2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

I’ve thought for years about opening a breakfast burrito and sportsmen’s supply shop in Cameron, keep it simple, chorizo,egg,cheese, home fries, burritos and any box of ammo that has the drop data listed on the box. Also rent winches with 1760 yards of cable for 500 a day.
Not a bad idea if a guy had a bullet proof vest to wear while working the stand...

I've shared this one in the past, after my one and only time experiencing the Deckard Flats elk hunt that's so popular. This would have been an insane day to spectate hunting clowns. And proof, that it's been going on forever..

View attachment 250720
So basically it's a heritage thing, just like killing a buck on Thanksgiving.

Not that my gene pool is immune from it. I've heard way to many stories from my dad and uncles about chasing deer in a car with the roof cut off and a military surplus .30 carbine, as well as stories of pushing antelope into a fence corner. I'm just glad to say those practices ended with that generation.
At this point, is there a fix - or is all that's left is to shrug your shoulders and say "gotta love montana?"

Many years ago I shot a bull "way back in" down in Paradise Valley. It was brutally cold, but I got the elk taken apart before I hiked out in the dark. I went to a rancher friends house, spent the night, then he and I took the horses in the next day to pack it out. What an ordeal. After we got back to the ranch that night he looked at me and said, "anymore, a hardship hunt for me is manual windows."

Guessing that's the sentiment of a lot of guys on hwy 287... :D

I've shared this one in the past, after my one and only time experiencing the Deckard Flats elk hunt that's so popular. This would have been an insane day to spectate hunting clowns. And proof, that it's been going on forever..

View attachment 250720
My buddies old man used to tell us stories from the 70/80s about stuff like this. Alot of his stories were amazing back country experiences off horseback, with big elk herds. Some were super sad and sounded way too outlandish to believe it was true. I guess some people just throw fair chase out the window as long as they can get meat in the freezer.

The wildest story involved a herd of elk running off public headed towards private. Folks standing down below the herd watched as they moved further and further away towards the fence line. A hero arising from the ranks of commoners like a phoenix out of the ashes he mounted his trusty steed, a six shooter on each hip. The old boy went galloping off after the herd and got ahead of them, turned with a six shooter in each hand and started dropping elk left and right. Apparently you didn't need a rifle that day, just a good pair of running shoes to get out and tag an elk before someone else got there. Sounds ridiculous but I'm guessing there is some truth in it.

Many years ago I shot a bull "way back in" down in Paradise Valley. It was brutally cold, but I got the elk taken apart before I hiked out in the dark. I went to a rancher friends house, spent the night, then he and I took the horses in the next day to pack it out. What an ordeal. After we got back to the ranch that night he looked at me and said, "anymore, a hardship hunt for me is manual windows."

Guessing that's the sentiment of a lot of guys on hwy 287... :D
Manual windows can be a bugger when froze

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back