PEAX Equipment

2023Ammo Shortages, Here We Go Again

In northern NY, ammo shelves look full, though a careful inspection shows that they're still light on most popular hunting rifle cartridges. Primers are still non-existent here, as are many popular powders.

I finally was able to stock up on primers online, meaning I'll have no trouble for next hunting season. That said, I'm crossing fingers that some of the bullets, brass and powder that I use will show up over the next year. H 4895 is top of the list for me.

I've always really liked Nosler bullets and try to use them, but they seem to be the toughest bullets to find these days. Obviously, the production to demand ratio for the them is very tight. It's making me think about relying more on other brands that are less in-demand.

Ukraine has nothing to do with about 99% of our hunting ammo supply...if even that much. It's so fun to be hysterical though!
Yeah i was giving him a hard time because he's reaching and needed to prove to us his justification for the hysteria. No source but "trust me bro". I found 1 recent Youtube video that may be the source of the OP's first post and it's a dude standing in front of a painted white basement wall. I didn't listen because I knew it was BS but clicked through and he was using pictures of eastern european police

.257wby was on the shelf at $112
It seems that anything with Weatherby name on the ammo is crazy expensive. Glad I don't shoot any of their stuff because dang.

Last edited:
Im sure you bought your reloading equipment years ago at reasonable prices, but have you seen the price of new equipment.like ammo and the components, they gouge your eyeballs out. BOHICA, Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. I just don't have the time or patience to reload, and trying to get the proper load, powder, primer, etc. My factory ammo gives me 3/4" groups out of my Shilen match barrel. Good enough for me. And my Remington 700 in .30-06 does a tad better. It's ain't the arrow, it's the indian at that point.
I bought it in 2020, around the beginning of covid.

Im sure you bought your reloading equipment years ago at reasonable prices, but have you seen the price of new equipment.like ammo and the components, they gouge your eyeballs out. BOHICA, Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. I just don't have the time or patience to reload, and trying to get the proper load, powder, primer, etc. My factory ammo gives me 3/4" groups out of my Shilen match barrel. Good enough for me. And my Remington 700 in .30-06 does a tad better. It's ain't the arrow, it's the indian at that point.
90553966-B06F-4C40-AE70-A7B464ED8CD8.png

Is it that expensive? I bought my Rockchucker kit in 1997 and I’m pretty sure I paid around $250+ for it. Given an annual inflationary rate of 3% I don’t see much validity to this claim.
I'm sure. I feel your pain. I use Federal Premium 160gr Accubonds or TSX's in my 7mm Rem Mag. Fortunately I bought 6 boxes of Accubonds and 5 boxes of TSXs last Feb and March when they showed up on Vista Outdoors website(Federal). Thank God. Now, all they have is 140gr bullets in 2 types. That's it.

I think this shortage, which has already gone 3 years, could last another 5 years, unless a peace settlement in the Ukraine happens.
E3351C47-C8C4-453C-B09A-8338C3F0323D.jpeg

In northern NY, ammo shelves look full, though a careful inspection shows that they're still light on most popular hunting rifle cartridges. Primers are still non-existent here, as are many popular powders.

I finally was able to stock up on primers online, meaning I'll have no trouble for next hunting season. That said, I'm crossing fingers that some of the bullets, brass and powder that I use will show up over the next year. H 4895 is top of the list for me.

I've always really liked Nosler bullets and try to use them, but they seem to be the toughest bullets to find these days. Obviously, the production to demand ratio for the them is very tight. It's making me think about relying more on other brands that are less in-demand.
I've been trying to find Accubonds in 7mm (140gr) and 338(200gr) and havent seen any in a couple years. Similar story with Berger elite hunters. I've slowly been converting everything over to Hammer and Bad Lands precision.

Saw a video on Youtube predicting 2023 ammo shortages, so I decided to see what is available on Federal's website for premium ammo, mostly the widely popular calibers. I counted 40 different bullet types only across say 8 calibers. So it's here already. I ended up buying 3 boxes of .30-06 that my Rem 700 shoots reasonably well. Cost me $192!! Unbelieveable is all I can say. Premium ammo is non-existent. Junk ammo in 5.56, .308, and 9mm is there, I guess. The Ukraine is sucking up our resources. I'm not sure if voting in a republican can help the ammo situation because the repubs are just was intent in getting us involved in these crazy wars to pump up the defense businesses.
Federal limits production to limit supply to increase profit. They're making more money for less work. Stop falling for it. You're annoying the rest of us.

I've been trying to find Accubonds in 7mm (140gr) and 338(200gr) and havent seen any in a couple years. Similar story with Berger elite hunters. I've slowly been converting everything over to Hammer and Bad Lands precision.
I think accubonds are going into factory loaded ammo. Once the shelves fill up they will go into little black boxes

Lots of ammo on the shelves right now, may not be every different load for all the cartridges, but there is plenty enough premium types to find something that works for your particular rifle. Was at Sportsman's today, buddy was getting a Tikka in 6.5CM and asked me to go get him 3 boxes of copper ammo. Lots of Barnes 127LRX at $46 per, looked at the price of 6.5PRC Barnes, $83- whew! Glad I reload.

Lots of ammo on the shelves right now, may not be every different load for all the cartridges, but there is plenty enough premium types to find something that works for your particular rifle. Was at Sportsman's today, buddy was getting a Tikka in 6.5CM and asked me to go get him 3 boxes of copper ammo. Lots of Barnes 127LRX at $46 per, looked at the price of 6.5PRC Barnes, $83- whew! Glad I reload.
Sportsmans may have a fair amount of ammo, but evidently they are still out of 338 WinMag.

The only ammo you can’t find, and haven’t been able to buy for 2 years is Accubond .28 Nosler. Other out there but this one is the best IMO. I feel glad I hoarded some. It’s worth more than gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back