PEAX Equipment

.243 manufacturers, any recommendations?

Of those you have pictured I'd get the Tikka Superlite or the Stainless. The camo stock is kinda lame...At least mine was.

The Varmints have heavier weight barrels - useful for high volume target and prairie dog shooting. Unnecessary for deer hunting.
The Compact has a smaller stock and shorter barrel for women/youth. TIkka stocks are already on the small side, so unless you are quite small these are off the list.
The Superlite has shaved weight for the “mountain hunter”. Given super light guns are harder to shoot offhand and add recoil I would skip.
The t3X camo stainless is the same as the t3x lite SS but with camo on stock. If you like the camo get this one - if you don’t like the camo, but like the gun, track down a lite SS and have it shipped to your local dealer.

The Varmints have heavier weight barrels - useful for high volume target and prairie dog shooting. Unnecessary for deer hunting.
The Compact has a smaller stock and shorter barrel for women/youth. TIkka stocks are already on the small side, so unless you are quite small these are off the list.
The Superlite has shaved weight for the “mountain hunter”. Given super light guns are harder to shoot offhand and add recoil I would skip.
The t3X camo stainless is the same as the t3x lite SS but with camo on stock. If you like the camo get this one - if you don’t like the camo, but like the gun, track down a lite SS and have it shipped to your local dealer.

Hey man thanks. TX3 Lite SS is on the short list.

Hey man thanks. TX3 Lite SS is on the short list.

Keep it there. If you're not 100% sold on that gun, I'd add the Remington Model 7 to the list. Do yourself a favor and look at the Kimber Hunter since you said you want to buy once and buy right.

But for simple reliability, the Tikka, and Winchester are no brainers to me. I just don't like the feel of the Tikka or the long action for every round. But a non-rifle loony wouldn't care in the least I imagine.

Keep it there. If you're not 100% sold on that gun, I'd add the Remington Model 7 to the list. Do yourself a favor and look at the Kimber Hunter since you said you want to buy once and buy right.

But for simple reliability, the Tikka, and Winchester are no brainers to me. I just don't like the feel of the Tikka or the long action for every round. But a non-rifle loony wouldn't care in the least I imagine.

Shortlist so far:

1) Ruger American Compact = $400
2) Remington Model Seven Synthetic = $600
3) Tikka T3X Lite SS = $800

Is the Tikka genuinely 2X the quality/satisfaction vs the Ruger!??

Shortlist so far:

Well... There are some that really like the Ruger American, I had one for a while and I just was not impressed. Disliked the stock and hated the trigger, and I just kinda got a lemon because it was terribly inaccurate.

My go-to is a Tikka T3X Lite, just the standard model without the stainless and fluted barrel. To answer your question about price/satisfaction/quality ratio, I'd just say I'm very satisfied with it. I have used it a lot and intend to continue. Its fairly simple and spartan, but there's a lot to like about it.

Daaaaaaamnnnn. Walmart had the Ruger American for $89 in December. Whyyyyyy do I miss out on this stuff............

Shortlist so far:

The comparison would be with the Blued Tikka at $650, and yes the tikka is worth $250 more in a NY minute. But I like stainless so the extra $150 on top is worth it to me.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Kimber Hunter

Absolutely no intent to disagree as I have never shot one and don’t have a buddy who has shot one, but I have steered clear of Kimberly over the last few year as when I looked into them a number of years ago I was left with an impression that some of them are shooters and some of them aren’t, so it is a bit of a lottery ticket purchase. Is that old news or fake news?

Shortlist so far:

IMO, yes. If I were you I would flip my list.

Guys, something I just realized. Please chime in here as recoil factor is pretty important to me!

I just realized the larger calibers also come with smaller grain bullets, with much lower recoil numbers on this table......

For example, the .243 100 grain WIN comes in at 8.8 recoil energy, while at the same time, the 30-06 125 grain Springfield comes in at 10.2 recoil energy (so only 15% more).

HOWEVER, if I go with the 30-06 caliber, then that opens the door to potential future western hunts for elk if I ever get the opportunity to do that!

I didnt think this about caliber vs recoil energy in this way.......

Surely this would be the smarter choice!????? (i.e. go with lower grain bullets in higher caliber rifles to minimize recoil). What do you guys think?

Recoil ain’t a factor with a 243.

...sorry mummel my speed reading class failed me. Yes you could gain energy with lighter projectiles from larger bores while mitigating recoil. Engineered pads and brakes would aid with average for caliber weights.

Last edited:
Guys, something I just realized. Please chime in here as recoil factor is pretty important to me!

I just realized the larger calibers also come with smaller grain bullets, with much lower recoil numbers on this table......

For example, the .243 100 grain WIN comes in at 8.8 recoil energy, while at the same time, the 30-06 125 grain Springfield comes in at 10.2 recoil energy (so only 15% more).

HOWEVER, if I go with the 30-06 caliber, then that opens the door to potential future western hunts for elk if I ever get the opportunity to do that!

Surely this would be the smarter choice!????? (i.e. go with lower grain bullets in higher caliber rifles to minimize recoil). What do you guys think?

