Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2020 Spring Bears Thread

Great work guys! Sad to see the cub deal that's bullshit. Sounds like that hunter needs a 22 rd to the dome.

Day 1 in the books with the bride and a great buddy, managed to score a couple sheds along with a sighting of a bear. He eluded though, back out soon good luck to everyone!

Was able to seal the deal today in Central Montana. Decided to try a spot I hunted 2 years ago. Weather was perfect and spotted this guy feeding in a secluded meadow at around 11am. Pics don’t do justice but he measured 6’5” and weighed over 300 easily. Coat was nearly perfect (two symmetric rubs near his backside). Definitely an oooolllld bear. Balding and grey in the face and teeth worn. I’m looking forward to getting the details on his age.

Attachments

• 50232C60-5AF4-477C-95F9-43743860EC4D.jpeg
    50232C60-5AF4-477C-95F9-43743860EC4D.jpeg
    9.1 MB · Views: 154
  • 1C56E6C5-DD37-4323-AFAA-56B9260EE2EA.jpeg
    1C56E6C5-DD37-4323-AFAA-56B9260EE2EA.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 145
  • 536F9378-A43C-49D5-83A4-6C4BF8145E25.jpeg
    536F9378-A43C-49D5-83A4-6C4BF8145E25.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133
  • 11D6AF25-7A4B-446A-8C87-C7318295C217.jpeg
    11D6AF25-7A4B-446A-8C87-C7318295C217.jpeg
    8.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 9E9106FD-F920-4FEF-9F1D-DF0343FC1CD0.jpeg
    9E9106FD-F920-4FEF-9F1D-DF0343FC1CD0.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 122
I went to check on one of my good early season spots yesterday. Had to bust through a few snow drifts and cut out a handful of logs across the road, but I made it up there. Started seeing bears almost immediately. As I was glassing bear number 3 out of my truck window, I about #*&$ myself when a booming voice a couple feet from my head said "I been waiting for someone to open the road up for me!" After my heart rate settled down a bit, we had a long conversation and I pointed out the bears I had spotted. He had his daughter with him and was trying to get her first bear. While we were talking another guy pulled up. So much for hard work pays off. It really didn't bother me since I don't particularly want to shoot another bear and didn't even have my rifle with me. I left that spot to the crowd and headed back down to check a couple other cliff bands that bears frequent. Ended up seeing 3 more bears including one of the fattest spring bears I have ever seen. After watching the video of him struggling to drag his belly up the hill, I'm kind of kicking myself for deciding not to bring my rifle.

The big guy
DSCN7687.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.26.24 PM.png

A couple of the other bears
DSCN7695.jpg

IMG_9634.jpg

I went to check on one of my good early season spots yesterday. Had to bust through a few snow drifts and cut out a handful of logs across the road, but I made it up there. Started seeing bears almost immediately. As I was glassing bear number 3 out of my truck window, I about #*&$ myself when a booming voice a couple feet from my head said "I been waiting for someone to open the road up for me!" After my heart rate settled down a bit, we had a long conversation and I pointed out the bears I had spotted. He had his daughter with him and was trying to get her first bear. While we were talking another guy pulled up. So much for hard work pays off. It really didn't bother me since I don't particularly want to shoot another bear and didn't even have my rifle with me. I left that spot to the crowd and headed back down to check a couple other cliff bands that bears frequent. Ended up seeing 3 more bears including one of the fattest spring bears I have ever seen. After watching the video of him struggling to drag his belly up the hill, I'm kind of kicking myself for deciding not to bring my rifle.

The big guy
View attachment 138555

View attachment 138557

View attachment 138561

View attachment 138558

View attachment 138559
You should have shot that big fat one lol. He is big!! Of course you’ll never see him with a rifle in hand

The big guy
View attachment 138555

View attachment 138557

View attachment 138561

View attachment 138558

View attachment 138559
Your bear adventures are ones I always look forward to seeing thanks for sharing! I'm back out tonight with momma Joonas to see if we can get her ticket punched.

@theat I'm putting a vote on you throw the broomstick in the pickup and get back up there for him. He's a bear of a lifetime in MT.

This tread is really rubbing salt in the wound of not being able to get out with @theat & the gang this spring .... ugh!
Guess I'll go back to this work from home crap now...:(

Plan to check my bait and sit tomorrow. According to the weather I’ll be sitting at my new bait. No trail cam there cause some idiot forgot his SD card at home

I went out looking for a 2nd bear only to realize how lucky I was to get my first bear. I only cut tracks to a few smaller ones. Didn’t see a single bear in 3 days of averaging 13 mile days. To find this little 5’ bear track got me really excited. Just imagining seeing a bear was almost unrealistic. After seeing Theats pics though I am trying to convince my wife to let me out again.1EB4392B-AB84-46F8-9F25-32AFBDFC4F51.jpeg

Great evening with momma, snuck out for a little evening hunt and was able to turn a few bears up. Located a smaller boar right off the bat and decided to pass, hour later turned up a better one but with the timing and where he was it would've been a tough go to get him. Topped the night of with a huge sow and 2 yearlings playing around on the hill. Love seeing them things, bears have to be one of the coolest animals on the planet. Back out this weekend. Good luck to all.

Went out yesterday, our initial spot was too high (again). We hiked out and drove to another spot and ended up glassing 4 bears. A jet black sow with a cub, a large light brown colored bear, as well as a two toned bear. Spotting them is no problem, getting close is something completely different.

The only hit on my bait so far is my fat ass. Confident they will hit soon though, found plenty of scats around.

IvOIZId.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back