Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2022 Failure Thread

Images because y'all are into that....

#3 is husband unit trenching out around our tent (it flooded) because we got 2" of rain in 24 hours

We miscounted the number of dinners we needed and ate grouse one of the nights.

I love elk hunting and will keep at it. This year was all at once wild, beautiful, disheartening, and painful.

IMG_3504.JPGIMG_3499.JPGIMG_3484.JPGIMG_3481.JPGIMG_3446.JPG

My deer “season” (all twelve whole days of it…thanks Oregon🙄) ended yesterday. Hadn’t drawn a local tag in awhile so it was nice to be able to hunt right out the back door for a change. That being said, never saw anything worth slipping the safety off for and with some of last years elk still in the freezer and my Cascade season still to come in a week or so, it was a “let em grow” kinda year.

…I did have to laugh though (kinda) as coming back from Costco today there was a good shooter buck standing right alongside the road. Can’t tell me that the bastards can’t read a calendar!

Yesterday I burned a PTO day to make a last ditch effort with my archery tackle of finding a local bull I’ve seen. Hiked back to the elk zone bright and early with stars still blazing in the sky and was feeling good and determined.

Before long I sunk my leg into a cold, wet, muddy bog, generally made a ton of noise making missteps on every dead stick in the woods, and winded my stink all over where I believe his hidey hole to be. It became apparent by noon that the only threat I posed to that bull was annoyance.

On the way back to the truck I flushed four grouse and thought taking a quick limit would be a nice participation trophy. Having already lost two arrows to a single elusive grouse this year I decided I’d run back to the truck and swap the bow for my little .22 Ruger pistol, then zip back the mile or so to the grouse zone.

Naturally they were long gone by then and I went home a day shorter on PTO and empty handed. All in all I’d consider that a pretty typical day of archery hunting for myself.
At least you didn't run into the bull without your bow!

Almost a complete failure to even find elk during archery season and then just making an awful shot at the only bull I saw. Turns out you are supposed to aim

I’m hoping to just find a semi respectful mule deer in the next couple weeks and put this year away

Our archery season was pretty depressing until these last couple weeks when we finally found a spot with bulls. No monsters but some decent bulls. 3 times now I have been busted by the same dinky little bull while trying to move in on a herd bull. The little guy just randomly appears, barks, and then runs off while the rest of the herd runs the other direction 🤦‍♀️ I'll eventually learn my lesson.

I've also missed 3 grouse this year with my bow....that still stings a bit.

Started off spot and stalk Sandhill crane hunting. Spent two weekends creeping around in dew and spiderweb irrigation ditches only to get to 45 yards. Wanted to get ten yards closer than that on these big birds. Hunted two of the four weekends for the tag I had and then life got in the way for the last two. Oh well, I’ll draw a tag again in a year or two. This was my first season hunting them so I opted to stay cheap and not buy decoys. I’ll buy some for next time.

I never bought a general deer tag this year as I have enough tags to fill and by the looks of things I’ll have a hard time doing it schedule-wise. Could have used that to chase a muley buck from the first of this month, all the way to November in just the nearby zones but I want to leave some time for family. I have two doe tags that start next weekend and haven’t even made it to the range yet. This fall just got busy.

I finally made it out for archery whitetail in my home state last weekend. Got up 15 minutes late, took 15 more minutes than I alloted to get to my stand so I decided to be extra quiet climbing so took a few more minutes for that. Getting settled in decided to get a sip of water so I could not move for a while after that and of course the water hit my throat wrong and I had a mini coughing fit. About 15 minutes later the wind changed direction for a minute and heard a buck snort and run off from about 100 yards away.

Our archery season was pretty depressing until these last couple weeks when we finally found a spot with bulls. No monsters but some decent bulls. 3 times now I have been busted by the same dinky little bull while trying to move in on a herd bull. The little guy just randomly appears, barks, and then runs off while the rest of the herd runs the other direction 🤦‍♀️ I'll eventually learn my lesson.

I've also missed 3 grouse this year with my bow....that still stings a bit.
Sounds like a dink bull needs to become steaks

The good: dad and I tagged out on MT antelope opening day. We have two antelope on the ground, a mile from the truck, a few miles away from any traffic.

The bad: I broke two steps of my hunt routine/"cardinal rules of hunting” and got burned. I (1st) didn’t start my gps tracker, which meant I couldn’t retrace my steps to find my keys which I (2nd) didn’t secure in a zippered pocket.

So I’m looking at a 3 mile walk to a house that may or may not be occupied to get help. Or 4 miles to a road with any traffic where I might be able to bum a ride the hour back home.

But miraculously, when I took my phone off airplane mode, I had service. Even more miraculously is that the second person I called picked up, and was willing to grab my spare keys from home and drive them out to us.

This is a failure, 100%. That said- I’ll take any miracles I can get.

Well its been a few yrs since I was back out west due to covid n getting hit by a dui driver last yr so I was pumped for this sept and got into the heat wave yea weather right lol
first few days things were looking good then 95 up on the messa spent most of my time getting water since they were only 2 springs still running the heat shut everything down and I started thinking about getting one down to the truck without losing most of the meat so packed back to truck n went north and 2600 feet higher got 20 degree temp drop but just ran out of time
It was still great being back out west
On another note I have tried to post vids on here but they dont load can anyone help? I made then down to about 4 min but still wont work

Well at least you can eliminate that as a source of fault then.... whew...dodged a bullet!
Honest question, Just curious, What’s the qualms with Mathews?? I’ve never shot one, but my BIL just bought the V3X and adores it. Shoots super fast and deadly accurate. Looks pretty stylish too.!?

Honest question, Just curious, What’s the qualms with Mathews?? I’ve never shot one, but my BIL just bought the V3X and adores it. Shoots super fast and deadly accurate. Looks pretty stylish too.!?
Every Mathews shooter

Attachments

• 149048-aa40a1a065c48f44f64f1c9b1f37e9bb.jpg
    149048-aa40a1a065c48f44f64f1c9b1f37e9bb.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 22
Hmm.... I've killed lots of whitetails (and a few squirrels) with mine. Also did fairly well at 3D shoots we went to. Not a single problem.

@dgc1963 Post it to YouTube (or another video sharing platform) and then add the link here.
Lmao I have no idea how to post anything to youtube lol or add a link lol yes its a smart phone but mostly I use it just to make phone calls
my IT department my niece will be home from college in November lol

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back