2021 Spring Turkey hunting

In Field of Dreams Shoeless Joe Jackson hollers from center field “Is this heaven? And Ray kinsella answers back “No, it’s Iowa!”

Classic movie. Ill put it in top 10 for me

I kicked it off with the family in TX this spring. Was nice getting out of winter
That's awesome. Was this an outfitted hunt? I've got to find a way to spin the idea to the wife. lol She's a fair weather fan and is more likely to buckle when there are nice accommodations. My boys would eat it up no matter which way I throw it at them.

Anyone willing to spill the beans? Hitting the SD black hills in May. Is there any part of the BH unit that holds a substantial percentage of the population? Harvest data map only gives info as a whole unit that I'm seeing. I'm taking 3 first timers so it will be an adventure.

Has anyone ever heard people say that it is impossible to call a turkey across a fence or up a hill or across a creek? I remember when I was a young turkey hunter I always heard more experienced turkey hunters, including my dad, say those things. I have proven that wrong several times calling birds uphill and across fences. There aren't any big creeks or rivers where I hunt, but I don't see why that would be true either?

View attachment 176746
I can't get tons to come uphill but not cross a creek. They just stop and wait for that hen and after awhile they give up and move on.

Starting to see birds struttin' and doing their thing in Kentucky.
April 17 is opening weekend and is always a couple weeks too late imo, but kdfwr will keep all seasons where they are until the end of time... or so it seems

I can't get tons to come uphill but not cross a creek. They just stop and wait for that hen and after awhile they give up and move on.
The only time ive been in that situation it was a small river and the Tom’s would do the same thing.
Waiting for the snow to melt some here in Colorado. So far my scouting has resulted in getting my truck stuck and hiking through way to deep of snow.
That’s no good! Hopefully you had a partner or the equipment to self rescue.

The only time ive been in that situation it was a small river and the Tom’s would do the same thing.

That’s no good! Hopefully you had a partner or the equipment to self rescue.
The water shot was actually me backing out of the spot I got stuck in after getting a tow. I got stuck late in the evening trying to shock gobble birds and had a 1.5mile hike to cell service to call for help.

That's a great line up! Congrats to all. What part of TX? My buddy was out a few weeks ago and mentioned he just bought some property and he said there were deer and turkey on it. Wooo hoo! He's just NE out of Decatur.
We were in Georgewest

Starting to see birds struttin' and doing their thing in Kentucky.
April 17 is opening weekend and is always a couple weeks too late imo, but kdfwr will keep all seasons where they are until the end of time... or so it seems
Our first season open 4/12. I’ve seen a group of 4 Tom’s in a private field for about a week on my way to work that are strutting and showin off. 1 will do his thing and then the next and so forth down the pecking order. It’s kind of funny to watch.

Our first season open 4/12. I’ve seen a group of 4 Tom’s in a private field for about a week on my way to work that are strutting and showin off. 1 will do his thing and then the next and so forth down the pecking order. It’s kind of funny to watch.
That is definitely half the fun of hunting turkey's!

The piece of public ground I hunt has become very popular with hikers and bikers in the warm months and skiers and snowshoers in the winter. It’s not uncommon to see 4 or 5 cars the trailhead from sun up to sundown on a nice weekend. Before COVID there may have been 5 or 6 hikers on the trail all year. I haven’t been hearing turkeys this year as much as in the past and I have been doing a lot of thinking about where they were. I figured they were still there, because I see sign and I see turkeys in the afternoon during the week, but they aren’t gobbling. This morning I got about as far as one can from the trail and the road to where some of the deepest ravines are before the sun came up. And the turkeys responded! This year is going to be interesting in my little spot with the added pressure. I’m hopeful since I hunt Monday-Thursday there won’t be as much activity with hunters and hikers.

Set up probably 60 yards from the roost and had some up close and personal gobbles
Congratulations!!!! 1 long week until I start. It has been the warmest days of the spring today and yesterday. The birds have responded and changed their pattern. We are currently getting a good thunder boomer. It will be interesting to see how the birds respond.

Congratulations!!!! 1 long week until I start. It has been the warmest days of the spring today and yesterday. The birds have responded and changed their pattern. We are currently getting a good thunder boomer. It will be interesting to see how the birds respond.
I ready for the opener on the 10th for Colorado. Last week the spot I shot my tom last year at had almost two feet of snow so hopefully it has melted.

So which elk diaphragm call will works best for spring Turkey. I can't seem to find mine, but I have plenty of elk calls.
I use one from Phelps that is an elk diagram. I was in the same boat and couldn’t remember which is which so I just yelped with all of them. The ones that sounded good went in the turkey vest!

we got 2 pretty big seasons here in fl on private land. about 2 months in fall and 1 in the spring and they have dropped the no hunting after 1 so it's sunrise to sunset! I finally got lucky enough to move to north florida away from tampa bay and now have 10 heavily wooded acres to hunt including 600 feet of power lines with nice clearings. see plenty of does and some spike bucks and some turkeys but no big bucks yet but i'm sure there here! I bought some camo netting and a few decoys so i hope i can call some in and get a gobbler or bearded. Freakin animals are smart though and seem to know when to disappear from areas when they are open to hunting! luckily i can hunt rabbit and hog year round and looking forward to bagging some of them. Good luck to all!

The piece of public ground I hunt has become very popular with hikers and bikers in the warm months and skiers and snowshoers in the winter. ... This morning I got about as far as one can from the trail and the road to where some of the deepest ravines are before the sun came up. And the turkeys responded!
This is almost an exact description of our opening weekend spot as well. We are packing in Friday afternoon this year to avoid the 03:00am hump over to the canyons where the birds will eventually be.

I ready for the opener on the 10th for Colorado. Last week the spot I shot my tom last year at had almost two feet of snow so hopefully it has melted.
I’m hoping there are still some snow piles so I don’t have to bring in an extra gallon of water or waste my knees climbing in and out of the canyon at night.

Back