2021 Spring Bear Thread

Congrats on the bear. Do you have to bring them out whole (looking at the photo in the sled)?
Nope I just drug him with the quad about a quarter mile away and took care of him there. It was fairly dark when i shot him and I wasn’t wanting to skin him in the dark at the bait site. I prefer to skin and do all that in the bush. Makes carcass disposal much easier. Nothing harder then having to load a bear carcass back in the truck after skinning it and taking the meat lol.

Curious, the flavor of baited bears. Least in MT seems a flavor difference between berry filled fall and grass, etc fed spring bears.

Taste a bit like dunkin' donuts or... Tim Hortons? :) Humor aside, what's the bait feed?
Nice way to put some weight on bears, I'd imagine.

I've never had bear that was far enough from an area where baiting was legal so I quite frankly don't know if there is a difference.

For my bear bait, I do an oats/cheap dog food mixed with used frying oil and cherry Kool-Aid slurry. They seem to love the used frying oil and it sticks to their paws and they track that shyt all over the place, which in turn, brings in more bears.

I've never had bear that was far enough from an area where baiting was legal so I quite frankly don't know if there is a difference.

For my bear bait, I do an oats/cheap dog food mixed with used frying oil and cherry Kool-Aid slurry. They seem to love the used frying oil and it sticks to their paws and they track that shyt all over the place, which in turn, brings in more bears.
Making me hungry

Easy defines the tough and vice versa. Some of your past treks that brought you guys back to camp at zero dark thirty with stream crossings, etc... When you say, "easiest", it's well deserved. :) Grats guys.

I just got home from a three day spot and stalk bear camp with my brothers and some friends. My one brother got his first bear ever and it seemed like a dandy- easily 200 pounds. I got one too. Three years in a row now I’ve gotten lucky, but always with chocolate or cinnamon phase ones. One of these years I’ll get a jet black one. Mine was a bit small but well earned for sure. All bears are trophies in my book. Awesome animals. Apologies for the pics, both bears were got a dusk so we had to settle for after dark and tailgate pics.

Attachments

• 049C3CCF-9157-4836-A08F-873BECD55E94.jpeg
    049C3CCF-9157-4836-A08F-873BECD55E94.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 67
  • E15F4C36-3E24-48BB-874A-F263C8EA0358.jpeg
    E15F4C36-3E24-48BB-874A-F263C8EA0358.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • E7135C62-EBA5-474A-AEF4-B20C35DB2E79.jpeg
    E7135C62-EBA5-474A-AEF4-B20C35DB2E79.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66

When putting baits out would you think putting a grease drag on boot would work. Thinking of deer scent boot type thing but with fryer oil. Get the process started little faster? I would only have a week + a little when I go out to wy or Idaho some year. A week plus a little is what you tell your wife when it is both weekend on either of week and then work scheduled to come back Wednesday in the following week not Monday and the ability to send a message from the woods.

Back