2023 IL Gun Deer Season

TheGreek

Who’s headed out this Friday for the opener? @Nick87? @Dave N? @midwesterncrosshair ?@DouglasR?

@Dave N sucks to hear about your access issues. Hope you still get out some this year and knock one down.

I’m making the long trip from NW CO to West Central IL to see if I can get lucky one last time in IL on public. Gonna be a long drive tomorrow but I reckon it’ll be worth it to spend Friday morning in a hardwood stand when the sun comes up while dreaming that a big IL bruiser jumps the fence from the private outfitted property onto the public I’m hunting.

Here’s a few West Central IL bucks from the past few years from the same public spot I’m headed to.
D98DB36C-908F-45C6-87A4-8FCD3DD1D05D.jpeg67785298-0EC8-4A98-A9DB-A5C11817E3D7.jpeg6C53B357-90E0-4405-A941-26EE6095C8B8.jpeg

Nope will hopefully be hunting Saturday and Sunday though. Good luck on your trip back. Cold front moving in should really help for the opener.
I hope you’re right. Good 10 degree temp drop in the low from Thursday to Friday. Fingers crossed a dumb one made it through archery season.

Big burst of wind hit and temps dropping. Only 2 shots heard so far, slow for everyone.

Give it an hour or two two make your way. The temp has dropped about 10 since I left the house for work this morning. It's coming
It’s cooling off for sure. Hasn’t helped with the deer movement though. Slow morning. Have heard a fair amount of shots coming from the surrounding private but not as many as some years.

I only heard 5 shots. 20 years ago we could hear hundreds opening morning. Between the 4 of us, only 1 deer was seen.

Got lucky at last light again this year on opening day! Killed this buck outta the same tree on the same ridge at the same time of the day as the buck I killed last year. Only deer I saw all day. And a friendly firefighter from southern IL who was hunting near me even helped me drag him out most of the way!
8417E6C7-C530-40A2-A595-852EAA7247F6.jpeg

Got lucky at last light again this year on opening day! Killed this buck outta the same tree on the same ridge at the same time of the day as the buck I killed last year. Only deer I saw all day. And a friendly firefighter from southern IL who was hunting near me even helped me drag him out most of the way!
View attachment 302153

1537377351.6515-smiley.gif

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back