Caribou Gear

2021 Spring Bear Thread

Recently spent a week in Arkansas chasing turkeys and scouting new country for fall bear season. Got to see a sow with 2 cubs when I let out a hen yelp and she sent her cubs up a tree...not sure what the says about my turkey calling. Scouted a new mountain that will be PRIME come September when the white oaks are ready. Found old bear scat under the leaves from last season and what appeared to be one hitting a dumpster behind a taco bell. Good luck to yall up north that are able to get out and hunt bears. I'll make it there one day but for now I'll enjoy this thread. Amazing creatures to see in the wild.

2.jpg

Had another great night, spotted a real good one, but it was a long, windy shot, and he gave me the slip when I tried to close the distance. Waited him out during about 2 hours of zero visibility and sopping wet snow, but he never showed up again.

97632417-AD21-4BED-82D5-D04FD8F80569.jpeg6262AA0D-BA30-4C7C-A1EA-F2AF3B693E71.jpeg

After the snow I spotted a different bear and ended up passing after watching it for a while. Then it was a long walk out through the grizzly pit after dark.

D4FA9A06-8B2A-47C6-A48D-B7E656BF3C51.jpeg
BBABC49E-2BC9-40CB-9874-37B7F620338C.jpeg

For the montana guys what elevations are you finding snow free? The snowtel reading seem odd this year.

There was plenty of snow up where I was yesterday. There was a bear too. That frozen lake is about 5000'. Got to 120 yards from a nice brown colored bear but thankfully he busted us before a shot was taken. We really had no business being up in those cliffs while the rocks were wet with snowmelt and the steep snow cover slides were unstable. If that bear stays up there, he is safe from me!

IMG_5951.JPGIMG_7606.JPG

IMG_7607.JPG

I had found a moose calf carcass when out looking for bears. So put a camera up as I knew a bear would find it but not sure when and what kind of bear. It took a few days and found a nice black bear had come in but didn't stick around. Just checked it again today hoping that it had come back but no luck. A grizzly found it now going to give that area to him. Going to head into another area tomorrow.

IMG_1271.JPGI__00036.JPGI__00033.JPGI__00032.JPG

Aint seen any bears last few days, did see these. The lighter one looks like it has been collared, one pics shows almost a shine off it. Taking couple days off to get some work done and do some prep for idaho hunt that starts end next week. Still no skunk cabbage or dandelion blooms on mountains here.
05-12-2021-07-33-02.jpg05-12-2021-07-32-11.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if I know what I'm looking for. Got buzzed by a drone tonight that was something new. Hopefully a few trips coming up will produce some luck. Looks like some luck being had out there. @MTPUBLICLAND coming in with style. Let's check him out....

I got one of those "memories" notifications the other day with a photo I had posted on FB from 9 years ago. It was the last spring bear I had hunted/killed. I didn't think it had been that long since I'd done a spring bear hunt. Appreciate everyone's photos and stories on this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back