MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2016 Whitetails

BuzzH

Traveled to Montana on a quick 4-5 day hunt over Thanksgiving. I debated about going, but since I bought a deer tag to keep my points going, figured I would make the trip.

Dad, my nephew and I walked about 2 miles behind a gated road. We slowly hunted back toward the truck at prime time. We started seeing deer and pretty quick this buck just stood around a little too long. Shot was about 210 yards, used the 7-08 as usual.

Nephew and I with my buck, I had not shot a deer since 2013:

1123161635.jpg

The next day my nephew wasn't feeling real well, so my brother Matt and I decided to hunt a familiar area. Over the last 39 years we've hunted this country, we have seen tremendous changes...some good, some not so good. The thing that keeps us going back, year after year, are the whitetail bucks that we've shot over the years, and those that have given us the slip as well. Many good bucks, many close calls, some heart-breaking moments on some very good bucks...all part of the deal and why its sometimes hard to move onto greener pastures.

The deer are still there, just fewer of them and the country is getting harder to hunt every year (really growing in).

Anyway, Matt and I hunted an area that we've hunted countless times in the past. We started seeing quite a few deer tracks in the small amount of snow on the ground. We moved slowly up a flat bench, stopping often to glass the timber and open side hill to the East. Matt spotted a doe standing under a tree, a few minutes later a buck stepped out. I looked at it through the binoculars and told Matt it was a nice buck. I ranged it real quick, 280 yards up hill fairly steep. Matt got a good rest and I told him to hold dead on as he was using my 7-08. Matt took his time, the buck cleared a couple does that it was with...and one perfect shot later, Matt had his buck for 2016.

Nice heavy antlered buck:

1125160909.jpg

I just think these deer are spectacular in color, body size, and where they live. Just a completely different whitetail than those found in farm fields and river bottoms.

IMG_1263.JPG

The last day, Matt, Dad, and I took the nephew out the last day. He shot this deer, his second whitetail, with his new 7-08 using 120 grain ballistic tips. He made a perfect shot at about 70 yards, taking the top of the heart off. He had a great season, taking a cow elk in Wyoming earlier in the season, then this deer.

1126161134b.jpg

Dragging his deer to the truck:

1126161147.jpg

Had a great time hunting, saw pretty solid deer numbers and even a few elk, well worth the trip.

Fantastic hunt Buzz, congrats to your family.

I don't think anything can make me feel nostalgic quicker than a picture of a dead whitetail in ponderosa and knapweed.

Great looking bucks! Your nephew had a fine year too .

Buzz great work on the northwoods bucks. You say the hunting has gotten more difficult over the years. Why is that? Fewer deer? Habitat changes? Just made me curious about specifics.

That is a great pair of bucks for a lifetime, let alone a week of hunting.

And always fun to see a happy kid hunting.

Congrats to you and Matt for getting it done for the 3 of you.

Buzz great work on the northwoods bucks. You say the hunting has gotten more difficult over the years. Why is that? Fewer deer? Habitat changes? Just made me curious about specifics.

Several things.

1. Yes the habitat has changed to make it more favorable to the deer in regard to human hunters. It used to be a lot more open and the deer were just more visible.

2. Total mismanagement of the deer in the late 90's through 2004. Wayyy too many deer b tags were issued on an unlimited basis. The harvest numbers I got from Jay Kolbe (one of the very few FWP biologists I trust), were staggering during the unlimited B-tag era. He tried to thwart the unlimited tags the last 2 years they were issued, but was promptly "put in his place" by his supervisors (probably Mike Thompson, who should have been fired 2 decades ago).

3. Trophy cat and limited quota cat tags. Combine cat harvest being reduced by 90%+ in the area with the habitat changes making it easier for cats to kill deer...not good.

4. Yes, just fewer deer, because of the reasons above.

The deer really peaked in about 2002. The decline started in 03 and by 2005 I would say there were 25% of the deer there were in 2002. I started seeing numbers increase starting in about 2008, but the recovery has been very slow, mostly due to cats since there are very few b-tags issued.

Right now I would say the deer are back up to maybe 50% of what they were in the peak. I don't think they will get much higher either, mainly due to cats, decreased habitat via conifer encroachment, and also rumblings of starting to kill more does again. I talked to the new biologist last year about this time and he said hunters are pressuring the FWP to allow a week of doe season on A-tags. He said its either do that or dramatically increase B-tags.

I guess mob rule works in some cases for the FWP if that mob rule creates revenue and fits their agenda of wiping out Montanas wildlife. In other cases, like shoulder seasons, then doing what the mob wants doesn't matter.

Perhaps why MTFWP and their management is the laughing stock of the Western States...

Honestly, I thought it was impossible to screw up the management of whitetails that bad...but the FWP pulled it off with smashing success. Pretty amazing really.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COLBAM
Back