Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2020 Colorado Deer and Elk Non Resident Apps Poll

Are you in for a 1st choice tag or just points this year?

• Tag

Votes: 113 52.8%
  • Points. Was going to do points only regardless of the effects of Covid19

Votes: 88 41.1%
  • Points only due to Covid19 and the uncertainty of next fall.

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters
Applied for moose, sheep, goat as I am in the 3+ group and no matter how low the odds, I am still always applying for those three species as there is a chance. I did points for everything else as I am planning to hunt elk in Montana and Wyoming this fall. COVID did not change my application strategies at all this year.

Colorado is definitely one state that is going to bear the brunt of any COVID induced app reductions...I don't think it will extrapolate to states with later app dates in May and June when we are on the very downside of this virus though. Will be very interesting to see the numbers.
I don't know. I would guess that for most folks it's more of the economic factor--lost jobs, companies struggling, etc.--that will have the greater effect on whether they apply or not, rather than the current closures we are seeing, and I don't see those economic factors improving by June. But who knows? We're in uncharted territory. This is a really interesting poll.

In for a muzzy cow tag. I’ve Always archery hunted so if I draw everyone be ready for some dumb Co muzzy questions!

In for a muzzy cow tag. I’ve Always archery hunted so if I draw everyone be ready for some dumb Co muzzy questions!
Same here, always archery elk, last 3 years muzzleloader, old honey hole dried up due to DOW issuing extra cow tags, hurt the area for archery and muzzleloader. Went to 70 last yr, never seen so many camps, I notice 70, 71 now draw area for archery. Probably take a few years to come back.

Non-resident here.
I just put in for points on a few species for my son and I. That was my plan all along. Maybe we'll go hunting next year.

I don't know. I would guess that for most folks it's more of the economic factor--lost jobs, companies struggling, etc.--that will have the greater effect on whether they apply or not, rather than the current closures we are seeing, and I don't see those economic factors improving by June. But who knows? We're in uncharted territory. This is a really interesting poll.

yeah, i agree here

i think a lot of the hardcore hunters are putting in regardless of how certain they are of themselves in the coming economy

and i think a lot of not hardcore hunters are putting in regardless because they're not thinking that intensely about all of these factors - economic recession, how this affects odds, etc.

point being, if you have the means, i think this will be quite a summer to keep a close eye on the leftover/returns list

Yea, good point. I was focused more on the threat of travel restrictions/health concerns, but economics could be a much bigger factor looking forward. One things for sure, there is a lot of uncertainty in the world right now, including hunting apps and draw odds!

Colorado is definitely one state that is going to bear the brunt of any COVID induced app reductions...I don't think it will extrapolate to states with later app dates in May and June when we are on the very downside of this virus though. Will be very interesting to see the numbers.
We will just be ramping up in May and June, I'm afraid.

The HT poll-replying crowd applies for tags at a greater rate than the general populace.

2019 NR 1st choice preference point applications
Deer - 44,025/73,833 59.6%
Elk - 49,228/84,565 58.2%
Sheep - 5,278/8,938 59%

First year in a very long time, i didn't even apply. Just couldn't justify spending the money right now.

2019 Elk Applications: 203,204
2020 Elk Applications: 213,230

2019 Deer Applications: 188,371
2020 Deer Applications: 197,604

The real question is whether those applicants bought points or chose a tag for 1st choice.

I applied for an elk tag that was 62% last year with my point level. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that optimism and I probably wont draw. Just bought points for Deer but that was the plan anyway.

On another note, I saw someone claiming MT Deer/Elk applications were down 30-some % this year. Can anyone verify that? Could make sense as you don't have to apply in MT for points and it is more expensive.

2019 Elk Applications: 203,204
2020 Elk Applications: 213,230

2019 Deer Applications: 188,371
2020 Deer Applications: 197,604

The real question is whether those applicants bought points or chose a tag for 1st choice.

I applied for an elk tag that was 62% last year with my point level. I'm sure I wasn't alone in that optimism and I probably wont draw. Just bought points for Deer but that was the plan anyway.
Wow, that’s like a 5% increase in applicants. Totally not what I expected.

Points only for me in CO this year. I was 90% sure I was going to buy points only before this whole Covid situation. Side note, I didn't apply in MT and points only in WY/NV. Planning to hunt alot closer to home this year...

Back