MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2021 Spring Turkey hunting

I hunted NE Iowa for a few years. The birds on the farm I hunted always roosted just off the tops of the bluffs or hills. They would approach on the ridge tops in the evening, then just fly parallel to their roost tree. My favorite place to hunt turkeys.
If you ever decide to hunt up here again I will point you in the right direction.

My turkey season is next month and got my tag on hand. Can't wait. I have never been turkey hunting before.
Good luck to you ! I must warn you... turkey hunting is addicting !! I never hunted them until a retired. Now I hunt several states for turkeys 😁

My turkey season is next month and got my tag on hand. Can't wait. I have never been turkey hunting before.
We start April 12. I look forward to turkey hunting. Having a Tom spitting, drumming, stomping, and ready to kick someone’s butt at 10 yards is pretty addictive.

Man, I can’t wait, got SC, NC, VA, and PA lined up...working on MD and GA!
You will be busy! I am going to start hunting multiple states for turkeys. These last two springs probably would have been the year to do it since COVID opened my schedule in the spring.

Has anyone ever heard people say that it is impossible to call a turkey across a fence or up a hill or across a creek? I remember when I was a young turkey hunter I always heard more experienced turkey hunters, including my dad, say those things. I have proven that wrong several times calling birds uphill and across fences. There aren't any big creeks or rivers where I hunt, but I don't see why that would be true either
I’ve never been able to pull them across water - toms just pace back and forth. Fences are easier. I’ve found it easier to lure them up a hill than down a hill 🤷

I’ve never been able to pull them across water - toms just pace back and forth. Fences are easier. I’ve found it easier to lure them up a hill than down a hill 🤷
I know my dad hunts in a WMA that a river runs through and he says if you can’t get them to fly across the river off the roost you probably won’t. And they roost on the otherside of the river because there is no hunters on the other side since there is no access to the public. The river is about 50-75 yards wide in most spots.

I called a Tom down hill last year. It was very windy so I thought the birds would be in the bottom and they were. The ones in the bottom hung up and I heard one gobble above me. I got positioned between two rock outcroppings where he only had one spot to come down. I never saw him until he was about 5 yardds away but I could hear him spitting and drumming as he came down the rocks.

Turkeys make at least 29 audible sounds. Knowing when and how to call can make a big difference. I always try to figure a turkey out by listening to its calls and excitement. Soft clucks can bring a bird in the final 25 yards to range, but if it’s to much like a putt the game is over! And there is nothing more exciting in the Spring woods than a big old gobble of a Tom turkey just over a hill and he’s coming in hot!

I’m getting excited here in MT too. Just bought a new shotgun for my step-daughter to use. Hoping I can find some 20ga ammo to feed it though, excited to get it patterned and ready. I just might end up using it way more.

1st time turkey hunter. Going out with a bow, am I biting off a bit to much? Main reason is there are 6 gun seasons you can only hunt one with a gun. But with my bow I can hunt them all.

1st time turkey hunter. Going out with a bow, am I biting off a bit to much? Main reason is there are 6 gun seasons you can only hunt one with a gun. But with my bow I can hunt them all.

I find it much more setup dependent when archery hunting. You can shoot through underbrush with a shotgun.

On the other hand, you get to keep going out if you don’t fill your tag so quickly.

No, it will make you a better hunter. Set up so the Tom can’t see your decoy until it’s to late. Make him have to crest a hill to see where the calling is. Be ready before he gets there.

I kicked it off with the family in TX this spring. Was nice getting out of winter
That's a great line up! Congrats to all. What part of TX? My buddy was out a few weeks ago and mentioned he just bought some property and he said there were deer and turkey on it. Wooo hoo! He's just NE out of Decatur.

Cool- good luck.
I’ve only gotten into it within the past couple of years. Haven’t been successful yet, but my season is coming up in just over a month. This will be our first year on our own land.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back