Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2023Ammo Shortages, Here We Go Again

As a non-hoarder, I'd really like to not have to worry about buying powder, primers, etc. I had 1k primers I bought for normal price prior to Covid, along with a couple different powders, but not a ton. I just want the availability to be there again so I can shoot more. I've got a new scope in the mail and I'd like to play with. But I'd also like to know I'm not going to shoot myself out of components for upcoming hunting seasons.

I doubt prices will ever come back down. They saw what they could get away with and are going to be greedy now.
Yeah poor sentence structure on my part...I should have said supply getting better. Prices I'm afraid will stay but I have already seen a few "sales" but they really only dropped price to 2021 prices. I have seen some places selling primers below $100/brick but no LR primers that I've been watching for friends.

I’ve found several places on line that have primers for a decent price, but every time I do some research on the company, all the reviews say they’re a scam. 🤦‍♂️. Sucks being one component short for a new rifle.

The Federal ammo site allows/offers the option to be notified when each specific type of ammo is available. I've signed up to be notified for one particular 270WSM Trophy Copper round, for instance.

Another option would be to use some of the aggregator sites where sellers post offerings. You might try AmmoSeek and AmmoBuy. I've used these and others to buy ammo that I couldn't find locally. Pricing has been significantly less than direct from the manufacturer. As an example, there are 165 individual listings of Federal 30-06 at AmmoSeek at this time. 30 of those are for Federal Premium rounds. You might find what you seek...

Lastly, if you know what shoots well for a particular gun, buy a long-term supply when you find it. Although I'm still a buyer for the 270WSM Trophy Copper, I bought a significant number of Hornady CX when I found it available. If it shoots well during my next range visit, I will not be a Trophy Copper buyer any longer. Sometimes (my) the best option is to adapt.
Yeah, after I ordered I did find that ammo cheaper on ammoseek.com. BUT, is it really in stock, are there hidden fees, yada yada yada. Better to have bought it, and get it, than to miss it trying to find a deal.

I'm in decent shape as far as supplies go. I probably should latch onto a thou of Federal or CCI large rifle match primers if I find them reasonable again. If I run low on what I have I've got Rem LR and Rem and Federal LR magnum to resort to. Ammo supply doesn't affect me.

Factory 338 WinMag ammo with top tier hunting bullets (Swift A Frame, Nosler Partition) has been really hard to come by for a couple of years now. Ammoseek on occasion has some lesser bullet types for high prices, but not the types that I like to hunt with.

Factory 338 WinMag ammo with top tier hunting bullets (Swift A Frame, Nosler Partition) has been really hard to come by for a couple of years now. Ammoseek on occasion has some lesser bullet types for high prices, but not the types that I like to hunt with.
That's why I started reloading a few years ago. And it's extremely expensive if you do find it

Great, just when the situation on ammo shelves really has improved over the last couple of months. I have finally found some primers and a few other items I have been looking for the last few years. Now the 70ish year olds with 20000 primers on hand will feel the need to take that to 25000 even though there is no way they will ever use them all.

Great, just when the situation on ammo shelves really has improved over the last couple of months. I have finally found some primers and a few other items I have been looking for the last few years. Now the 70ish year olds with 20000 primers on hand will feel the need to take that to 25000 even though there is no way they will ever use them all.
Article just reeled in another one!

That article is just fishing to get people wound up over something that’s not really true.

That's why I started reloading a few years ago. And it's extremely expensive if you do find it
Im sure you bought your reloading equipment years ago at reasonable prices, but have you seen the price of new equipment.like ammo and the components, they gouge your eyeballs out. BOHICA, Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. I just don't have the time or patience to reload, and trying to get the proper load, powder, primer, etc. My factory ammo gives me 3/4" groups out of my Shilen match barrel. Good enough for me. And my Remington 700 in .30-06 does a tad better. It's ain't the arrow, it's the indian at that point.

Last edited:
I'm sure. I feel your pain. I use Federal Premium 160gr Accubonds or TSX's in my 7mm Rem Mag. Fortunately I bought 6 boxes of Accubonds and 5 boxes of TSXs last Feb and March when they showed up on Vista Outdoors website(Federal). Thank God. Now, all they have is 140gr bullets in 2 types. That's it.

I think this shortage, which has already gone 3 years, could last another 5 years, unless a peace settlement in the Ukraine happens.

unless a peace settlement in the Ukraine happens.
Enlighten me on how this effects the availability of 160 Accubonds...I can't put any correlation

EDIT: the 160gr Accubond and many of it's counterparts the 140gr and 180gr Accubond and many partitions have been unavailable since 2019 (possibly before)

Last edited:
I haven't seen so much ammo on store shelves in years. Its 80% back here. Hell cabelas has a bunch of wsm ammo sitting there.
I bought a brick of rem 7 1/2 primers on sale for $87 with free hazard shipping from Natchez.
It's just coming back.

3 boxes of premium 30-06 for $192 online? Screaming deal. I went by Sportsmans the other day and one box of TTSX for my .257wby was on the shelf at $112. Called my buddy on the way home and told him I needed to borrow his press again...

Enlighten me on how this effects the availability of 160 Accubonds...I can't put any correlation

EDIT: the 160gr Accubond and many of it's counterparts the 140gr and 180gr Accubond and many partitions have been unavailable since 2019 (possibly before)
Zelesnkyy has been going around to every major western government begging for precision missiles, tanks, and fighter jets Nosler Accubond hunting bullets.

Actually a bit on shelves here these days, bought 10 boxes of 115g 9mm for plinking Saturday at $12.99/box (50) and no tax in OR

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back