2017 GMU 74 Archery Hunt

Mossyhornhunter

Me and a friend will be making a archery deer hunt this year in Colorado GMU 74. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we will have any phone service while on the mountain. Thanks

Generally speaking AT&T is better on the western slope than Verizon, you will probably have decent coverage in town, spotty on the highway in places (especially in canyons). You will likely be able to find pockets of service on the mountains when you are above timberline or have good sight lines and little or no service in thick areas or areas with lots of topography in the way of towers. You my be pleasantly surprised but I always plan for no service when I'm in the back county in CO. I've lived in the western slope for most of my life/grew up there and while service is getting better I'm surprised how bad it is on I-70 in many places.

I've always found service during hunts out west.I leave phone on vibrate and when I walk into an area of service it will vibrate in my chest pocket.Then I mark these spots on gps so I can return to them and make quick calls to my wife and kids.Most times its high on the mountain in an open meadow.I also pay attention as to where I get service on the forest roads

Last time I was above timber in 74, I had very little to zero cell coverage.

Ditto Cushman..... rent an in reach if you need reliable comms up there.

It's my back yard with several mtn ranges. It depends on where you're going to hunt in 74? If you want to be more specific, I can let you know.
Mtn tops might get you some service, but most valleys will be zero. Northern 1/2 of the unit = no service generally. Southern 1/2 = sometimes.

I hunted it last year - verizon service provider. Zero service after we started getting off the main roads, and none in the mountains.

Next trip, we wil have a satellite phone of some sort.

Back