2024 Wyoming Pronghorn Special Draw fee effects

How did the 2024 increase in Wyoming proghorn special draw fee effect your application?

• 2023 Special Draw - 2024 Regular Draw

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 2023 Special Draw - 2024 Special Draw

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • 2023 Special Draw - 2024 Points Only

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 2023 Regular Draw - 2024 Special Draw

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • 2023 Regular Draw - 2024 Regular Draw

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 2023 Regular Draw - 2024 Points Only

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 2023 Points Only - 2024 Special Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 Points Only - 2024 Regular Draw

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • 2023 Points Only - 2024 Points Only

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
Yup, price of everything else has gone through the roof and people haven't stopped this shouldn't be much different at least for now.
I think a fair amount will dive into special this year, expecting better odds. Lots of guys building points to hunt a certain unit. Idea is this is the year to jump in the special to take a year or two off draw strategy. If special goes up in points this year I wouldn’t be shocked at all, I think they are the same as last year and then Wyoming wins and their budget looks great. We can refer back to this post when I am right.

I think a fair amount will dive into special this year, expecting better odds. Lots of guys building points to hunt a certain unit. Idea is this is the year to jump in the special to take a year or two off draw strategy. If special goes up in points this year I wouldn’t be shocked at all, I think they are the same as last year and then Wyoming wins and their budget looks great. We can refer back to this post when I am right.
No argument, I'm in total agreement. I think some of those guys that are expecting a great tag because they were the only one willing to fork over the extra money are going to be disappointed. At least that's what I'm telling myself since I went regular this draw.

I'm points only this year but when the time comes, if a few hundred dollars extra is what may make the difference between hunting and not hunting I'll be paying it.

There is something that i think some people are missing if some of your predictions come true. There are LE units (specifically elk but probably apply to lope) that odds in special random are going to be high if just a few special switch to regular. Just something to look at, the elk unit i am thinking about only has a handful of apps with near max point applicants becuase there are so few draw tags....someone is getting that random tag!

Thats a better tip tham gohunt will sell you...lol

Last edited:
People are just not as price sensitive on the kind of thing than we would expect. Many just complain about the price while they hit the "Special" button. Kind of funny, these same people that go Special will probably drive an extra 20 miles to save $0.12/gal to fill up the gas tank.

There is something that i think some people are missing if some of your predictions come true. There are LE units (specifically elk but probably apply to lope) that odds in special random are going to be high if just a few special switch to regular. Just something to look at, the elk unit i am thinking about only has a handful of apps with near max point applicants becuase there are so few draw tags....someone is getting that random tag!
200w-2.gif

I think a lot of people dumped points last year and a lot of people are going to wait and see what happens, grab a point this year, apply next after the dust settles. Then there's people like me who plan on putting in for a unit that took 2 more points last year than my son has, and see if he can get more bang for his buck. If not, we'll get another point, nothing to lose. Either way there will be no shortage of people willing to enter the special draw

I’d like to use mine this year but not sure. It would be in regular with an average of over 10. I haven’t looked much but what did last years tag reductions do to points needed?

Of the family and friends that I know that apply for Antelope, 9 of us 12 applied in the special for the last 5 or so years. This year, my wife and I are the only ones left willing to apply in the special. I guess that is where maybe I'm bias to what it will look like draw wide.

Of the family and friends that I know that apply for Antelope, 9 of us 12 applied in the special for the last 5 or so years. This year, my wife and I are the only ones left willing to apply in the special. I guess that is where maybe I'm bias to what it will look like draw wide.
I think your observation is correct. Lots will jump out of the special, but I think a big group of people will jump in. Resulting in not much change.

I don’t think it is a deal breaker, but when someone applies in multi states for lots of species those extra app fees will add up, e.g. the 2.5% transaction fee. They also have to front the money. If they previously went special for DEA, maybe they only go special for one. Assuming they are chasing random and aren’t paying up to draw using PP.

I’m really interested in seeing what happens. People are hard to predict. When I look at what it costs me to go on a western hunt, tag fee is not the limiting factor. I’m sure there are plenty of antelope tags not worth the $1200, but I know of several units I’d much rather have shelled out $1200 for a Wyoming antelope than that $1200 deer/elk general tag I paid Montana for in 2018.

People seem to have a way of getting comfortable with costs. I remember hearing about how the world was going to end when gas hit $3. Very few folks I know actually changed their spending habits in the short term. Let alone long term.

Not affecting me this year as I am only building points until my sons are old enough to hunt. Same with my dad and my wife. Once they get old enough, I am thinking the most likely situation is my dad will apply with one son, I will apply with one later, and my wife will apply with the third later yet. As of right now, I am planning on putting in for the special draw when these times come, so 2 x $1200 each time and hope that the cost deters enough people to help us get in a good unit. That said, I am not a crazy pronghorn guy, and probably wouldn't do the special fee after these times. It's more wanting to give the boys a good experience at their first opportunity out there.

The real question isn’t how many guys will pay $1,200 for a decent tag. The question is: how many people will pay $1,200 for a second choice tag. I’m giving some hard thoughts to adding a second choice to the special application too.

I’m not made of money, but there are some things I will pay for. A second choice special antelope tag for my dad, my son, and myself to all do a western hunt together for the first and last time - I’ll be your huckleberry. Special or bust.

Points for me, hunting schedule is already too full and draw season has just begun :) . That said I have always just done regular, but if their happened to be a year I had a short schedule, I'd probably pay the money if I thought it would make the difference. I will say hunting is getting really expensive (to the point I have to make hard decisions on what, where and when I draw/put in for), but as long as I don't short change the family, what a great way to spend my money and time! Good luck to all that put in.
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back