PEAX Equipment

2018 Wyoming pronghorn

Miflatlander91

Hey guys me and my dad are looking to make our first trip out west this year originally planned on an elk hunt but he fell out of a tree a few years ago and messed his back up he’s mostly ok but figured we would start with an antelope hunt first looking to go this year but didn’t think to apply for a point last year when we did for elk o well just mainly looking to have fun hopefully shoot something if not we’ll have a blast anyways.

The problem is I had a unit picked out we could draw or get a leftover tag and lookin at onx maps thought I found some areas to hunt well after some more digging last night and the road we needed to access looks like it is closed now so time to start over. Really just looking for some personal experience in a few units worth taking a second look at. I plan on making a few phone calls to But as a back up plan any info is appreciated

Thanks guys great forum by the way!!

Thanks Matt

Check out the Access Yes portion of the WY Game and Fish website. I have shot some nice bucks off of HMAs.

Also don't plan on leftover tags since the G&F took those away for the most part. The units my wife and I hunt usually have 1-200 tags left over but there were none this year so be sure to put in for the draw.

You'll have to look towards the east side of the state. BLM/State land & walk-ins are limited, but a 'lope Can be had if you aren't after a 'Trophy". Get there a couple/three days early, scout 1st and hunt afterwards.

Also don't plan on leftover tags since the G&F took those away for the most part. The units my wife and I hunt usually have 1-200 tags left over but there were none this year so be sure to put in for the draw.

Don't know what you mean by that unless it's because there is now a second draw and actually those are for the leftover tags after the initial draw. After that second draw there are obviously a lot less tags than the way it used to be done, but the G&F didn't actually "take them away" the way you put it.

Don't know what you mean by that unless it's because there is now a second draw and actually those are for the leftover tags after the initial draw. After that second draw there are obviously a lot less tags than the way it used to be done, but the G&F didn't actually "take them away" the way you put it.

Yes I didn't word things very well. All I meant was that over the counter are basically gone so the draw is a must.

Ok you guys had
Me confused I was kind of planning on trying to maybe go for a second choice tag and get a point since I’d like to start making a trip out every year or so

Doe tags are a lot easier to get and cost a lot less. Why not come out on a couple of doe tags and learn a unit while you gain a point or two. Even 1 point opens up some decent average size buck units. Find a unit you're interested in that you can draw with 1 point and try to get doe tags in that unit next year. Get your point next year and put in for that unit the following year with a point. Don't be intimidated by the units that say limited access. With some homework and map study a lot of them have some access to get on public ground. Those units are usually easier to draw. Keep in mind that draw odds and preference points required for units are going to be a bit skewed for another year or two with people dumping points because of the price increase. Point creep hit some units this year being the last year of the lower tag prices, so many units that used to take 0 or 1 or 2 points in the past might show up as 3 or 4 on gohunt or other sights. It will all play out in the next couple of years and go back to normal.

Last edited:
I really thought about that but I think we would both be happy with just an average buck at this point not looking for a monster trophy not saying down the road we won’t get into it but for now I think we would both be super happy with a decent buck if we can get some doe tags that would be great too since me and my dad both eat what we kill

Ok you guys had
Me confused I was kind of planning on trying to maybe go for a second choice tag and get a point since I’d like to start making a trip out every year or so

Do it man. Get a unit that’s a dream as your first choice then one that’s 100% as second choice and has stable tag allocations from 17 in 18.

Worst case scenario you get yer first choice :) !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back