2021 Spring Bear Thread

First big game animal of 2021! Hunted my worst five days EVER, not a single bear was seen during daytime hours the first five days. I've never been this frustrated on a hunt, all five days I had a perfect wind forecast of W and NW winds. Upper winds were moving in the right direction but somehow my awesome bear spot went cold as the lower/ground winds were all pushing E. Bears would hit the bait 20min after I'd leave and spend the night. I ended up leaving the 6th morning but figured I'd check my cam quickly before making the trip back home. Took my rifle just in case and finally had some action. The wind was just right (go figure) so I still hunted to the bait. There, I found a big sow with her two 1.5yo cubs. I watched them from 20 yds away until the wind shifted slighty and she caught my scent. They slowly left the bait so I decided to jump in my treestand and give it an hour or so as I knew other bears would circle the bait while the sow and cubs were there. Sure enough, as soon as I set my rifle on my lap a bear made an appearance. Gave me a shot and I took it! Very happy with this colour phased bear. This 10 minutes of action made up for the five days of nothingness!

View attachment 183827

A pretty large fire started the day after I left close by to my site. The nearby city and RMs declared states of emergencies and started evacs. I figured my hunting season was over but we got snow today and the fire is now contained. Seems like I may get a chance to go back and work on my second tag! Eitherway, bear sausage is back on the menu, boys!
1621641653861.png

Nice work buddy

This guys GF resulted in him becoming a bear rug tonight. Came in just as I was getting ready to leave I actually climbed down the stand then saw him. Marched right in like he owned the place. Stopped at the barrel with a hard quartering to shot and the 338 win mag anchored him. Now to see if can get the GF a bear. I’m sure that coloured sow will have anew boyfriend asap and she’s been on my bait all spring
FFCB26BA-7A41-4A8C-8B46-9E189AC87396.jpeg
582AC338-DA4C-4296-AFEA-E9618ACB7CE4.jpeg49D0D930-7489-4312-8F58-24F9D1E6891A.jpeg
E2557FF9-88B2-4A5F-BC10-20E7E2FABE0E.jpeg
34BACCE0-00D1-4641-8AF6-78F17F0BDF49.jpeg

Curious, the flavor of baited bears. Least in MT seems a flavor difference between berry filled fall and grass, etc fed spring bears.

Taste a bit like dunkin' donuts or... Tim Hortons? :) Humor aside, what's the bait feed?
Nice way to put some weight on bears, I'd imagine.

Curious, the flavor of baited bears. Least in MT seems a flavor difference between berry filled fall and grass, etc fed spring bears.

Taste a bit like dunkin' donuts or... Tim Hortons? :) Humor aside, what's the bait feed?
Nice way to put some weight on bears, I'd imagine.
I use a mixture of old bread/pastries, oats, popcorn, grease and beaver carcasses. Bears don’t seem to live in a bait especially not big bears they seem to roll in and out constantly and know what the game is. They realize there is no such thing as a free meal unlike many people in this world lol.

This guys GF resulted in him becoming a bear rug tonight. Came in just as I was getting ready to leave I actually climbed down the stand then saw him. Marched right in like he owned the place. Stopped at the barrel with a hard quartering to shot and the 338 win mag anchored him. Now to see if can get the GF a bear. I’m sure that coloured sow will have anew boyfriend asap and she’s been on my bait all spring
View attachment 184035
View attachment 184036View attachment 184037
View attachment 184038
View attachment 184039
Once again..... you guys never cease to amaze. Nice work amigo!

Congrats @Sask hunter beaut of a bear!

Went and reset my bait today, glad I have an ATV, grid roads and trails are straight gumbo but this rain was long overdue. Had to off-load a few kms from where I normally do. Got my camera set up but not before taking a look at what I had from the last time I had checked it... That's a guy who's really shitty hunt turned into a good one in a matter of minutes!!!

received_804215277165985.jpeg

View attachment 184035
View attachment 184036View attachment 184037
View attachment 184038
View attachment 184039
Congrats on the bear. Do you have to bring them out whole (looking at the photo in the sled)?

Back