2023 Utah Draw Results

Desk Pop

Let's get it going.

Who is in?

What animals have you drawn previously?

Where you at in points?

Maybe even post some photos of stuff you've killed in Utah to get everyone excited.

It appears @Khunter @Greenhorn and @Steve O, among others, may all be sitting pretty for elk tags. Looking forward to seeing some great stories of hunts for big elk.

Last edited:
I'm in.

I've pulled a muzzy deer tag and and rifle pronghorn buck and doe tags. I do my dad's apps, and he has also gotten a rifle pronghorn as well.

16 points for mountain goat, 14 for elk and other stuff I haven't drawn.

After NM results came out and I was unsuccessful, I focused on a lower quality (for Utah) elk tag I've been trying to pull for a while.
Screenshot_20230427-092225-129~2.png
Screenshot_20230427-092310-939.png

I'm on waiting period for elk and also cashed in my deer points a few years ago, so my odds of drawing anything is nill. I have some general deer points but just bought another point, might use them in 2024.

I'm in too.

Drew OIL moose in 2007, limited entry elk in 2009 and pronghorn in 2021. One of my son's drew pronghorn a few years ago and my brother has drawn mountain goat.

I'm sitting on 15 points for mountain goat, 14 for deer, sheep and bison and 8 for elk.

I figure my only realistic shot is lower tier deer and elk sometime in the next 20+ years. Mountain goat, sheep and bison are more of a yearly donation at this point.

I'm in for elk. Chances are slim, but not zero 🤣

Chances are I'll just live vicariously through the high point holding HTers, and I can live with that.

I didn't know this when I applied, but according to another Utah thread I am a financially irresponsible gambler for applying to Utah

When I entered UT I had an 80% chance of drawing a rifle elk tag in non-crapper unit at least once in a 20yr period. Due to switching the odd numbered tags to preference(cutting odds for units with 3 tags in half!) and the increased demand, that number is substantially lower, although I haven’t calculated it in a while. If I stick in UT, I will most likely never draw an elk tag.

At the time I entered, I had about a 50% chance of drawing at least one OIL species over a 20yr period. That has also dropped to near zero.

80% chance at one elk tag and 50% chance at one OIL, and I was borderline okay with rolling those dice. NV gave me similar odds, but cost almost 10X as much to apply due to the higher priced license and having to purchase a license every year. On top of the that, due to point squaring, the probability that I would draw one of those tags in the first 10 years instead of the second 10 years was something like 4X higher in UT than NV. I’m also a sucker for any 4x4 mule deer, and as a result I have a stack of 135”-145” skulls. The UT general deer tag was also a big advantage over NV, but if I was looking for big bucks, UT general deer would not have enticed me. TODAY HOWEVER, my odds of drawing a good elk tag in UT in just 20yrs are far lower. My odds of drawing a OIL tag are near zero. The the prices have gone up , although not tooooo much EXCEPT for the general deer tag. The general deer tag price increase was really a bitter pill. I love opportunity, but when UT puts out more late rifle deer tags than there were bucks before the archery, muzzle loader, and early rifle seasons, I really have to wonder why I would pay almost as much as CO to hunt an overcrowded unit full of dinks(I know some big ones come out of general units sometimes), in the last season where only the leftovers remain.

I’m going to hunt a general deer hunt at least once before I bail on UT. If I’m pleasantly surprised, I’ll keep it in the rotation for years that I don’t draw NM and don’t have the points for the hunt I want in CO or AZ. If it stinks, I’m probably out on UT.

Last edited:
I lucked out and drew a UT elk tag a few years ago with 2 points. I’ll probably never draw anything there again, but i still apply. In for deer, gen deer, bison. I’ve probably spent money on dumber things, though I can’t think of anything at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_9129.jpeg
    IMG_9129.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
2 points for elk, I've been pretty lucky and drew twice. Both were MZ tags. One I killed a nice 6 point and the other I blew a couple stalks on nice bulls and ended up killing a little 5 point at the end of season.
22 points for desert bighorn, but with so few non resident tags those are just for looks unless somehow they start having more than 1 NR tag per unit. As of now they just go in the random due to the lack of a second NR tag.
14 points across the board for all other species I believe.
I plan on meeting a friend from AZ for an antelope hunt next year. Really looking forward to that!
I have max points for General deer and probably pick a hunt to try in the next couple years. I will share my points with a friend or family member most likely :)
I have a plan to use my LE deer points soon, but got lucky and drew MT deer and have a real good chance for CO deer, so it will have to wait due to season date conflicts.
Good luck to all that are in!

I'm in too.

Drew OIL moose in 2007, limited entry elk in 2009 and pronghorn in 2021. One of my son's drew pronghorn a few years ago and my brother has drawn mountain goat.

I'm sitting on 15 points for mountain goat, 14 for deer, sheep and bison and 8 for elk.

I figure my only realistic shot is lower tier deer and elk sometime in the next 20+ years. Mountain goat, sheep and bison are more of a yearly donation at this point.
Utah has been good to you.

Provided creep doesn’t get me and nobody who has been sitting on the sidelines jumps in I have around a 99.3% (if I did the math right) chance onnnnn—

not drawing anything!

Me, wife and kids in for it all, I doubt any hunt we applied for is better than 1%, so I just apply and forget about it. I think me and her are at 3pp and the kids at 2. I'd really like to get a bison

In for buck and doe antelope in a zone with the highest draw odds for my single digit points. The kids (5 & 7) have been begging to go with dad on my yearly hunting trips. So this is the year to try pronghorn as their gateway drug into western hunting to see if it sticks. Even the wife says she will come too!

Didn’t put in for anything. May get an OTC general elk when they go on sale in July depending on what other plans are solidified by then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back