PEAX Equipment

2024 New Mexico Draw Results

Only elk and deer applications for me this year. I drew Barbary last year and had fun but it wasn't the quality of hunt that I was expecting so I think I'll save money for Texas. Good luck everyone!

Only elk and deer applications for me this year. I drew Barbary last year and had fun but it wasn't the quality of hunt that I was expecting so I think I'll save money for Texas. Good luck everyone!
What tag did you have?

I've been hearing more and more of struggles with NM Aoudad tags. I don't think you're alone. My best buddy's bro drew and they had a really tough hunt this winter. Got a younger ram, but really spent a lot of time without seeing much.

I've been hearing more and more of struggles with NM Aoudad tags. I don't think you're alone. My best buddy's bro drew and they had a really tough hunt this winter. Got a younger ram, but really spent a lot of time without seeing much.
Barbary sheep are a tough Hunt. I’ve hunted deer, quail, javelina and taken work trips in the southern barbary units and I’ve only see Barbary 3 times. They can be anywhere and no where. I have heard by a lot of people that they don’t taste good so I don’t put in for Barbary but they do make cool mounts if you get one.

Barbary sheep are a tough Hunt. I’ve hunted deer, quail, javelina and taken work trips in the southern barbary units and I’ve only see Barbary 3 times. They can be anywhere and no where. I have heard by a lot of people that they don’t taste good so I don’t put in for Barbary but they do make cool mounts if you get one.
Barbary can be a very tough hunt, hard to find sometimes, but the challenge of it makes the hunt exciting! And I have to disagree, I've had no meat any better than Barbary! A young Ram or Ewe are amazing. Rams can be chewy, but flavor is great.

Barbary can be a very tough hunt, hard to find sometimes, but the challenge of it makes the hunt exciting! And I have to disagree, I've had no meat any better than Barbary! A young Ram or Ewe are amazing. Rams can be chewy, but flavor is great.
First I’ve heard that! Maybe I’ll start putting in for a hunt again.

What unit are you doing OTC javelina? I am planning on going this weekend to 29 to try and bag one

First I’ve heard that! Maybe I’ll start putting in for a hunt again.

What unit are you doing OTC javelina? I am planning on going this weekend to 29 to try and bag one
Never hunted the SE for Javelina, but hear 30 can be good. I usually hunt in the SW part of the state in the units surrounding the draw units.

I just put in for rifle buck in my home and neighboring units, which have pretty good odds for drawing. Also swung for the fences on rifle bull tags. I really hope I pull the deer tag again, really fun desert hunt.

i put in for elk and audad - skipping oryx this year. I'm actually secretly hoping just to get the refund this year. I don't know how i'll swing it if i do draw anything. might have to get a second job, or a job that pays the bills like mine used to!

Drew a 16d elk in 2019
Barbary Sheep 2021
Bought a LO tag for elk15 in 2022
This year I’m in for Barbary Sheep, big horn, oryx, elk, deer and antelope.
Talked to a Landowner about a elk tag (17) LO tag if I don’t draw anything
I think you should absolutely take advantage of whatever NMGF allows you to do, but this brushes up against an issue that could improve draw odds. It would be quite easy for NMGF to make applying in the draw make you ineligible to purchase a landowner tag, and visa-versa. If you had to pick your method of acquiring a tag, it would take one person out of the draw for every LO tag sold. That would help residents, and non-residents alike.

Not bashing you at all. As long as NM allows you to do it, I can’t figure out why you wouldn’t take advantage.

Back