2023 Garden!

Back from a little more than 3 weeks in Europe and not being able to access hunttalk.
My garden is fried, okra and sweet potatoes are the only thing thriving. End of the month will be time to start extending the garden, and beginning to replenish the soil in the existing area. Fall planting will be here before I know it.
Location?

Sounds good to me.

My wife and I’s joke is you can tell the new gardeners by the people trying to give you summer squash and huge zucchini’s.

Neighbors kids came over with a basket full a few days ago and we both broke out laughing. Kids were telling us stories of monster zucchini’s happening overnight.
FB_IMG_1688837196573.jpeg.jpg

Big garden day. Graffiti Cauliflower is starting to ripen. Last English pea pick. Big year with 2 gallons froze for winter consumption. Lettuce box weeded for everything that bolted. Broad beans are getting picked. Tomato’s pruned and tied to the cattle panel. Strawberries will get one last pick and trimmed back. Last round of artichokes will get picked. Daughter picked a big bowl of black raspberries.

My pie and a half cherry tree has produced more than 5 pies worth of cherries.

Wife is going to can/freeze this afternoon.

We’re going fishing at a high mountain lake tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1236.jpeg
    IMG_1236.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Our miniature Montmorency Cherry tree has produced enough cherries for a pie and a half each year for the last 15 years.

This year - we have picked 10 quarts (pies) from the tree and left at least another two quarts for the birds.

I’m not sure if the tree is dying or it really loved the couple scoops of compost I gave it in the spring.

If you come by the Moore house and see/smell a pie cooling, it’s probably a cherry pie this year. They are delicious.

Attachments

• 39305EDA-152F-476D-BCF2-B70D9AC71FE6.jpeg
    39305EDA-152F-476D-BCF2-B70D9AC71FE6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
SVB trap got a few. I've been able to withstand the buggers most years until the pickle worms start in July. Once I see those I just pull my plants. Usually tired of squash by then.
IMG_20230723_090621350.jpg

Blossom end rot. You or God is overwatering.
I have a few that have that. It’s been dry as heck and hotter than Hades here. I water my tomatoes every other day and sometimes I forget to turn the sprinkler off for several hours. What would you consider the proper amount of watering?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back