2024 Wyoming Elk Special Draw fees effects

How did the 2024 increase in Wyoming elk special draw fee effect your application from 2023 to 2024?

• 2023 Special Draw - 2024 Regular Draw

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • 2023 Special Draw - 2024 Special Draw

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • 2023 Special Draw - 2024 Points Only

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 2023 Regular Draw - 2024 Special Draw

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • 2023 Regular Draw - 2024 Regular Draw

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • 2023 Regular Draw - 2024 Points Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 Points Only - 2024 Special Draw

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • 2023 Points Only - 2024 Regular Draw

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • 2023 Points Only - 2024 Points Only

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters

hogcarpy

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the effects of the increase in the Wyoming elk special draw fee. I posted a poll that hopefully will shed some light on how our applications may have changed or not changed. Hopefully we can get a lot of participation. We may see a trend or two. Thanks.

Reactions: JAG
You missed a didn’t effect it I did the same as I have for all the other years
then you would select (reg - reg) or (spec - spec). He does not have (points - points) but I'm not so sure that group of people is necessarily impacted by the change at this draw.

then you would select (reg - reg) or (spec - spec). He does not have (points - points) but I'm not so sure that group of people is necessarily impacted by the change at this draw.
I went point point more so waiting to see how this burns down with 90-10 talk than price. Hoping a bunch of people jump out because the sky is falling

Special to regular this round for me. I don't necessarily always go special or regular in wyoming for any of the draws. One is not always better than the other depending on multiple things imo.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong or misunderstand, but I believe that the price increase for this year was known (or thought to be high possibility) before applications for last year went in? If I remember correctly some of the services told people to burn their points last year as well?

I'm sticking with the standard draw again this year. I'm applying across multiple states so happy to take the standard draw risk of lower odds. In future I'll probably apply in the special draw if it provides better odds.

If the special draw increase has any impact on slowing point creep, 2024 will be the best time to spend the extra coin. Do it now before the sticker shock wears off.

Lust for big elk horns will eventually overtake most and then WY will increase the special tag price again.

Edit:
@hogcarpy
Nice work on covering every meaningful scenario.
I voted and then changed it since you considered another angle.

I am out of the elk draw completely. I burned max points last year and won’t start again. WY is wonderful, but there are other places to hunt elk. I may well be a resident there in the not too distant future. If so, I will get back in.

Well done WY for taking care of residents first. CO could learn a LOT from your state!

Good luck in the draws.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back