If western hunts are on the horizon, you certainly could go larger and use light for cartridge bullets. The 7mm-08 is pretty versatile for factory fodder.

I wouldn’t rule out Howa, Tikka, or a Rem 700. I prefer a Remington 700 in the long term, but out of the box the Howa and Tikka have it beat.

I’d consider a 7-08 Win as well. Bigger slower bullets are deflected less when they hit brush. A .243 Win is still a good choice though. My wife’s is one of my favorite rifles.

So yeah, I cant find the .30-06 Springfield 125 at 2660 bullets for sale. Have they been discontinued?

Also, I did find the .308 Win. 125 at 2675. These are for sale, but they are like $1.50 each.....

Again, would going with a larger caliber rifle but a smaller grain bullet be the smart choice to minimize recoil for deer hunts, but at the same time allow me to use the same rifle for elk hunts if that ever happens!? Seems like a no brainer if the recoil numbers are accurate and I can find the right ammo no???

RECOIL SUMMARY:
1) .243 Win. (100 at 2960) = 8.8 recoil energy
2) .308 Win. (125 at 2675) = 9 recoil energy (in production but $1.50 each....)
3) .270 Win. (120 at 2675) = 10 recoil energy (smaller caliber but more recoil energy vs .308, ruling this one out).
4) .30-06 Spfd. (125 at 2660) = 10.2 recoil energy (but discontinued???)

Last edited:
Again, would going with a larger caliber rifle but a smaller grain bullet be the smart choice to minimize recoil for deer hunts, but at the same time allow me to use the same rifle for elk hunts if that ever happens!?

Yes.

I would encourage you to see if you can find someone with some of these chamberings and shoot them to see what the recoil is like. Numbers being equal, stock design and quality of recoil pad will greatly affect the perceived recoil from the rifle.

For recoil sensitive folks the 3006 is not a good choice even with light loads in my opinion.

Actual recoil is a simple physics relationship between the mass of the bullet, the velocity of the bullet, the mass of the powder, the velocity of the powder and the weight of the gun. So in fact a 80 grain 3300fps bullet out of short action cartridge (like .243) can generate 15% less recoil than a 80 grain 3300fps bullet out of a long action cartridge (like a 2506), as the 25-06 burns 25% more powder and that mass (the resulting gases still retain all of their mass) is moving much faster than the bullet. Also for every pound of gun you get a 8-11% recoil improvement. So you can really go down a rabbit hole on this. When handloading for a recoil reluctant shooter or for magnum cartridges, I actually take that into account in my powder selection, and at times have added lead shot to a rifle stock.

In addition, human perceived recoil also involves fit of the stock, level of focus, past experience, natural reaction to muzzle blast, etc. Bad early experiences can really amp up people’s perception of recoil. Losing a flinch is way harder than not getting one in the first place

Since you have come back to recoil concerns several times in this thread my strong recommendation is to by a used Ruger American for $150 in .223 Rem and shoot a lot at the range. Then when completely comfortable buy a Howa 1500 (as it is heavier than the tikka) in .243 for $450 and hunt deer. You can move the scope over and even sell the .223 if you don’t want it any more (either way you are under $600). If you get a chance to come out west, if you are hunting antelope or deer your .243 will still serve you very well. If you later go for elk or moose, then you should be perfectly comfortable buying a $800 .270/7mm08/.308 as it will be a small portion of the overall cost.

For recoil sensitive folks the 3006 is not a good choice even with light loads in my opinion.

Actual recoil is a simple physics relationship between the mass of the bullet, the velocity of the bullet, the mass of the powder, the velocity of the powder and the weight of the gun. So in fact a 80 grain 3300fps bullet out of short action cartridge (like .243) can generate 15% less recoil than a 80 grain 3300fps bullet out of a long action cartridge (like a 2506), as the 25-06 burns 25% more powder and that mass (the resulting gases still retain all of their mass) is moving much faster than the bullet. Also for every pound of gun you get a 8-11% recoil improvement. So you can really go down a rabbit hole on this. When handloading for a recoil reluctant shooter or for magnum cartridges, I actually take that into account in my powder selection, and at times have added lead shot to a rifle stock.

In addition, human perceived recoil also involves fit of the stock, level of focus, past experience, natural reaction to muzzle blast, etc. Bad early experiences can really amp up people’s perception of recoil. Losing a flinch is way harder than not getting one in the first place

Since you have come back to recoil concerns several times in this thread my strong recommendation is to by a used Ruger American for $150 in .223 Rem and shoot a lot at the range. Then when completely comfortable buy a Howa 1500 (as it is heavier than the tikka) in .243 for $450 and hunt deer. You can move the scope over and even sell the .223 if you don’t want it any more (either way you are under $600). If you get a chance to come out west, if you are hunting antelope or deer your .243 will still serve you very well. If you later go for elk or moose, then you should be perfectly comfortable buying a $800 .270/7mm08/.308 as it will be a small portion of the overall cost.

Thanks for the info. Whats the minimum grain you'd use with a .243 for a big buck?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back