2023 Garden!

I told the wife no more July vacations. Left today for 9 days in New England, we messaged the neighbors to just take whatever they want. First beefsteak tomatoes and peaches will be in this week, also beans, peppers, eggplant, raspberries, lettuce and broccoli are all going strong.
I'm already looking forward to my first garden tomato blt of the summer when we get back.

I told the wife no more July vacations. Left today for 9 days in New England, we messaged the neighbors to just take whatever they want. First beefsteak tomatoes and peaches will be in this week, also beans, peppers, eggplant, raspberries, lettuce and broccoli are all going strong.
I'm already looking forward to my first garden tomato blt of the summer when we get back.
We went on vacay and I got lazy weeding and running the sprinkler.

Yeah, I wondered about that and started watering the ground and keeping the plant dry. 🤷‍♂️

So I finally got the wife to start making zichinni bread since it's piling up to the ceiling. She's never made it before...she put chocolate chips in it 😤. Sigh, time to refresh the divorce thread.
Sounds good to me.

My wife and I’s joke is you can tell the new gardeners by the people trying to give you summer squash and huge zucchini’s.

Neighbors kids came over with a basket full a few days ago and we both broke out laughing. Kids were telling us stories of monster zucchini’s happening overnight.

Sounds good to me.

My wife and I’s joke is you can tell the new gardeners by the people trying to give you summer squash and huge zucchini’s.

Neighbors kids came over with a basket full a few days ago and we both broke out laughing. Kids were telling us stories of monster zucchini’s happening overnight.
Guy at work does the same look at the size of this one!

Squirrels, damned squirrels! I normally plant 100/120 hills of sweet corn, enough to last me out the year and give some to friends but this year the squirrels started digging the kernels up as soon as they sprouted. Next day I replant the missing hills and next day they dig up the new ones as well as 25 more. Next day I reseed half my corn crop and the day after they get the new ones so I give up. Corn grows to 18 inches and the rabbits started cutting it off to get the moisture in the bottom of the stalk, getting 8 stalks before getting discouraged by my pellet gun.

Just as the silks start to dry on the corn and the kernels start filling out the squirrels fell in on the remaining crop, getting 2-4 ears per day. I have too much to do to find time for babysitting corn but the pellet gun found it's mark enough times that the herd began to thin. I finally in desperation pulled all the corn that seemed ready though 40% or so wasn't filled out adequately, resulting in a bumper crop of 38 ears, hardly enough to last out the year. Ironically at the same time sweet corn was selling for 25 cents an ear at the grocers and farmer's market. Next year the corn will be missing from my garden!

With the corn gone the bastiges and the chipmunks descended on my tomatoes taking out more of them than I'm getting. Why do they always pick the biggest ones, eat a small amount, then go on to another nice 4" to 5" tomato? I think next year all they'll find in my garden is fescue grass!

Back from a little more than 3 weeks in Europe and not being able to access hunttalk.
My garden is fried, okra and sweet potatoes are the only thing thriving. End of the month will be time to start extending the garden, and beginning to replenish the soil in the existing area. Fall planting will be here before I know it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back