Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.223 rifle advice

As a rule I keep it on 4x since I'll have time to change if I need the 9x, but a few years ago I found myself 30 yards from an elk in the timber on 9x. Nothing but hair. Good points about better scope for the money.

The black dog on my right shoulder has been whispering Ruger #1 25-06 Fixed 6 Leupold for some time now...the white dog is saying just stop. Rifles are gateway drugs.

Everything about this other than the caliber is right.

Get it in 300 Super.

Simplicity for one thing. New shooters don't need to be worrying about what power their scope is on. Also, it eliminates the ability to be walking around with it on 9x, and see an elk at 30 yards in the timber (or a patch of brown is ALL you see).

You get more bang for your buck I think. Adjustable power costs money. I'd rather put that money towards better lens coatings, better housings, better adjustments, etc.

Also, it makes for easier range estimation for new shooters because they can learn how to use their reticle to range with, and it will never change.

The only reason I'd prefer the 36mm objective over the 42 is that only the most elastic and perfect human eye can utilize an exit pupil of 7mm (obj / power), and I like how the 36 mm lens sits nice and low to the rifle.

My wife's '06 has had a fixed 4x for 20 years, and it's killed a pile of critters. Great scope, but I'd go 6x now (got the 4x on sale).
The bolded portion, in my limited experience with my two boys, is very important. They will fiddle fart with the power ring if it has one. The number of lost socks and left on lights in my house have convinced me that kids can have short memories on some things. Simple is better, especially for kids.

A little update/gun review. A hunt talker let me borrow his .243 Ruger American and it shoots respectively at 100 yards. It was a little gusty, perhaps that is why I have two groups. I'd shoot three shots then let the barrel cool. Shoot some other guns, then repeat.

Another Hunt Talker loaned me his Kimber .223 (since he had to dig cat chit out of his petunias) and it shot slightly better groups. It only had a fixed 6x on it so I couldn't focus in on the target as well as I could with the 3-9x on the Ruger. I'm pretty sure both guns could shoot better than I could. I never felt very solid today with the new guns.

So... the Ruger certainly shoots well enough!

The trigger on the Ruger is "squishy," it seems like you have to pull it back 1/2" before it would fire! I don't like that plastic magazine; I tend to break stuff like that especially at 20 below. The Kimber trigger was very crisp - huge difference there. The Kimber feels so much more solid - but you definitely pay the price for it ;).

Bob Wards (Missoula) is having a public shooting Saturday and it turns out I will be over there so I'll do some more shooting. I'm eying a Weatherby Vanguard II which felt pretty solid when I fondled it in the store.

Attachments

• s IMG_3063.jpg
    s IMG_3063.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 181
Hi - I'm looking for a high power rifle for my 12 year old son to practice with and possibly hunt deer with. I'm liking the .223 because of the cheap ammo and light kick, but is it enough for deer assuming imperfect shot placement?

I looked at a Ruger American Rifle bolt action and it seemed adequate - shorter stock and barrel so it will fit him better than my .270. It's definitely cheap. How's the action and trigger under real world circumstances? Accuracy? I'd put a 3x9 scope on it and be practicing to 200-300 yards I suppose.

What other brands I should consider? I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it since he will likely grow into a full size and/or bigger caliber rifle in a couple years.

My girlfriend is a tiny person (5' tall maybe 100 lbs) and I got her a 7mm-08 and this last fall she killed an elk at 400 yards and her mule deer with it. Very little kick and the youth weatherby (or any brand) fits her perfect. It is a sweet shooting round with plenty of power.

My girlfriend is a tiny person (5' tall maybe 100 lbs) and I got her a 7mm-08 and this last fall she killed an elk at 400 yards and her mule deer with it. Very little kick and the youth weatherby (or any brand) fits her perfect. It is a sweet shooting round with plenty of power.

******************ALERT**************************
There is a Weatherby youth 7mm-08 at Bozeman
Murdochs for $450 which is about $100 off. I wish
I could justify buying it.
*************** END ALERT *********************
:D

The .223 was controversial for deer, with slightly more people saying it was ok. However, I decided to get a .243 to be safe and because I found one on sale. I chose the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 youth. The cost was only $100 more than the Ruger American. The Weatherby feels much better to me. Nicer stock, nicer trigger, 20" barrel vs. 18", etc. I can't saw too many bad things about the way the Ruger shot, however. ( I also found out that the Howa and Weatherby are essentially the same).

Sam and I took the Wby out today and shot some paper at 100yds. The second picture is four shots (two left, two right). I think the taped ones are four shots too (I changed the scope windage before I took the next four shots). I had to time the shots between wind gusts which added to the challenge, but indications are that it is sufficiently accurate even with the cheapest damn ammo I could find. ;)

Sam had about 2" groups off the lead sled so this gun is a lot easier for him to shoot than my .270, which is exactly what I was hoping for. My daughter is jealous. Perhaps I should buy her a 7mm-08 for family unity :D

Attachments

• s IMG_3100.jpg
    s IMG_3100.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 118
  • s IMG_3101.jpg
    s IMG_3101.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 120
Personally I would go with a 243.
If your serous about a 223, I think that I would check to see if a 223 is even legal to hunt big game with ?.

Kevin

I can attest to the variable vs fixed decision JLS has made. I had a long awaited, short on time hunt, in a not so great area, but managed to get a shooter w/i range on the last day. After some sneaky sneaky around, I had him dead to rights, just as soon as he cleared those junipers 250 yds out.....so I cranked up to 9X, just soz I could put that 140 partition square in the boiler room.

Thennnnn........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next thing I know he's 35yds right in front of me at a good gait!!! Had a hell of a time even trying to pick him up in the scope and, of course I missed ! GONE. Hunt over.

I hunt with my 3-9 on 5X now, and never, ever change it.

Great choice Rob G. The .243 is a great deer and pronghorn round, and the Vanguard will serve you son well. What scope have you picked out for it?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back