2022 dream elk hunt…

Farmerj

Hoping I can make this happen. I wanted to do it for my 50th birthday in 2017, but life stopped that. So now to make it happen for my 55th.

I want to do an elk hunt. I was prepping to do one in Idaho but that doesn’t sound like it will happen. I have a cousin who lives in Boise and even he is sounding disheartened even for himself and he’s been there now for over 35 years.

What am I wanting?

To make an elk hunting trip to ID/WY/CO/MT. I’m not a spring chicken and won’t hide the fact. I also have a history with a heart attack in 2015 at age 47. I know from experience that over 11,500 ft elevation, I have issues with fatigue etc. what flatlander from Minnesota wouldn’t though. I drive semi so get into elevation quite often. Spent most of Nov/December over 4500’ running from the Midwest to California and phoenix. When I get under 8000’, I recover fairly quick.

I know elevation will be an issue.

Because of my job, self-employed owner operator, time off isn’t a concern.

I anticipate a guided pack-in hunt for 6-8 days is likely to be $5000-7000. I get that. But it’s cheap for the safety and concerns I have.

Would I love to do a self-guided? Sure. I live in Minnesota though and acknowledge my limited to no ability to scout public land in those areas as well as the changing political environment with licensing and game management issues. No, I don’t care to drag those into this thread. I’m just acknowledging the bullshit that’s happening in the capitals of several states.

I’ll have all the needed weaponry and skills to use them. I’m building a .280 Remington and have a .30-06 as a backup. It may get swapped to a .280 Remington yet too.

TLDR;

I want to go on a guided elk hunt in wy/co/Id/mt. I’m willing to pay for a guided pack-in if needed.

I’d like to find a vet friendly package if such exists.

Yes go with a guide and you would probably learn a lot and if you wanted to try it on your own next time you will have some experience.

I have never done a guided hunt but you can contact the state outfitter associations and get list from them. Also you should mention if you want to do a public land guided hunt or private land guided hunt.

We h

We have nothing
Then I would look at NM land owner vouchers. To me with no points, once in a lifetime qualities either mean a reservation hunt or voucher for the opportunity at a good bull.

Average bulls can be had in zero point units on private land but pack in horses probably isn’t going to happen.

If you had points your cost is about right, without points it’s going to cost you significantly more. To keep it in budget, Best case is you get lucky in ID or NM draw and then get a outfitter. Possibly get a random general WY tag.

If I was in your shoes, I would call Steve Chappell. He previously had guided elk hunts in Colorado. Not sure if he still does but they might be exactly what you are looking for.

Gohunt used to have a list of endorsed outfitters as well, but i couldn't find that in a quick check of the mobile site today.
You need to make about 500 phone calls to various outfitters, state agencies, and check references thoroughly.

Last edited:
Gohunt used to have a list of endorsed outfitters as well, but i couldn't find that in a quick check of the mobile site today.
You need to make about 500 phone calls to various outfitters, state agencies, and check references thoroughly.
This looks nice…

😬😮
9EEE6981-D266-4C0C-B141-9EB845D80610.png

Give Rocky Pappas of Nine Mile Guest Ranch in Meeker, CO a call. He does a very good job and has very high success...I have hunted with him. He books up early so you will need to act soon. Elevation will be around 6-6,500'. Sleep in a warm bed and fairly easy as far as hiking...no killer steep climbing.

Last edited:
If Utah was on your list, I would recommend J&J Outfitters, out of Hennefer, Utah. Jed's 3 boys are now active in the business. They have some CWMU properties that are awesome. They have also expanded into western Wyoming.

Hoping I can make this happen. I wanted to do it for my 50th birthday in 2017, but life stopped that. So now to make it happen for my 55th.

I want to do an elk hunt. I was prepping to do one in Idaho but that doesn’t sound like it will happen. I have a cousin who lives in Boise and even he is sounding disheartened even for himself and he’s been there now for over 35 years.

What am I wanting?

To make an elk hunting trip to ID/WY/CO/MT. I’m not a spring chicken and won’t hide the fact. I also have a history with a heart attack in 2015 at age 47. I know from experience that over 11,500 ft elevation, I have issues with fatigue etc. what flatlander from Minnesota wouldn’t though. I drive semi so get into elevation quite often. Spent most of Nov/December over 4500’ running from the Midwest to California and phoenix. When I get under 8000’, I recover fairly quick.

I know elevation will be an issue.

Because of my job, self-employed owner operator, time off isn’t a concern.

I anticipate a guided pack-in hunt for 6-8 days is likely to be $5000-7000. I get that. But it’s cheap for the safety and concerns I have.

Would I love to do a self-guided? Sure. I live in Minnesota though and acknowledge my limited to no ability to scout public land in those areas as well as the changing political environment with licensing and game management issues. No, I don’t care to drag those into this thread. I’m just acknowledging the bullshit that’s happening in the capitals of several states.

I’ll have all the needed weaponry and skills to use them. I’m building a .280 Remington and have a .30-06 as a backup. It may get swapped to a .280 Remington yet too.

TLDR;

I want to go on a guided elk hunt in wy/co/Id/mt. I’m willing to pay for a guided pack-in if needed.

I’d like to find a vet friendly package if such exists.
Did you end up booking something?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back