cover the decreased margin of error. When my son killed his first elk, he weighed, at most 100 pounds. He used my .270 which I had reloaded some reduced charge loads for his use. The muzzle velocity for the 130 grain bullet was somewhere around 2700ft/sec. That killed his elk cleanly at 200 yards or so. Earlier I had made him pass on a chance at a very nice mule deer. The deer was too far away for his ability.

No one changes anyones mind on these things, but I've hunted elk in grizzly country every fall for forty years or so. All I have ever carried was that .270. It has not been the death of me yet, and the odds are quite good it won't be.

I’m tempted to take my .22-250 bear hunting next week. I just might do it. If I don’t make it back you’ll know a grizzly got me.

Last XXL Grizzly bear I was within 20 yards of, I had a .223 centered on his forehead (62 grain TSX). Had he come at me, instead of walked off, fairly sure he would have died before taking any more steps.

There are other reasons. Potential lurking grizzlies is just one. See if you can find an outfitter who thinks 25-06 is enough for elk. Maybe you can, but I'd be surprised. I am looking into hunting similar size stag in South America and they are advising 270 or 30-06 minimum. Almost all the outfitters in South Africa I know or checked out have 30-06 loaner rifles for plains game. Most of those animals are smaller than elk. Must be a reason. Obviously it's because an inexperienced person has a higher probability to place the shot poorly, and there is never any guarantee the client will have any experience (often they have NO experience!). A poorly placed shot with a 30-06 has a greater potential for eventual recovery than a light bullet. Clients who don't recover their animal still have to pay the trophy fee. Clients who pay the trophy fee but go home empty handed are not likely to tip or to return. Bad for business.
What a joke, talk to an outfitter? You mean over priced babysitter's wrangling dudes who aren't smart enough to find an elk on their own?

Elk aren't that tough to kill and most outfitters have trouble because their clients are under experienced and over gunned.

A crap shot with a 338 will give you the same problems as a crap shot with a .243.

I would hunt elk the rest of my life with a .243 or a 25-06 and wouldn't even think twice about it.

Talk to outfitters....good grief.

Yep. Or similar weights.

Wanting to set it up for antelope and deer and eventually elk
Ia getting 3500 with a 243 Win and 70 grain Hammer and H4350. And I'm not pushing the pressure envelope.

I would think 3400 would be a minimum with little tinkering.

Heck, Steve will probably say I'm overgunned. He knows I have a .204 Ruger ;)

There are a lot of places that hold elk and no grizz, just sayin'. 😁
That sounds like a beautiful rifle. I am sure the young lady would be honored to hunt with it.
My experience with women hunters is that they seem to be more concious about shot placement and not wounding or seeing an animal suffer. Not that us guys aren't, but damn those girls take a long time to aim and shoot, lol! 😁. My wife is absolutely deadly when hunting, but she wouldn't be my first partner of choice in a gunfight, lol.
You seem like a mighty generous man with great intentions. Good on you for caring enough to help youngsters get involved in hunting. That rifle will mean more to you knowing she is putting it to good use than if it were sitting in the safe. No doubt she will treasure it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back