Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2023Ammo Shortages, Here We Go Again

Cornbread

Saw a video on Youtube predicting 2023 ammo shortages, so I decided to see what is available on Federal's website for premium ammo, mostly the widely popular calibers. I counted 40 different bullet types only across say 8 calibers. So it's here already. I ended up buying 3 boxes of .30-06 that my Rem 700 shoots reasonably well. Cost me $192!! Unbelieveable is all I can say. Premium ammo is non-existent. Junk ammo in 5.56, .308, and 9mm is there, I guess. The Ukraine is sucking up our resources. I'm not sure if voting in a republican can help the ammo situation because the repubs are just was intent in getting us involved in these crazy wars to pump up the defense businesses.

It's YouTube videos like you mention that causes it. Stop believing influencers and it won't happen. But hey if you want to buy 100 boxes knowing you'll only shoot 15 shots all year then go ahead and hoard. Ukraine isn't burning up premium 30-06 ammo or resources that's just a lame scapegoat. Sure some companies (and definitely not the big premium guys) have pledged millions of rounds but it's the same "junk" ammo you don't want to shoot.

I hope you looked around a bit more than just federal’s site. I haven’t ever seen any good deals from them. My bet is that you could have shopped around and found the same stuff on a different site for considerably cheaper.

Saw a video on Youtube predicting 2023 ammo shortages, so I decided to see what is available on Federal's website for premium ammo, mostly the widely popular calibers. I counted 40 different bullet types only across say 8 calibers. So it's here already. I ended up buying 3 boxes of .30-06 that my Rem 700 shoots reasonably well. Cost me $192!! Unbelieveable is all I can say. Premium ammo is non-existent. Junk ammo in 5.56, .308, and 9mm is there, I guess. The Ukraine is sucking up our resources. I'm not sure if voting in a republican can help the ammo situation because the repubs are just was intent in getting us involved in these crazy wars to pump up the defense businesses.
The Federal ammo site allows/offers the option to be notified when each specific type of ammo is available. I've signed up to be notified for one particular 270WSM Trophy Copper round, for instance.

Another option would be to use some of the aggregator sites where sellers post offerings. You might try AmmoSeek and AmmoBuy. I've used these and others to buy ammo that I couldn't find locally. Pricing has been significantly less than direct from the manufacturer. As an example, there are 165 individual listings of Federal 30-06 at AmmoSeek at this time. 30 of those are for Federal Premium rounds. You might find what you seek...

Lastly, if you know what shoots well for a particular gun, buy a long-term supply when you find it. Although I'm still a buyer for the 270WSM Trophy Copper, I bought a significant number of Hornady CX when I found it available. If it shoots well during my next range visit, I will not be a Trophy Copper buyer any longer. Sometimes (my) the best option is to adapt.

Last edited:
1675786365295.png
I saw a YouTube video where this guy said space aliens are coming down soon to staff the Nosler plant so all should be right in the world.

Barnes 30-06 are like ~$40 a box right now. Aliens have already been working diligently at their factory.

I hope folks take more into consideration than the availability of Federal 30-06 ammo when they go to the ballot box

Things mostly seem to be coming back aside from a few items that are still hard to come by. Now if someone could just hook me up with somewhere to get Fed 210M primers, that would be great. Lol

FISH ON! FISH ON!

View attachment 263752

While prices have nearly doubled things are predicted to be better. I'd wager most of the prices are from panic buying done by hoarders and profiteers selling on Gunbroker
As a non-hoarder, I'd really like to not have to worry about buying powder, primers, etc. I had 1k primers I bought for normal price prior to Covid, along with a couple different powders, but not a ton. I just want the availability to be there again so I can shoot more. I've got a new scope in the mail and I'd like to play with. But I'd also like to know I'm not going to shoot myself out of components for upcoming hunting seasons.

I doubt prices will ever come back down. They saw what they could get away with and are going to be greedy now.

I didn't realize we had come back from a shortage to be able to get into a new shortage. Federal hasn't had much available for a couple of years now, at least for what I am looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back