Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2023 Garden!

Our cukes suck. 2 plants and they just never took off. I picked 2 so far and have another one close. One plant has a few more small ones started and the other is bare. Last year we were loaded.

Watermelon and cantaloupe are just vines. A few blossoms showing but I don't know if anything will happen. I'll probably rip them out and mow through there.

Tomatoes are coming along but the plants are small this year. Half of last year. Saw some that were turning red and some were partly rotten or eaten. 3 Roma plants and 1 cherry.

Dug up a few red potatoes yesterday for spareribs and kraut in the crockpot. Very tasty and we're loaded with them! Yukon taters in the other row.

Now I have a problem in my asparagus patch. I have a small critter digging things up. Not sure what it is, though. It will dig a hole about 1 1/2" wide and between holes it looks like a mini excavator dug a trench like a canal! It's behind the garage so I can't look out the window and see what it is. Not anything I've seen ground squirrels do but not going to rule that out. Anyone have any idea? No timber near me and I'm surrounded by corn and soybeans.

Watermelon and cantaloupe are just vines. A few blossoms showing but I don't know if anything will happen. I'll probably rip them out and mow through there.

Tomatoes are coming along but the plants are small this year. Half of last year. Saw some that were turning red and some were partly rotten or eaten. 3 Roma plants and 1 cherry.

Now I have a problem in my asparagus patch. I have a small critter digging things up. Not sure what it is, though. It will dig a hole about 1 1/2" wide and between holes it looks like a mini excavator dug a trench like a canal! It's behind the garage so I can't look out the window and see what it is. Not anything I've seen ground squirrels do but not going to rule that out. Anyone have any idea? No timber near me and I'm surrounded by corn and soybeans.
I had the same problems with my squash plants this year. One produced a decent set of fruit and the rest just spread out like ornamental hedges so I ripped them out.

Tomatoes are putting out like nobody's business, and they'll continue producing through October.

One of my asparagus got wiped out by a gnawing critter. Chewed it to the base, I'm pretty sure it's a squirrel or a rat. Time to put the thermal on a .22 rifle
20230716_195546.jpg

After a late start, my pumpkins seem to be catching up and will hopefully fulfill my goal of not having to go to someone else’s pumpkin patch this year
zucchini… well, that’s doing zucchini things… we will be throwing it at people as the pass by.
Tomatoes are all looking great and peas, too.
Onions… we’ll see.
I can’t grow watermelon to save my tush here in Wisco, might have to start it in the basement next year.
Sweet corn started very slow but might catch up.
Next year, I’ll have more time and more manure

Not from the garden but lots of Saskatoon berries this year. This is two nights of picking. Should keep me in Saskatoon pie and crisp for awhile
View attachment 284104
View attachment 284105
I have found lots of spray with DEET is important for tick control when picking Saskatoons !! My cousins always can or freeze some extra for me if I don’t get out there for picking.

I have found lots of spray with DEET is important for tick control when picking Saskatoons !! My cousins always can or freeze some extra for me if I don’t get out there for picking.
I’m far enough north there isn’t many ticks. I have also Only had issues with tick first things in the spring like late April or may.

I cut the rest of the broccoli and cauliflower. 4 heads are missing- ate or given away. Only half of cauliflower was ready. Broccoli will continue to produce until frost.

I sent a bountiful harvest email to my neighbors who might want a head.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
Both of my outdoor faucets are blown out and I don’t want to go in the crawl space to mess with them till this fall/winter when insects are dead.
Does dumping a gallon of water on this grapevine everyday do anything or does it need more than that?
B7262E18-3547-477E-AD7C-C62E4832834C.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back