2020 Spring Bears Thread

Sat friday night and saw one little one. Been A very funny spring my baits are super slow. My old reliable only has two bears on it consistently and my new bait hasn’t been touched yet. Usually old reliable is getting at least 6-9 bears on it and emptied out every 3-5 days. Hopefully it picks up soon

I got my first bear last year, a chocolate phase old sow, and have been thoroughly hooked on bear hunting in Montana since. I went out today just walking some gated forest service roads, and was half daydreaming when I bumped a jet black smallish bear. Disappointed with myself for not staying vigilant, I continued on, this time much more aware and ready. Lady Luck was on my side about twenty minutes later when I entered a clearing and saw a bear slowly walking not 50 yards away and totally oblivious to me.

I don’t have enough experience with bears to be picky yet, so if it’s legal, I’m taking it. I was secretly hoping for a black colored bear, but with such a close encounter, I couldn’t help myself. The 7mm08 rang out and the bear ran about 30 yards before standing up and scratching at the sky before tipping over dead as a doornail. I felt even more fortunate when I came closer to realize he was a very sizable male with a big old pumpkin head. Ironically, I have bear camp next week with friends. Looks like I’ll be the camp cook and resident bourbon drinker!!!D5ACFC63-452A-475A-9806-839D47E9D65B.jpegDF006B34-A03F-45E6-88E8-5B7FD2E9B9E0.jpeg41C7A9ED-2B6F-41A4-999A-ADE3AA03E4C3.jpeg

F299E95A-52D4-47ED-9DDE-D0C9F1955C04.jpeg
Took my son out this evening for his first shot at spring bear here in SW Montana. Only a couple hundred yards from the trailhead we spotted a good bear, it was only 110 yards away, so the boy quickly got the rifle settled waiting for the bear to present the best shot. As we were waiting for the bear to turn, we saw something fall out of the tree next to, well......her. Dang it! Mama with two cubs. Very happy he didn’t get a chance to shoot. We got some crappy zoomed in photos and some shakey video of the cubs.

What a great first bear hunt for my son!

Momma bound and determined after the missed encounter Friday night, she spots the bear again. Of course it's in a horrible spot but she looked at me and said "let me do this" I usually go with her but having are kids with that wasn't happening. So, she gave it hell climbed up in there and got to within 150 of him needless to say I was impressed and it was a great step forward to letting her go out by herself. Absolutely horrible spot to get at him and she did just fine. He had other plans though and right when she got in position he fed into the trees and never came back out. We'll hit it again in a couple days.

I’ve seen one- great big one but on private 2 weeks ago. Haven’t seen anything since.

It’s on this weekend. I have secured three days off and sufficient beer supplies to head across the state to the super secret bear spot. Last time I visited, this obese little guy stuck his head in the window of the truck while I was eating a sandwich. I almost stuck my Glock up his nose and he ran off to pose for photos. As round as he is long.

3C2108F1-ABD4-4729-8289-A18B995793DD.jpeg

1 peanut tonight, momma and the kids were over the car and so was I listening to it......... next trip is going to involve myself and momma. If she gets the invite. 😁

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back