2016 plans

CO Muzzleloader Bull Elk
CO Rifle Antelope
CO 3rd Rifle Mule Deer
CO 4th Rifle Cow Elk

I love living here. That's more hunts than I have vacation for. I will have to start saving to offset the week unpaid.

I'm hoping luck is at my side and I burn my Utah elk points.

If not I will head to MT, or CO to chase them with my bow.

Then the usual IL whitetail here at home.

Next couple months work on thinning the coyote population in my favorite deer unit.

Spring bear here in ID

Then hope the draw gods smile on us for WY, ID, CO

If not- hunt ID archery antelope, general deer, elk and maybe pick up a left over tag elk in MT or CO.

Hopefully the year starts out with another HT bear hunt :D Should be doing a turkey hunt over my birthday in May. I think I'm skipping archery elk this year while I find a new spot and stick with archery antelope this year. Hopefully my wife will draw her muzzleloader buck tag, or else, we'll pick up a couple of leftovers. I'll be putting in for a RFW deer and cow elk tag this year and burning my deer points to get back down even with my wife. We were invited to Iowa, so if the invite still stands, I think I'll just have my wife hunt in 16 and I'll get a point and try for the regular shotgun draw in 17. Been talking to another HTer about a possible 2nd or 3rd season OTC rifle elk and leftover cow hunt up somewhere on the western slope. He said the terrain isn't that bad, so I should be ok with it, but, I can always go fishing. Another HTer said he MIGHT tell us where him and his wife shot deer out near me, in some secret location within 2 hours of my house, so that we could get my wife a doe tag as a second choice. I don't know if Wyoming is in the cards this year, but I'll be getting points for me and my wife anyway for antelope. My daughter's boyfriend really wants to start hunting, so I'll get him in on some stuff too.

God willing I plan to run my hounds and chase some cats this winter, coons in the summer months. I hope to draw a pronghorn tag in Region 3 Montana, and a elk b tag in Region 3. I will hunt bull elk in southwestern MT in the early part of rifle season and whitetails at my house in the Flathead valley later in November. A lot can change in the course of a year and only God knows the future.

AL North deer season through end of JAN.
MS South deer season through FEB 15.
AL/MS Turkey season MAR - MAY.

Then rest, fishing, and USAR duty over the summer. .

SEP starts archery deer season again.

OCT - WY general tag elk hunt.

Planning to shoot my first bull elk, hopefully do some spring bear hunting, apply for moose, antelope, and extra doe tags. Be a better dad as I try to balance my passion for hunting with my passion for loving my one year old daughter Elenore. Wife wants to apply for deer and go on her first elk hunt so I need to work that into the mix. Really want to take a kid hunting and be a role model for them. I'm currently sitting in Seattle en route to Florida for a conference with my wife for 7 days. I'm blessed beyond measure so whatever happens during my hunting season is just another thing that helps me see how my cup over flows.

Try for turkey this year. Also try to get a bigger buck than my 4 pointer this year.

Well, a lot of my plans just got screwed...my soon to be brother in law just informed me that him and my sister are getting married September 24th and I'm in the wedding....ugh

Who in the hell gets married during hunting season? :confused:

Last edited:
Arizona javelina hunt in about a week and then hunting everything I can in Idaho the rest of the year.

Bowhunt WTs and chasing birds here in MN. Montana for elk/deer with the bow and likely back with the rifle if I don't tag out. General zone unless I draw 410. The trip with the wife this year is looking like a Wyoming antelope and maybe deer hunt. Lots of research to do for that hunt prior to the draw to find a spot. Getting sent to Pueblo CO for some training in June so I'll spend a week slowly working my way home scouting on the way.

Bowhunt WTs and chasing birds here in MN. Montana for elk/deer with the bow and likely back with the rifle if I don't tag out. General zone unless I draw 410. The trip with the wife this year is looking like a Wyoming antelope and maybe deer hunt. Lots of research to do for that hunt prior to the draw to find a spot. Getting sent to Pueblo CO for some training in June so I'll spend a week slowly working my way home scouting on the way.

Look me up when you get to Pueblo. I live an hour East of there. I'd offer a good home cooked meal or a couple :D My wife is from Pueblo, so she can tell you the good places to eat.

Last edited:
I'm limited to one hunt out west per year. My dad should draw an elk hunt in WY this year. If for some reason he doesn't draw the tag, it will be a CO elk hunt for me...probably OTC.

Other than that...whitetails here in MN.

I for sure will draw a CO archery mule deer tag. About 90% chance of drawing a late archery elk tag in AZ. Getting close on an archery mule deer tag for the AZ Strip. I thought that was a slam dunk in 2016 but the points to draw jumped by 4 in 2015. Should be about time to cycle another rifle mule deer tag in NV, but you never know with the way their draw system works. I will always be in the sheep tag lotto as well.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back