Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2021 Spring Turkey hunting

Starting to see birds struttin' and doing their thing in Kentucky.
April 17 is opening weekend and is always a couple weeks too late imo, but kdfwr will keep all seasons where they are until the end of time... or so it seems
Same in Indiana, except we don't open until 4/21. WAY too late IMO. Best year I've had was during a cold, wet spring delaying stuff. Usually everythings greened up and most of the gobbling is over. Last year we spotted toms breeding hens 3 weeks before the opener... :(

Same in Indiana, except we don't open until 4/21. WAY too late IMO. Best year I've had was during a cold, wet spring delaying stuff. Usually everythings greened up and most of the gobbling is over. Last year we spotted toms breeding hens 3 weeks before the opener... :(
When I lived in Southern Illinois it seemed like the best days would have been before the season opened. Here in Iowa, I think they have it about right. Some years we have a blizzard during the first spring season and some years it is 75 degrees. The only season I wish they would change would be the youth season. It is always the weekend before the first season and most years it is to cold for the young hunters to have an enjoyable sit.

Season opens tomorrow. I overslept my alarm and got into the woods late. No gobles but the hens were sure fired up still. Can't wait for the morning!
The toms have been done gobbling here about 15 minutes past sunrise. I have been seeing toms out strutting later in the morning in the fields and open areas but not gobbling.

Oklahoma's season for the 8 SE counties that have easterns where I live runs from April 19th- May 6th the rest of the state is April 6th-May 6th. I've been hunting some public in western Oklahoma all week. The wind was gusting to 30 on the first two days of season making things interesting and not much gobbling except around sunrise. The last two days the wind has laid up and they're gobbling their heads off into mid morning. This morning was my last hunt before heading home couldn't find a big boy on public but got a jake to put on a great show after calling him off private onto public.20210409_095107.jpg

We had a cold snap here a week or so ago. Since then I havent seen hardly any activity
It has been warm here all week. The grass, winter wheat, and alfalfa are greening up. The birds are beginning to switch there pattern from spending most of the day in the woods to the green areas looking for green shoots and insects. It is supposed to cool off next week to the 40s for highs and temps right at freezing in the night.

Oklahoma's season for the 8 SE counties that have easterns where I live runs from April 19th- May 6th the rest of the state is April 6th-May 6th. I've been hunting some public in western Oklahoma all week. The wind was gusting to 30 on the first two days of season making things interesting and not much gobbling except around sunrise. The last two days the wind has laid up and they're gobbling their heads off into mid morning. This morning was my last hunt before heading home couldn't find a big boy on public but got a jake to put on a great show after calling him off private onto public.View attachment 180112
Nice bird! I'm not picky when a legal bird comes in range I shoot!

Passed another jake on Tuesday the opener. I'm not picky but we have a one bird per county limit and I had the whole week off just wasn't ready to be done yet.
1 bird per county limiit is interesting. Are the licenses over the counter or are they draw?

Headed to Kansas Tuesday, then on to Nebraska for a few days. In my mind, the numbers should be outstanding this year! Ill be back the day before our opener and then may try Kentucky or Michigan that weekend. Good luck and be safe!!

The toms have been done gobbling here about 15 minutes past sunrise. I have been seeing toms out strutting later in the morning in the fields and open areas but not gobbling.
Hoping to shock gobble some tonight but the last few days I’ve found a lot more elk tracks than turkey tracks in my hunting area.

Headed to Kansas Tuesday, then on to Nebraska for a few days. In my mind, the numbers should be outstanding this year! Ill be back the day before our opener and then may try Kentucky or Michigan that weekend. Good luck and be safe!!
What part of KY? Might be able to give some info depending on where

All over the counter we do have some draw/controlled hunts but they don't count towards your bag limit. 3 bird limit one per county and no more than one bird from the 8 county SE region.
Pretty cool deal.
Looking to do a hog hunt in SE OK this fall and scouting for possibly a turkey hunt next spring.
Might have to go to the panhandle and try for a Rio 😉

Back