2020 Spring Bears Thread

Went out yesterday, our initial spot was too high (again). We hiked out and drove to another spot and ended up glassing 4 bears. A jet black sow with a cub, a large light brown colored bear, as well as a two toned bear. Spotting them is no problem, getting close is something completely different.

My Alberta bear guide knew he was talking to a complete bear rookie when he was teaching sow v boar, large v small, and he said that if you saw a bear with two colors, there is a reason it looks like that (not including a blaze on the chest area) The rubbed hide makes the two tone appearance. A rubbed bear will look black/brown or cinnamon/blond (or any combination).

Hope you find the bear you like and can seal the deal.

Headed to a completely random spot over the weekend just for something new. There were 4 of us and we seen 5 bears and killed two turkeys. One giant sow, 2 really little bears that I’d guess were fresh off mom, and 2 average sized bears. One of the average bears was a gorgeous cinnamon but just wasn’t quite big enough. Fun weekend though.

My hunting partner and I hit it hard this weekend. Saw one very large boar Saturday, as in 1200 yards away with the naked eye saying "yup, that's a big bear." Dropped into the canyon to cut the distance, and we lost him. Saw him again at 7:00 pm up at the top of the canyon opposite us, 1200 yards away. Saw a couple sow/cub pairs as well, but that big boar got our hearts racing... Now we're both scrambling to take Friday off work to head back up there.

6 days total and 1 sighting. Numbers are going to start turning around soon.

Update 1: The boys have finally hit the bait! Set up the bait on 2 May 20 and had nothing but crap weather. Today was the day I figured I might finally get a hit, the weather forecast was hot temps by noon with an east wind which would finally push the bait scent in a decent direction.

Update 2: I haven't seen the trash pandas on cam lately, I hope they were brutally abducted by vultures. CAW CAW!!!

Uz3yH08.jpg

tODk9G2.jpg

RIEOkTC.jpg

Any Wyoming or Montana residents have some insight into non-resident bear hunting at the moment? I'm a Colorado resident and I know that both MT and WY both have restrictions but is there any chatter about those being lifted soon? In theory, I could self-quarantine after I got there with the exception of having to buy the license in person, which presents a problem. Any insight would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm just hunting mushrooms this spring.

My understanding is that, at this time, anyone that crosses the state line into MT must quarantine. The only acceptable time to break quarantine is to seek medical care. Recommendations specifically state no recreation for those in quarantine for 14 days from entry into MT.

Attachments

• 239DA9C4-4D68-4172-B45D-06A48F3D5B79.png
    239DA9C4-4D68-4172-B45D-06A48F3D5B79.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 8
I’ll be heading out next spring hopefully for turkeys and bears.

My understanding is that, at this time, anyone that crosses the state line into MT must quarantine. The only acceptable time to break quarantine is to seek medical care. Recommendations specifically state no recreation for those in quarantine for 14 days from entry into MT.
Thanks for sharing that. That answers the question. I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back