Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2023/2024 update !!! Norris Road Elk Hunt

I’m really disappointed that nobody was there this morning. I think that might be Esther in front of me.

View attachment 250636
My friend had just dropped me off. I'd already reached the summit of the mountain on the left with my camera equipment. I'm making a new short hunting film, to be streamed on YouTube and aired at the next BHA pint night titled, Dumbphucks Among Us.

Film drop will be perfectly timed with the premier episode of the Donkeypunch Outdoors podcast, a round table interview with 3 famous hunttalk members on their elk hunting experience (and life with their emotional support animals), one from Utah, and two from Belgrade. Topics include how to "getting to know landowners & how to say you've shot more elk than anyone" "glassing techniques and name dropping" and "finding off the grid honeyholes for once in a lifetime hunting experiences"

Last edited:
Hate to blow up a spot like this. I'm sure there's somebody out there with some sentimental history with the place, that wants their loved ones to put on flack vests, sprint out and sprinkle their ashes someday. It's only a short drive from town, go forth and enjoy, even just as a spectator.

#huntitlikeyouownit
#publicland
#elk
#montanaelk
#roadhunt
#ichabodcrane
#elkcreek
#roadhunt
#bull
#trophybull
#montanabull
#huntingisawesome
#fwp
#swarmofelk
#overthehood

View attachment 250475
If this is the place, are the hunters a quarter mile away from the improvements?

Its threads like this I wish @Wyodeerhunter (banned) was still around.

Also please tell me that Gethushin pic is actually on instagram, because I want to follow the meme page. The meth billboard in the background is my favorite part.

@Greenhorn I'm pretty sure some instafamous dude already made a film, it was titled "Fence Lines" or something equally inspiring. If you are making it, I sure hope it includes a gut shot elk, a SXS, water extraction, and my favorite part, forging a friendship with the land owner.

I remember as a kid seeing elk on the "flats" south of Ennis. My dad always said "that's not hunting," and we never once even thought about blasting one off the road or hayfields. Earn it, appreciate it, and value it. Hunting is more than punching a tag. We could have got permission to hunt about any ranch we wanted, too. Those airport and dump elk are fairly recent occurrence, in the last 15-20 years or so. They are a byproduct of no hunting on almost all the ranches now and the exponential increase in hunting pressure in the mountains. Elk aren't stupid.

It was rare in the 80s-90s to see elk on the flats during hunting season. I remember one time, maybe in 88-89? We had a lot of early snow and cold weather. Seeing the elk migrating along the river near the West Fork was amazing. A lot of elk were shot that fall. Most of the elk showed up in December/January after migrating out of the park. Back then they also had late season hunts through Feb 28, including for a while late season bull hunts. A friend of mine's family used to own one of the best ranches in the Valley for late season elk hunting. It was stupid the number of people that would show up and blast elk in January/February. His dad would guide them so they wouldn't over harvest and flock shoot. It was 100% success type deal, day after day. His dad bought the hides if they'd sell them for like $10 each. I remember the hides filling 2-3 pickup trucks stacked above the cab.

Its threads like this I wish @Wyodeerhunter (banned) was still around.

Also please tell me that Gethushin pic is actually on instagram, because I want to follow the meme page. The meth billboard in the background is my favorite part.

@Greenhorn I'm pretty sure some instafamous dude already made a film, it was titled "Fence Lines" or something equally inspiring. If you are making it, I sure hope it includes a gut shot elk, a SXS, water extraction, and my favorite part, forging a friendship with the land owner.

I remember as a kid seeing elk on the "flats" south of Ennis. My dad always said "that's not hunting," and we never once even thought about blasting one off the road or hayfields. Earn it, appreciate it, and value it. Hunting is more than punching a tag. We could have got permission to hunt about any ranch we wanted, too. Those airport and dump elk are fairly recent occurrence, in the last 15-20 years or so. They are a byproduct of no hunting on almost all the ranches now and the exponential increase in hunting pressure in the mountains. Elk aren't stupid.

It was rare in the 80s-90s to see elk on the flats during hunting season. I remember one time, maybe in 88-89? We had a lot of early snow and cold weather. Seeing the elk migrating along the river near the West Fork was amazing. A lot of elk were shot that fall. Most of the elk showed up in December/January after migrating out of the park. Back then they also had late season hunts through Feb 28, including for a while late season bull hunts. A friend of mine's family used to own one of the best ranches in the Valley for late season elk hunting. It was stupid the number of people that would show up and blast elk in January/February. His dad would guide them so they wouldn't over harvest and flock shoot. It was 100% success type deal, day after day. His dad bought the hides if they'd sell them for like $10 each. I remember the hides filling 2-3 pickup trucks stacked above the cab.
Times have changed. Gotta love Montana.

Don't forget the super sappy music and slow-mo panoramic shots. Huntress side piece optional.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back