Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2016 plans

I haven't ice fished much the last few years. I am going to force myself to get the kids out at least a handful of time.

Cabo with the wife and friends first week of March. Didn't fish last time but I think I am going to get out once.

Pig hunt in Texas the third weekend of March. Taking the boys and my dad. Just built two 300 blackout ARs for this excursion.

Spring turkey hunt Iowa. Boys will be up first with the youth season. I really hope to get them their first birds.

Run some diddy poles for flatheads. Kids love doing this.

Apply for New Hampshire moose and Kentucky elk both long odds but what the hell. May do a archery elk hunt in CO if my college roommates invite is still good.

Deer in Iowa youth first then archery then muzzy.

Last typically is waterfowl. I used to breath it but generally now I just do it during the late season.

Oh I forgot...my 2016 PLANS...

Valles Caldera archery tag, WA muzzy big bull tag (that's what we calls them draw tags), Idaho elk draw tag, Idaho deer draw tag...
That's my plan at least :/

First child/son is being born tomorrow. So that will be an awesome start to the year!

September - Putting in for archery elk in NM, and a KS muzzleloader tag with hope of getting a mule deer stamp again.
October - Looking like WY antelope and guiding like normal.
November - Going to burn my 1 CO deer point on a third season tag. Hopefully too many people don't jump in because of the late hunt dates and I will still be able to draw the tag I want. Probably spend a couple of days looking for a whitetail here at home then too.
December - Go back to KS for the rifle season with the muzzleloader if need be.

2016 will be spent convincing my wife to drop her "every other year you can hunt out west" policy. In between formal arguments I plan on doing the following in Missouri:
January: Whitetail season runs through 1/15 and I still have some unfilled tags
Jan-March: Predator control
April-May: Turkey hunting and searching for morel mushrooms
Summer months: Lounging on the Meramec river, hopefully catching a few fish
September: Archery whitetail season opens
November: Rifle whitetail season

Last edited:
Winter: Got a few Hot Springs/Ski trips coming up - Elkhorn, Quinns, and Chico. Want to get out after coyotes a few times, I haven't for a couple years.

Spring: Shed hunt around home. Gonna try a backpack bear trip with my brother.

Summer: Fish with my kids more. My 6-year-old really was getting into it last summer. Annual backpack trip into the Tobacco Roots and possibly the Henry's Lake Range.I also really want to visit Mann Gulch.

Fall: Hunt Montana for deer and elk. Ideal situation would be to draw a Goat or Sheep tag so I'll go with that too.

Winter: Continune Lion Hunting through the season, maybe try getting into a little predator calling
Early Spring: Pick sheds and Pound some walleyes (gonna be my new kick I think)
Mid Spring into Summer: Do a few Blackie hunts and hopefully at least help my wife connect on her first bruin. APPLY FOR TAGS! PADDLEFISH!
Summer: DRAW A MOUNTAIN GOAT TAG!:D OR A BREAKS RIFLE TAG! get ready for that and fish all summer! Do some family trips:hump:
Fall HUNT HUNT HUNT,
Next Winter Lions

2017: Repeat

And in between all of that, im gonna work a little bit and spend some time with the family! My daughters about the age where she can come do some trips and I'm looking forward to that.

Happy New Year to all and I wish you guys a healthy and prosperous new year and good luck on tags and the upcoming season! Cant wait to see whats in store!

I have not completely decided, hopefully my wife draws a good WY antelope tag with 5 pts, Think i'm going elk points in WY this year, Maybe a Deer point as well, Hopefully Van Franke will apply in NV for early season deer again with me, than it will be OTC elk for ID, probably deer as well, I'll hopefully get an early antelope bow tag.... than I will put my coin in for a California BigHorn Ram here in Idaho..... I'll probably draw that.... easy tag I hear.....:hump:
Matt

I'm going to learn how to dance.

tumblr_m3cfbkNNeC1qgeyd8o1_500.gif

2016 plans.....?

First will be to watch the Seahawks win another Super Bowl :D

Then, finally finishing school ( graduate with Doctorate in Aug 2016 ) and retiring from the military after 28 years in the Reserves ( in Aug/Sep of 2016 ), should equate to a significant amount of more time to be in the field.

1- Apply again for Montana Antelope
2- Buy points in WY and CO
3- Idaho Deer, Elk and Antelope - for me and the wife
4- Trip to SD for Pheasants
5- Hopefully this will be the year either the wife or I draw a Navajo Res Elk Tag

Hope to be able to attend the HT bear hunt, would enjoy meeting and sharing a campfire/ hunt with some of you folks!

Jan kansas goose and phesant.
April Mo turkey and morels and crappie maybe kansas turkey
May June July freshen food plots by mowing check cameras
August plant small plot again.
Sept Mo archery deer opens
Oct Mo archery deer Id unit 18 elk
Nov Mo archery deer and firearms deer
Dec Mo duck and goose hunting
Make frequent visits to range to practice with the 300 rum for elk in Id and have fun and go to my sons baseball tournements in the spring and summer and possibly and a bedroom and trophy room to the house.

A November iowa rut bow hunt for sure.
Maybe a KS early season muzzy hunt.

More points in WY for lope, deer & elk as well as a deer point in Co.
Maybe look at some other states to start building points.

A spring MN turkey Tag
Spring Nebraska turkey Tag
2- SD pheasant hunts
WY antelope
New Mexico Elk?
Wy deer?
SD west river deer?
SD Hills Deer?
MN Rifle deer
Montana Deer?

Elk: archery in SE Montana. No need to kill one, just enjoy playing cat and mouse with bugling bulls.
Deer: Take a 180 mule deer if I can find one I like during the summer. (not holding my breath on that happening) Most likely will hunt still whitetails in the timber a few times.
Shed Antlers: Get out every chance I can.
Goals. 365 shed antlers. The goal I set every year. Don't make it very often but I think I have a good chance this year as there is very little old grass from last year. A lot depends on the amount of snow
3 mule deer antlers better than 75. ( man that is discouraging. had a lot of days better than that in the 80's and 90's)
5 elk antlers better than 160. ( have never done it but think I have a chance this year.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back