Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

.223 rifle advice

Curious what round people use for deer out of a .223? I was thinking I should take my .233 along for my antelope hunt in wy, just need a round 60gr +.
Fun gun to shoot an cheep factory ammo
It was in UT, but I killed a doe pronghorn at 175yds with a 223 shooting Rem 55gr PSP. With the 60+ grain requirement in WY, I wouldn't be afraid to just use any regular, cup and core bullet. The 60gr Hornady, 65gr GameKing, 64gr Nosler bonded, and 60gr Partition would be getting a look. If you have an 8" twist or faster it would open up a few other options. Pronghorn don't take much "killing" IMO/E if you put the bullet in the right place. If you don't, they can really cover some country. I've had them go farther with a 30-06 and 165gr Partition than the one I shot with the 223 did. Difference was shot placement.

Who're you guys even arguing with? I don't see anyone on here telling anyone to not hunt with 223. Did 24hrcf get full so you decided to drag this mindless bickering over here?

Last edited:
Hands thown upward in resignation......

So, Rob, how is the deliberation going? I like Greenhorn's reccomendation. Seems like a Montana would be a handy little rifle.

This has been helpful. I'm leaning towards a better gun so we'll get tight groups when he shoots well, but had a little sticker shock with the Kimber.

This has been helpful. I'm leaning towards a better gun so we'll get tight groups when he shoots well, but had a little sticker shock with the Kimber.

Just my opinion, but unless you're willing to spend $1500+ on a rifle, I just really don't think price=accuracy anymore. You will get a much nicer gun overall though, and something you'll want to keep around and pass on.

I will be very happy if my new $1300 Kimber shoots as well as my $300 Ruger American.

Last edited:

No arguement there. I considered it when I bought my Remington, and decided with the deals I found, the extra weight wasn't quite worth it, plus I was trying to replicate the weight and feel of some of my other rifles for practice.

If your boy is going to hunt with it, I would really consider the Howa (or weatherby vangards, they can be found for very little). Tough to beat how solid those rifles are for the money, and the faster twist will make it shoot those heavier bullets better. I knew when I bought mine that it would be limited to about 60grns or less.

You might also consider buying an adult sized rifle and just find a cheap wood stock on ebay that you can cut down to whatever your boy might need. Might give you a better selection than trying to find a youth rifle.

Just my opinion, but unless you're willing to spend $1500+ on a rifle, I just really don't think price=accuracy anymore.

I will be very happy if my new $1300 Kimber shoots as well as my $300 Ruger American.

Damn you guys ;). Well I have it narrowed down to buying a rifle.

Although I prefer the 36 mm objective, I think the Leupold fixed 6x scopes are absolutely outstanding for most hunting rifles.

I'm moving at glacial speed with my decision, but I foresee a Ruger American Compact in a 7mm-08, with a Leupold 6x36mm scope on it in my girls' near future.

I love a good tack driving .223. . .and I agree shot placement is the absolute most important factor. . . you can kill a pile of things with the correct placement. Here is my Savage Tactical in .223 ( on a hill watching for coyote insurgents on our last antelope hunt). This gun is lights out, and one of my favorites to shoot. Good luck!!:D

Attachments

• 20131003_112511.jpeg
    20131003_112511.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 644
The black dog on my right shoulder has been whispering Ruger #1 25-06 Fixed 6 Leupold for some time now...the white dog is saying just stop. Rifles are gateway drugs.

I went to the local sportsman's whorehouse this morning, but I couldn't find any headstamp powder in stock..

They did have a Tikka SL 1-8 .223, though.

Why fixed 6 instead of 3-9x (or 4-12x) for the scope? I appreciate the magnification but maybe I'm missing something.

Why fixed 6 instead of 3-9x (or 4-12x) for the scope? I appreciate the magnification but maybe I'm missing something.

Simplicity for one thing. New shooters don't need to be worrying about what power their scope is on. Also, it eliminates the ability to be walking around with it on 9x, and see an elk at 30 yards in the timber (or a patch of brown is ALL you see).

You get more bang for your buck I think. Adjustable power costs money. I'd rather put that money towards better lens coatings, better housings, better adjustments, etc.

Also, it makes for easier range estimation for new shooters because they can learn how to use their reticle to range with, and it will never change.

The only reason I'd prefer the 36mm objective over the 42 is that only the most elastic and perfect human eye can utilize an exit pupil of 7mm (obj / power), and I like how the 36 mm lens sits nice and low to the rifle.

My wife's '06 has had a fixed 4x for 20 years, and it's killed a pile of critters. Great scope, but I'd go 6x now (got the 4x on sale).

JLS has some great points, and IMO, the 6x would be appreciated as you get older. I find myself keeping my 3-9x40's closer to 9 than 3 these days. I can still see everything well past about 3 feet, but my vision up close has really went to chit the last 3-4 years. Reading glasses scattered all over the damn place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back