PEAX Equipment

2023 Garden!

It's amazing what some of you are growing and what you are growing them in.

I took a chance and planted a little over 2 weeks ago. Usually have a chance of frost clear into the first week of June around here.
It took a while for everything to come up. Not enough heat so got out the plastic and covered a lot of the beds. Have hoops on all the beds. Not too hard to put up the plastic and clip it on. It has made a difference everything is coming up good now.

I have 5 greenhouses here. One was here we built 3 little hot house types and bought a real nice one from the Amish. I grow my asparagus in one hot house and it has done great. I put my spuds back into the ground this year and not in a raised bed to see if there is a difference.

Gardening at 5080 feet is a challenge. I've learned to only buy seeds that grow at 50 to 60 days and so far it seems to be working. All the tomatoes and peppers are in a greenhouse. Too much wind here in the summer and tomatoes and peppers don't like wind.

I've went to cow pots to start my seeds in now and they are 10 times better than the Peet pots. Also trying the string trellis with clips for the tomatoes this year. Tired of fighting cages in greenhouses. So far no problems.

I get the clips for the string trellis the rollers and the clips for the hoops all from Johnny's seeds. I get the cow pots off of Amazon. If anyone is interested. I use Dr. Jim Z's products to fertilize all of my garden and lawn and trees. A little more expensive but pet friendly and better for the environment. The soil up here is all glacier silt with no minerals in it at all. The weeds love it but growing lawns and other edibles it takes good fertilizers.

I have also used 5 gallon cloth bags for growing onions and tomatoes in. They work okay still out on that one.

Lettuce is doing great in one hot house and have already went through the radishes. Have planted in a small hot house and it's coming up nicely.

Good luck everyone. If I can keep the pests out of the trees (deer and rabbits) the grasshoppers off the strawberries I'll be doing good.

My kids wear Santa Jammie’s all year too!
Her elf on a shelf and grinch pj's are her two favorites.

Anyone else use old cattle mineral barrels for planters? Every cow pasture in my area has 3 or 4 of them laying around got 16 out of one pasture once. My wife says it looks trashy. I plan to do 2 more raised bed this year in the same design as my others. Just priced materials it's gonna be 3x what it was last time I installed one in 2018. One day I'd like to have 10-12 raised beds.20230604_110849.jpg20230604_110843.jpg20230604_110849.jpg20230604_110854.jpg

My sister used cattle mineral barrels for wicking tubs last year. She lined the bottom with 4 inch drain tile and then filled them with potting mix. Put a 2 inch pvc pipe into the 4 inch tile ro allow for adding water. They did well. She is trying the fabric planter wicking tubs this year, pics in prior post.

We plant a small garden on the ranch we work for and I have some raised beds in the backyard here at home.
Ranch garden is in and growing, planted my tomatoes in town yesterday. Peppers go in this week.
Ranch grows nice onions and shallots, I get good tomatoes at home.
Wind protection for tomatoes and peppers and a watering timer works great on the soaker hose. I just have to weed every time we go up and move water in the meadows.

DSCN1850 copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back