PEAX Equipment

2021 In The Nameless Range

A cold road beer after a pack out might be the best beer on earth.

So true. In three days I had three. One with a buddy who helped me pack my bull out, one with my dad, and one with the buddy who shot the cow.

The year I turned 21 Montana made open containers illegal on the road. I sometimes behave as if I were grandfathered in, and driving home bloody and tired with a cold road soda in the paw is a gift from the Hunting and Beer Gods not be dismissed.

Great summary, I can't imagine what it would be like to live only an hour or so from "hunt camp" with long seasons. Hunt camp is just different than all others, you're on to something with the exertion and effort that creates the rhythm. Next year I pledge myself more time in camp.

Though I am only 25 minutes outside of one of MTs larger towns, I do live where folks travel to hunt. 20 minutes a little further into the nasty and it is fairly isolated. I also really was solidly in camp. Didn't have cell service for 5 days. Didn't talk to my wife and kids. It's not something I can do often, and maybe many can't ever do, but if you can it is worth doing.

After day 3 or so of getting back to camp around 4 in the afternoon, beat from a long hike and theorizing with my campmates over bourbon about where the elk actually are and where we should go tomorrow, I was very self aware how lordly I felt. I think in years past I may have been too out of shape to really enjoy it, but this year I woke up everyday ready to work. Of the 73 miles of tracks in the first map, I think around 35 of them happened at hunting camp.

Great story and congratulations on the bull. That’s a big deal. I shot my first elk looking down on the valley and the lights of town and I couldn’t believe how lucky I felt, having searched high and low for years prior with no elk to show for it. Nicely done, and with these gas prices, wisely done as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back